Proxy VM option missing upon creating a new VM !

odind...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2018, 1:11:34 PM8/25/18
to qubes-users
Hey guys ,

I am using version R 4.O and recently decided to set up a new Vpn connection .
But when I try to select the type is only giving me AppVM and Standalone option so obviously I can't move forward . I am attaching picture of it so you can see it youself : https://imgur.com/a/xTmpUDX .
If annyone can point me to what's wrong will be great.

Much appreciated

Rusty Bird

Aug 25, 2018, 2:36:19 PM8/25/18
to odind...@gmail.com, qubes-users

odind...@gmail.com

Aug 25, 2018, 2:38:23 PM8/25/18
to qubes-users

Many thanks )

Chris Laprise

Aug 25, 2018, 3:05:08 PM8/25/18
to odind...@gmail.com, qubes-users, rust...@net-c.com
On 08/25/2018 02:25 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:

> odind...@gmail.com:
>> I am using version R 4.O and recently decided to set up a new Vpn connection .
>> But when I try to select the type is only giving me AppVM and
>> Standalone option so obviously I can't move forward . I am attaching
>> picture of it so you can see it youself :
>> https://imgur.com/a/xTmpUDX .
>
> Tick the "provides network" box, that's the R4.0 equivalent to ProxyVM
> in older Qubes versions.
>
> Rusty

I've come to the conclusion that attempting to change the terminology
for VM types was a mistake. People are getting confused and referring to
"network-providing appVM" in the generic is awkward at best --
especially if you are merely describing or referring to VMs instead of
giving instructions on creating them.

--

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket

awokd

Aug 25, 2018, 3:24:36 PM8/25/18
to Chris Laprise, odind...@gmail.com, qubes-users, rust...@net-c.com
On Sat, August 25, 2018 7:01 pm, Chris Laprise wrote:
> On 08/25/2018 02:25 PM, Rusty Bird wrote:

>> odind...@gmail.com:
>>
>>> I am using version R 4.O and recently decided to set up a new Vpn
>>> connection . But when I try to select the type is only giving me AppVM
>>> and Standalone option so obviously I can't move forward . I am
>>> attaching picture of it so you can see it youself :
>>> https://imgur.com/a/xTmpUDX .
>>>

>> Tick the "provides network" box, that's the R4.0 equivalent to ProxyVM
>> in older Qubes versions.
>>
>> Rusty
>>

> I've come to the conclusion that attempting to change the terminology
> for VM types was a mistake. People are getting confused and referring to
> "network-providing appVM" in the generic is awkward at best --
> especially if you are merely describing or referring to VMs instead of
> giving instructions on creating them.

Think some additional text in the dialog box like "provides network
('ProxyVM')" would do it? Agree that "network-providing appVM" is a bit of
a mouthful.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 25, 2018, 3:59:32 PM8/25/18
to aw...@danwin1210.me, Chris Laprise, qubes-users, rust...@net-c.com

Chris Laprise

Aug 25, 2018, 4:36:55 PM8/25/18
to Andrew David Wong, aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes-users, rust...@net-c.com
Except VMs internally still use the proxyVM term in /var/run/qubes for
example. Its how my VPN code makes decisions about where+what to run.

I'd vote for adding (ProxyVM) in parentheses to the "provides network"
label (not tooltip) in the create dialog.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 26, 2018, 3:48:38 AM8/26/18
to Chris Laprise, aw...@danwin1210.me, qubes-users, rust...@net-c.com