debian-9 sys-net, random MAC buggy

qubenix

Dec 15, 2016, 1:51:07 PM12/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I've used the docs[1] to randomize my MAC on sys-net with debian-9 as
it's template. At first everything was working normal, but I've noticed
now that my MAC is only randomized until I connect to a network. At that
point it switches back to the original MAC. Anyone else experiencing this?

Second issue is that it seems my eth0 is never randomized. Any users
with the same experience?

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

Reg Tiangha

Dec 15, 2016, 1:58:35 PM12/15/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/15/2016 11:50 AM, qubenix wrote:
> I've used the docs[1] to randomize my MAC on sys-net with debian-9 as
> it's template. At first everything was working normal, but I've noticed
> now that my MAC is only randomized until I connect to a network. At that
> point it switches back to the original MAC. Anyone else experiencing this?
>
> Second issue is that it seems my eth0 is never randomized. Any users
> with the same experience?
>
> [1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/anonymizing-your-mac-address/

I've had that happen ever since I tried it so I just assumed it was a
bug or a hardware issue that doesn't allow my wifi adapter to change. If
there's a workaround or an extra package to install to make it work
properly, I'd love to hear it. I get the same issue with NM on Debian 9
or Fedora 25, as well as the macchanger method. It does scramble the MAC
address when it's not connected to an access point, but reverts to the
original one once it connects to a network.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 16, 2016, 12:52:56 AM12/16/16
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Andrew David Wong

Dec 16, 2016, 12:55:21 AM12/16/16
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Chris Laprise

Dec 16, 2016, 1:39:09 AM12/16/16
to Reg Tiangha, qubes...@googlegroups.com, qub...@riseup.net, Andrew David Wong
The main issue here is that the correct config keyword
"cloned-mac-address" reverted to an incorrect (non-)keyword
"assigned-mac-address" that was used in an earlier version (see
https://github.com/tasket/qubes-doc/commit/27dcc6f142d627293d7788cbd5610b4f6b4f2df5
).

Somehow this got changed back to the original, mistaken keyword here:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/commit/a9a82bedf092eec13e774dc50cbc6f83f0ef2182

The "assigned-mac-address" is a property for NM's dbus interface ...not
in the config parser where "cloned-mac-address" is used (see gnome.org
link below).

--

With that said, there is an actual NM bug where it ignores randomization
settings when connecting to an AP. This bug bit me and the workaround

https://mail.gnome.org/archives/networkmanager-list/2016-October/msg00019.html

Chris

qubenix

Dec 16, 2016, 12:22:14 PM12/16/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Chris Laprise:
Ah, that was my mistake/commit. I apologize, I did not see this
documented before. Thank you for helping me to realize this confusing
situation.

The worst part, really, is that the only place in the man pages where
random vs. stable is documented is in the section that specifies that
`cloned-mac-address` is deprecated!?! It would be really nice if this
were also doc'd in the `keyfile` or `ifcfg` pages. So now the Qubes docs
have to point to a page that is going to recreate this situation over
again.

Relevant NetworkManager doc pages:

https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings.html
https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings-keyfile.html
https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings-ifcfg-rh.html

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

Chris Laprise

Dec 16, 2016, 1:30:12 PM12/16/16
to qubenix, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/16/2016 12:21 PM, qubenix wrote:

> Ah, that was my mistake/commit. I apologize, I did not see this
> documented before. Thank you for helping me to realize this confusing
> situation.
>
> The worst part, really, is that the only place in the man pages where
> random vs. stable is documented is in the section that specifies that
> `cloned-mac-address` is deprecated!?! It would be really nice if this
> were also doc'd in the `keyfile` or `ifcfg` pages. So now the Qubes docs
> have to point to a page that is going to recreate this situation over
> again.
>
> Relevant NetworkManager doc pages:
>
> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings.html
> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings-keyfile.html
> https://developer.gnome.org/NetworkManager/1.4/nm-settings-ifcfg-rh.html

Yeah, I initially made the same mistake. :) Per what Thomas said in the
linked NM thread, the current NM documentation is confusing.

Chris