How to fix an empty dom0 application menu

hyperfekt

Mar 7, 2018, 1:59:09 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
While trying to reinstall some templates my dom0's application menu just broke, with every .desktop file gone.
I wanted to document how to fix this for others - use this command:

sudo qubes-dom0-update --action=reinstall $(rpm -qa | grep 'qubes\|xfce4' | grep -v 'template\|kernel')

What it does is the following:
Get a list of installed packages,
filter for those of Qubes or xfce,
filter out any templates or the kernel,
and then reinstall them.

This should restore all the desktop files and with that your application menu.

sevas

Mar 7, 2018, 3:08:47 PM3/7/18
to qubes-users
Thanks! Im making a note!

+1

awokd

Mar 7, 2018, 3:19:47 PM3/7/18
to hyperfekt, qubes-users
Could you provide more details of what exactly you did when it broke? Like
Qubes version, if you're on current or testing, what VM/template you're
using as your UpdateVM, what template you re-installed and how, etc. Could
be something worth filing as an issue, especially if multiple people are
hitting it.

Unman

Mar 7, 2018, 3:36:18 PM3/7/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, hyperfekt, qubes-users
This problem (and it's solution) crops up many times on the list. So
there's an argument that it should reach the FAQ.
But it also shows a problem - that people dont search (and research)
problems before posting. (I exclude OP from this because s/he found a
solution for themselves.) Many times you'll see problems raised that are
covered on the list or in the docs, or could be solved with a minor
search.
The list could be treated as a cumulative source of knowledge - the
proposed userspace on github could incorporate such things. I'm just
worried that it will be yet another place that people dont look.

awokd

Mar 7, 2018, 4:00:09 PM3/7/18
to Unman, aw...@danwin1210.me, hyperfekt, qubes-users
If multiple people are experiencing something unexpected like their dom0
application menu getting wiped on a template reinstall, doesn't that make
it a bug/Issue even if a work-around is available? Looks like it is
already a known issue, though:

Unman

Mar 7, 2018, 4:52:25 PM3/7/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, hyperfekt, qubes-users
It is a known issue, and one solution is linked from there, and the
source of the bug identified.
Other workrounds have been put forward on this list (many times).
Which sort of proves my point.
Message has been deleted