New with Qubes

27casa...@gmail.com

Jul 1, 2019, 3:37:24 PM7/1/19
to qubes-users
Hi, if some one uses Tor with whonix gateway on a publicnetwork and all the trafic on that Network was supervised. What would that users activity look like?

I also get a mesage saying that "kernel module failed loading" (I might have misspelled that). What is that?

Thanks and best regardes

awokd

Jul 1, 2019, 7:38:28 PM7/1/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
27casa...@gmail.com:
> Hi, if some one uses Tor with whonix gateway on a publicnetwork and all the trafic on that Network was supervised. What would that users activity look like?

Any traffic from VMs connected to Whonix gateway/sys-whonix would only
appear as Tor traffic. Best way to make sure is to set up your own
packet capture off the wire.

> I also get a mesage saying that "kernel module failed loading" (I might have misspelled that). What is that?

Cosmetic error. Ignore.

27casa...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2019, 3:49:43 AM7/2/19
to qubes-users
Thanks for youre reply.

What dose this mean (not asking how its don at this point):

"Best way to make sure is to set up your own
packet capture off the wire."

And what difference would it make?

awokd

Jul 2, 2019, 7:37:31 AM7/2/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
27casa...@gmail.com:
On mailing lists like this one, please include a portion of the text to
which you are replying. Anyways, it means to set up a monitor or packet
capture of your own traffic. That way you can learn exactly what it is
doing. Doing it at the network level is best, but you could also do it
in sys-net.

27casa...@gmail.com

Jul 2, 2019, 9:14:39 AM7/2/19
to qubes-users
Any links on this explaining it in depth and showing how to sett it up?

I looked in to Qubes site but dident find it.

awokd

Jul 2, 2019, 6:47:05 PM7/2/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
27casa...@gmail.com:
> Any links on this explaining it in depth and showing how to sett it up?
>
> I looked in to Qubes site but dident find it.

Please cite the relevant portion(s) of the post to which you are
replying. Packet capturing is not Qubes specific, so a standard Internet
search should provide plenty of details on the technique. It's the best
way to see and learn exactly what traffic is coming from your machine;
more than anyone on a mailing list can tell you. It's also entirely
optional- you can stick with my first answer of "Tor traffic" if you
don't care about the details!

Claudia

Jul 3, 2019, 9:12:31 AM7/3/19
to 27casa...@gmail.com, qubes-users
27casa...@gmail.com:
> Any links on this explaining it in depth and showing how to sett it up?
>
> I looked in to Qubes site but dident find it.

You should be fine without doing any packet capture. As long as you
install and use the whonix VM and leave most everything as default, you
shouldn't have to worry much about leaks. It's quite a reliable setup,
as long as you don't do anything unusual when installing/configuring.

awokd is right in that your upstream will just see Tor traffic. Much
like if you use a VPN, they will see VPN traffic. Tor traffic is
designed to look (superficially) like generic HTTPS traffic. However, if
someone knows what they're looking for, it's not hard to recognize Tor
traffic based on its characteristics.

If this is a problem for you, you can try using pluggable transports[1]
and/or bridge nodes. The 'meek' transport, for example, makes Tor
traffic look like regular traffic going to Google App Engine.

Someone might be able to help you better on one of the Tor mailing
lists: https://lists.torproject.org/

[1] https://2019.www.torproject.org/docs/pluggable-transports.html.en

This free account was provided by VFEmail.net - report spam to ab...@vfemail.net

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!