4.0 install stuck on "Installing qubes-template-fedora-26.noarch (947/1018)"

Tomas Vrba

Apr 4, 2018, 7:05:37 PM4/4/18
to qubes-users
Hi everyone,

I am upgrading from Qubes 3.2 to 4.0 and I am running into issues during installation on Dell XPS 13 9343.

My goal is to install Qubes 4.0 on an external Samsung T5 USB 3.1 SSD. I created the installation media in Windows using Rufus as specified and every time I try to install the system it completely freezes either at:

"Installing qubes-template-fedora-26.noarch (947/1018)"

or

"Installing qubes-template-debian-9.noarch (948/1018)"

and I have to do hard shutdown.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

awokd

Apr 5, 2018, 5:15:57 AM4/5/18
to Tomas Vrba, qubes-users
Define "completely freezes", please. Does the bar stop moving but you
still have mouse/caps lock keyboard light response? How long have you let
it sit?

Tomas Vrba

Apr 5, 2018, 1:57:12 PM4/5/18
to qubes-users
Sorry, I should have been clearer on that.

By completely, I mean completely. No mouse movement, no keyboard lights, nothing. I had let it sit like that for multiple hours and nothing changed. The only thing I can do is hold the power button to shut down.

It is not the SSD issue, I've tried installing it on 64GB USB stick as well and the same thing happens.

It's not an issue with Rufus either, I dd'd the image in ubuntu as well. Same thing.

I did verify the ISO signatures and checksums and everything is as it should be.

cooloutac

Apr 5, 2018, 4:52:03 PM4/5/18
to qubes-users

are you sure you are waiting long enough time? tried using dd on to a diff usb stick, diff port?

Tomas Vrba

Apr 5, 2018, 5:07:39 PM4/5/18
to qubes-users

Yes, tried different ports and different computers for the dd. I have not yet tried a different USB stick to put the install disk on though, so that's the next step.

I did just try installing on the internal M.2 ssd of my XPS 13 where Qubes 3.2 used to live instead of an external drive and ran into exactly the same issue.

awokd

Apr 5, 2018, 5:48:47 PM4/5/18
to Tomas Vrba, qubes-users
Sounds like a hard lockup then, which is strange because I thought all the
installer was doing at that point was a standard RPM package install.
Update BIOS and/or run a memtest maybe?

Tomas Vrba

Apr 5, 2018, 10:02:15 PM4/5/18
to qubes-users
I will get around to that hopefully over the weekend.

In the meantime I installed Qubes onto the external SSD using another machine and that worked fine. It even gives me the grub menu and starts booting on my XPS laptop now. However, a new issue surfaced. The computer restarts every time after when the startup process is on the "Disk password" prompt screen.

How could I troubleshoot what's happening here?

Tomas Vrba

Apr 5, 2018, 10:08:29 PM4/5/18
to qubes-users
Sorry for the additional post.

In the above situation, it only restarts when I enter the correct password. When I enter an incorrect password, it reprompts me.

Tomas Vrba

Apr 6, 2018, 7:56:57 PM4/6/18
to qubes-users
***UPDATE***

I updated BIOS and I can now install Qubes 4.0 in legacy boot, but not under UEFI, the installation still freezes the same way there. However, the reboot issue persist and I still can't boot into the system even with legacy boot.

I have followed most of the advice on this page:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/uefi-troubleshooting/#a1-2
But to no avail.

Indeed my xen.cfg is empty but when i try populating and then running efibootmgr I get an error "EFI variables not supported on this system" since I installed in legacy mode.

I would really love to upgrade to 4.0. I'd never had any issues installing 3.2 but after almost a week wasted unable to even install and boot, it's getting quite frustrating.

I'd love to hear any additional ideas on how to fix this.

Eric Kelly

Aug 18, 2018, 4:51:02 PM8/18/18
to qubes-users

@Tomas

Try disabling the integrated sound card on the xps bios and then booting.