Updated Debian template-Recieved "Configuring grub-pc" message??

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 11, 2018, 12:28:06 PM11/11/18
to qubes-users
I just updated my Debian template and received a "Configuring grub-pc" window in my terminal, through trial and error I discovered that I was able to select "OK", and select configurations using the curser arrows and the space bar (->, <-, etc...).

I haven't seen this on a Debian update before but I had the option to select what I think are devices for grub-install...maybe 4 choices. I used the space bar and selected all of them but then received error messages. I then selected none of the options(devices?) and the update continued. The update appeared to just continue finishing with "Press enter to shutdown...", no obvious error messages like past template updates. Everything appears to be working despite what appeared to be scary warnings in the terminal.

Restarted the computer...no issues. Sorry to not have more info I wish I had taken screen shots.

Was I supposed to select something? Any way to check? What was the window?

I am using 4.0...

Thanks again,
22rip

a...@it-minds.dk

Nov 11, 2018, 12:50:14 PM11/11/18
to qubes-users
Hello!

This is fairly common when upgrading the kernel in Debian.
In Qubes OS there are multiple mounts inside each Qube, and thus apt-get asks you where / or /boot is mounted, so that it knows where to upgrade grub.

To my understanding (without having looked into it any further), I have kept guessing that the / dir is mounted in what is called /dev/xvda inside the Qube. I generally always mark that, and then it happily continues without any angry warnings.

Would welcome any clarification too though :)

Those are my 2 cents at least!

Regards

unman

Nov 11, 2018, 7:08:08 PM11/11/18
to qubes-users
Have a look at https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template-implementation/
This explains the way in which those devices are used.

As you'll see, aaq, your understanding is quite correct.

unman

22...@tutamail.com

Nov 11, 2018, 9:10:59 PM11/11/18
to qubes-users
Thank you both for the comments...

In the message I remember a statement: "..This menu allows you to select...automatic run for, if any...running grub-install automatically is recommended". I believe it also said something to the effect: "...will use the previous selection..."

Considering I already completed the update and everything is working should I be concerned? Would anything bad already have happened? Next time I'll pick try the "/dev/xvda" file and see what happens but does it default to the same selection as prior to the upgrade when nothing is selected?

Thanks again...

a...@it-minds.dk

Nov 12, 2018, 3:40:31 AM11/12/18
to qubes-users

If your TemplateVM/AppVM/StandaloneVM is able to start up, after you have done the upgrade then I don't think you should be concerned.

Just keep in mind in the future, that you should use /dev/xvda as your device for grub :)