Trouble reading data CD under Qubes

Pawel Debski

Dec 3, 2016, 6:21:49 AM12/3/16
to qubes-users
Folks,

I have a PC with two SATA controllers: primary master holds my SDD with Qubes, while secondary master has CD drive attached.

When I insert a data CD it gets mounted by dom0 and the files are accessible. I do not want to open these files in dom0 however. So in the VM Manager I right click my favourite perssonal-full-sw appVM that I created previously and select:

Attach/detach block devices -> Attach dom0:sr0

and nothing happens.

Even more: CD content is still visible in dom0 and /dev/sr0 is still mounted in /run/media/pdebski/CDTITLE

How can I better diagnose the problem?

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Dec 3, 2016, 6:53:02 AM12/3/16
to qubes-users
Try using qvm-block -l and then attach the device using qvm-block. If that fails, you can attach the entire sata controller (and not just the drive)

Pawel Debski

Dec 3, 2016, 7:33:29 AM12/3/16
to qubes-users
Here is the progress:

(in dom0)
qvm-block -l
dom0:sr0 ... attached to fedora-full-sw as xvdi

now in fedora-full-sw Konsole I need

[user@fedora-usb ~]$ su - root
[root@fedora-usb ~]# mkdir CD
[root@fedora-usb ~]# mount /dev/xvdi CD
[root@fedora-usb ~]# df
/dev/xvdi 8038 8038 0 100% /root/CD

and voilà, I can read the files.

HOWEVER: can you imagine a normal user doing this?
(I can't, she/he would kill me with his laughter ;-)

How can I make Fedora read the CD and mount it automagically so all is visible in AppVM File Manager just after inserting CD?

Grzesiek Chodzicki

Dec 3, 2016, 8:45:35 AM12/3/16
to qubes-users
The easiest (although not really obvious) way would be to attach the entire SATA controller to the VM. Works for USB, should work for SATA too.

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 3, 2016, 11:07:30 AM12/3/16
to qubes-users
cdroms are pretty outdated now. I don't even have one on my latest box.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 3, 2016, 6:48:36 PM12/3/16
to Pawel Debski, qubes-users

Pawel Debski

Dec 31, 2016, 7:06:46 AM12/31/16
to qubes-users, pde...@econsulting.pl
How do I check whether it is really mounted in dom0?
(I think it is not, but maybe I'm doing something wrong)

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 4, 2017, 7:46:02 PM1/4/17
to qubes-users, pde...@econsulting.pl
notification bubble should pop up on the screen. I think its usually sr0 or something.

Pawel Debski

Jan 5, 2017, 5:49:35 AM1/5/17
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users

How do I check whether it is really mounted in dom0?
(I think it is not, but maybe I'm doing something wrong
notification bubble should pop up on the screen.  I think its usually sr0 or something.

What would be the right command in Konsole?

Z powazaniem / Best Regards
Mit freundlichen Gruessen / Meilleures salutations
Pawel Debski

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 5, 2017, 7:11:21 PM1/5/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

hmm fdisk? blkid?

Unman

Jan 5, 2017, 7:56:09 PM1/5/17
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Or the obvious:
mount -l
findmnt

Ángel

Jan 6, 2017, 5:05:18 AM1/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Pawel Debski wrote:

> > How do I check whether it is really mounted in dom0?
> > (I think it is not, but maybe I'm doing something wrong
> notification bubble should pop up on the screen. I think its usually sr0 or something.
>
> What would be the right command in Konsole?

Try doing:
mount | grep ^/dev/sr

but if the files are available at /run/media/pdebski/CDTITLE, it is
clearly mounted.

In order to unmount it, you can do
umount /run/media/pdebski/CDTITLE

and then proceed to attach dom:sr0 to your favourite AppVM