installing qubes

jon Will

Jun 19, 2020, 3:22:17 PM6/19/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
so I have a HP laptop. it has these specs

=CPU=

AMD Quad-core ryzen 7-3700U Processor

=GPU=

AMD Radeon RX Vega 10 Graphics

=Memory=

16GB DDR4 2666 MHz

=Hard drive=

1TB PCIe NVMe SSD

=Connectivity=

Realtech RTL8821CE 802.11b/g/n/ac and bluetooth 4.2

=Audio=

HD Adieo with stereo speekers

Now I have a iso that has qubes OS as a kernel 5.6 and that did not
work. I also have tried putting "radeon.runpm=0" in the boot line when
you press tab. Also I have put "inst.text" but when I try to create the
partition no matter what I do it says that LUKS is not going to crate
and encrypted partition (and I need that for my job). Every time I boot
up the USB, except for text install, it says "X startup failed, aborting
installation". I have tried everything I could find online and
everything above was done with both the vanilla iso and the 5.6 kernel
iso. Please tell me if you have a idea. If it can work AT ALL let me know.

jon Will

Jun 20, 2020, 7:43:11 PM6/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I now have a screenshot of the LUKS error in text mode I mentioned.  It
reads "Encryption requested for LUKS device nvme0n1p2 but no encryption
key specified for this device". Any ideas?

Jarrah

Jun 20, 2020, 8:18:32 PM6/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

> I now have a screenshot of the LUKS error in text mode I mentioned.
> It reads "Encryption requested for LUKS device nvme0n1p2 but no
> encryption key specified for this device". Any ideas?

This sounds like the disk encryption went wrong. Do you get a prompt for
your disk password on boot? It "should" default to asking on boot.

Could you provide the content of the relevant "module" line in your
`/boot/grub2/grub.cfg` if you use BIOS boot or
`/boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg` will have an equivalent line on UEFI.

jon Will

Jun 20, 2020, 8:45:23 PM6/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I apologize but you have it wrong. I want to INSTALL qubes. The above is
all I have to tell you.

Jarrah

Jun 20, 2020, 8:54:04 PM6/20/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
> I apologize but you have it wrong. I want to INSTALL qubes. The above
> is all I have to tell you.

My bad, I missed that and thought you were getting that error on boot
after install.

Could you switch to another TTY on install (ctl-alt-f2 should do it) and
provide the output of `dmesg`. That should tell us what the driver is
doing on boot.

AMD cards (as I recently found out) can be a bit finicky under Xen. Mine
no-longer works at all under qubes 4.0.3, but works fine on 4.1. That
might also be an option, though it is pre-release, so only try it if you
are willing to debug.

jon Will

Jun 20, 2020, 9:43:08 PM6/20/20
to Jarrah, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Here is what I got. Do you think I should upgrade to qubes 4.1? If so where is the ISO? How can I get it?

Jarrah

Jun 20, 2020, 10:42:02 PM6/20/20
to jon Will, qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Here is what I got. Do you think I should upgrade to qubes 4.1? If so
> where is the ISO? How can I get it?

Going to need the output as a file sorry. That's only the end of it. If
you plug another USB drive in you should be able to write the file to it
using `dmesg > /mount/point/of/usb/filename`.

At this point, we don't really have enough information to go off to
determine whether it will help at all. If you want to give it a go, the
latest unsigned iso is
https://openqa.qubes-os.org/tests/9426/asset/iso/Qubes-4.1-20200614-x86_64.iso

Jon will

Jun 21, 2020, 12:44:12 PM6/21/20
to Jarrah, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late response, It took forever for the iso to download.
IT'S WORKING! There is just one last problem. I can't get wireless
working. Any ideas?

Jarrah

Jun 22, 2020, 2:59:21 AM6/22/20
to Jon will, qubes...@googlegroups.com

> Sorry for the late response, It took forever for the iso to download.
> IT'S WORKING! There is just one last problem. I can't get wireless
> working. Any ideas?
Congratulations on getting it working. Just remember that is a
pre-release version of Qubes. It's not fully supported and may have bugs.

Looks like your card isn't well supported in Linux, but there is a DKMS
driver [0].

If you trust this and want to install it, I would recommend creating a
new template and installing the driver [2] in that template. You may
need to set sys-net and the new template to use a VM provided kernel [1]
for this to work, I haven't tried it.

[0] https://github.com/tomaspinho/rtl8821ce

[1] https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/managing-vm-kernel/ (under "Using
kernel installed in the VM")

[2]
https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/install-drivers-for-rtl8821ce-network-chipset-on-fedora-30/3672

Jon will

Jun 22, 2020, 8:44:54 PM6/22/20
to Jarrah, qubes...@googlegroups.com
GOT IT! Now the only thing I need to do is get HVMs working and I have
the OS of my dreams! Thanks!

Sven Semmler

Jun 22, 2020, 9:17:50 PM6/22/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com