RC 4.0 Bootup problem

Mr F

Feb 12, 2018, 12:20:44 PM2/12/18
to qubes-users
Hi!

This problem is most likely not unique but I dont know how to formulate this screen in writing in order to search for others that might have the same problem (Please see the attached image)

Using a Lenovo Yoga 720.

From this menu I have tried these two suggested fixes:

1) "In GRUB menu1, select “Troubleshoot”, then “Boot from device”, then press e.
At the end of chainloader line add /mapbs /noexitboot.
Perform installation normally, but don’t reboot the system at the end yet."

2) "In GRUB menu1 press e.
At the end of chainloader line add -- efi=attr=uc.
Perform installation normally, but don’t reboot the system at the end yet."

None of them work and the system halts showing the attached screen.

20180212_172824.jpg

Mr F

Feb 12, 2018, 12:29:40 PM2/12/18
to qubes-users
Correction: the version is Qubes 4.0 RC4

awokd

Feb 12, 2018, 4:55:45 PM2/12/18
to Mr F, qubes-users
On Mon, February 12, 2018 5:20 pm, Mr F wrote:

> Using a Lenovo Yoga 720.
>

> None of them work and the system halts showing the attached screen.

Check here. It's for R3.2 but might help. Skip the part about updating the
kernel, 4.0 already has it.
https://mail-archive.com/qubes...@googlegroups.com/msg15351.html

Yuraeitha

Feb 13, 2018, 5:51:15 AM2/13/18
to qubes-users
In addition to what awokd suggested which I agree with.

Is this the installer boot? or an existing install boot?
If installer boot or after boot from after finished new install, then try re-install with LegacyBIOS/Grub instead of UEFI/EFI, besides UEFI/EFI really isn't any more secure, while LegacyBIOS/Grub is old, UEFI/EFI is crapware, so they even out somehwat, however you may have an easier time with LegacyBIOS/Grub. With little information you get a lot of suggestions though, so there are plenty of other things you can try, for example look here for more things to try out, even if the reason is different, this debugging and fix work-arounds could work for you too: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/M5laQSahuiE

In order to give more accurate help, we'd need more information. For example questions, such as like those I asked the other guy in the link.