X230 won't boot into Qubes after installing 4.0

Andreas Rasmussen

Apr 1, 2018, 4:44:41 AM4/1/18
to qubes-users
I tried to install Qubes 4.0 on my Lenovo Thinkpad X230. The install went smoothly without having to do any work in the BIOS.

However, upon reboot/startup I get the following error and then a black screen. Any clues to how I should continue?

I installed Qubes 3.2 without problems and have been using 3.2 on this machine since the release.

best,
Andreas

IMG-0300.jpg

799

Apr 1, 2018, 4:53:43 AM4/1/18
to Andreas Rasmussen, qubes-users
Hello Andreas,

Andreas Rasmussen <journalistand...@gmail.com> schrieb am So., 1. Apr. 2018, 10:44:
I tried to install Qubes 4.0 on my Lenovo Thinkpad X230. The install went smoothly without having to do any work in the BIOS.

However, upon reboot/startup I get the following error and then a black screen. Any clues to how I should continue?
[...]

Check this here:

I am unsure if iommu=no-igfx is the right option for the X230.
I would press "e" on boot and edit the grub prompt, let us know how it works with changing the iommu-setting upon boot.

[799]

Message has been deleted

berto0...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 1:49:36 AM4/11/18
to qubes-users

We discussed this issue recently on this mailing list. I also tried the suggestion from above now, and it did not fix it on my Thinkpad X230. The default iommu=no-igfx option works fine though.

However, the suggestion by awokd is working for me. Add the two lines to the kernel sections in Xen.cfg as in https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#cannot-start-installation-installation-completes-successfully-but-then-bios-loops-at-boot-device-selection-hangs-at-four-penguins-after-choosing-test-media-and-install-qubes-os-in-grub-menu .

799

Apr 11, 2018, 3:33:12 AM4/11/18
to berto0...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Hello,

As the link to the Qubes-docs seems to cover UEFI, I assume you are using UEFI on your X230?
If so, may I ask why? I am running Qubes 4 on my X230 and had no problems installing it, but I've installed from one of the Release Candidates and I have also not used UEFI as I don't see any benefit.
I am using Coreboot with SeaBIOS as Payload and everything works supernice and like the best Laptop I have ever had.
There is one issue with my sys-usb which I need to resolve but I am unsure if it is related to 4.0 or Coreboot or just myself.

[799]

berto0...@gmail.com

Apr 11, 2018, 8:57:04 AM4/11/18
to qubes-users
Hi 799,

just to be clear, my only intention was to help fellow newbie Andreas not to jump on your attempt to help.

> I am using Coreboot with SeaBIOS as Payload and everything works supernice and like the best Laptop I have ever had.

The Thinkpad X230 is a good laptop -- that's why I bought it after all. A solution that asks for opening your laptop case with a screwdriver and a connect a hardware IC flasher to the motherboard is just not practical for everyone. I might try some time in the future, though ;)

Tai...@gmx.com

Apr 11, 2018, 5:01:21 PM4/11/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
It is very easy to do - just buy a USB CH341A plus the correct SOIC8
clip with a cable and make sure it is properly oriented should cost you
around $10-20 for both.
It takes only around 10 minutes to do and I highly recommend it.

I also suggest buying a *20 series non-chiclet keyboard while you are at
it, it is a good mod.
0xDF372A17.asc

799

Apr 14, 2018, 2:01:39 AM4/14/18
to Tai...@gmx.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Taiidan,

Tai...@gmx.com <Tai...@gmx.com> schrieb am Mi., 11. Apr. 2018, 23:01:
(...)

I also suggest buying a *20 series non-chiclet keyboard while you are at
it, it is a good mod.

Is it possible to place the older non-chiclet keyboard in a X230?
If so, do I need to modify my laptop in such a way that I can't go back to the Chiclet Keyboard (example selling the device)?

Would love to use the older keyboard I had on my X200.

[799]

Andreas Rasmussen

Apr 14, 2018, 3:49:13 AM4/14/18
to qubes-users
I forgot to reply with my solution: To install with legacy instead of UEFI. I don't know why it didn't occur to me sooner; I guess I was pre-occupied with the fact that Qubes 3.2 worked fine with UEFI. So after four days of struggling I tried with legacy and it just works :)