Re: [qubes-users] Where is Chrome once installed?

Andrew David Wong

Dec 5, 2016, 3:41:21 AM12/5/16
to Patrick Bouldin, qubes-users

Max gokey

Nov 30, 2017, 12:14:10 PM11/30/17
to qubes-users

I get a error when i type it in "nothing provides libssl3.so(NSS_3.28)(64bit)

Ray Joseph

Dec 4, 2017, 3:00:33 PM12/4/17
to qubes-users
How to do I get Chrome up?

The instructions worked great:
I right clicked on the desktop, highlited 'personal', selected Firefox from the context menu.
Firefoxed worked, so I navigated to this forum, found this thread and copied the line to install Chromium.

I opened a Fedora25 template, terminal and
input -

sudo dnf install --enablerepo=google-chrome google-chrome-stable

answered 'yes' a couple of times and success. It was done.

Back to dom0, right click on the desktop, selected applications, right clicked on Fedora 25 template and there was no Chromium, which I expected to look just like the personal Firefox.

Did I do something wrong? What might I have missed?

BTW, I am a newbie, I have installed v3.2 for a couple weeks, moved to v4.0 (experienced unstable USB), and loaded v4.0 rc1, rc2, and now rc3. USB keeps getting more stable. Sometimes the laptop still boots up without a keyboard or mouse.

Ray

Steve Coleman

Dec 4, 2017, 4:58:38 PM12/4/17
to Ray Joseph, qubes-users
On 12/04/2017 03:00 PM, Ray Joseph wrote:
> How to do I get Chrome up?

Take a look under /opt/google/chrome and it should be there, and thus
visible in all the VM's based on that template you installed it in. You
should have a google-chrome.desktop file in /usr/share/applications
which will allow you to use the menu "add More Shortcuts.." entry to add
it to your selected VM's menus.

If you work from the command line you may have to add this directory to
your PATH environment variable in your .bashrc file as well. I just add
a link to my /opt/bin directory and add that one directory to my path.
Your mileage may vary depending on how you like to do it.

William Fisher

Nov 8, 2018, 11:36:00 PM11/8/18
to qubes-users
I tried that command in Qubes 4. I created a VM for chrome and started it using the Chrome App listed on the VM and.... nothing. No Chrome, no errors no nothing!

pieter lems

Nov 9, 2018, 5:45:44 AM11/9/18
to William Fisher, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Did you install chrome in a template VM? If yes select the AppVM (in which you want to use chrome) in the qube-manager and edit the settings so that the AppVm uses chrome.
Hope this helps. Otherwise check out the tasks at the bottom of the page at this link : https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/software-update-vm/

On Fri, Nov 9, 2018, 5:36 AM William Fisher <wmfis...@gmail.com> wrote:
I tried that command in Qubes 4. I created a VM for chrome and started it using the Chrome App listed on the VM and.... nothing. No Chrome, no errors no nothing!

unman

Nov 9, 2018, 9:01:45 AM11/9/18
to qubes-users
On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:35:59PM -0800, William Fisher wrote:
> I tried that command in Qubes 4. I created a VM for chrome and started it using the Chrome App listed on the VM and.... nothing. No Chrome, no errors no nothing!

You have trimmed the previous material so it's completely unclear what
you are referring to. :-(

This works for me:
In Templates:
Debian - sudo apt install chromium

Fedora - Download rpm from chrome site and install using 'dnf install
chrome....rpm'

Creating qubes based on these templates produces correct menu items ,
and selecting the menu item starts the qube and opens chrome (or
chromium)

It seems that this hasn't worked for you.
Can you please say what template you have are using, and what steps you took
to install chrome.

unman

William Fisher

Nov 9, 2018, 9:06:44 AM11/9/18
to Unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I tried 3 different methods last night, finally one worked and it showed up for me this morning after restart.

Thanks

pieter lems

Nov 9, 2018, 9:42:19 AM11/9/18
to William Fisher, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Which method was it. It can be handy if other users can also profit if they run into the same problem. Glad you fixed it!

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group.