Crashplan?

Niels Kobschaetzki

Jun 26, 2016, 7:28:08 AM6/26/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

does anyone have experiences with running Crashplan in Qubes? If yes,
how did you install it?

Niels

Andrew David Wong

Jun 26, 2016, 11:40:07 AM6/26/16
to Niels Kobschaetzki, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Niels Kobschaetzki

Jun 26, 2016, 3:07:13 PM6/26/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Max

Oct 21, 2016, 2:08:01 PM10/21/16
to qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net

Hi Andrew, just to confirm my understanding...

You put your Qubes backups on a standalone VM which has Crashplan installed so these backups can be selected as files and stored offsite on another machine?

Andrew David Wong

Oct 21, 2016, 11:54:53 PM10/21/16
to Max, qubes-users, ni...@kobschaetzki.net

On 2016-10-21 11:08, Max wrote:
> [...]

Vincent Elliott

Oct 27, 2016, 4:38:45 PM10/27/16
to qubes-users, maxtan...@gmail.com, ni...@kobschaetzki.net

I installed it twice, once on the template so the service would start and run, and also on the VM so that the client side would be persistent. Used the default options both times. It works.

Vincent

Andrew David Wong

Oct 27, 2016, 6:34:16 PM10/27/16
to Vincent Elliott, qubes-users, maxtan...@gmail.com, ni...@kobschaetzki.net

Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)

Oct 28, 2016, 7:07:18 AM10/28/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 06/26/2016 03:40 PM, Andrew David Wong wrote:
> On 2016-06-26 04:27, Niels Kobschaetzki wrote:
> > Hi,
>
> > does anyone have experiences with running Crashplan in Qubes? If
> > yes, how did you install it?
>
> > Niels
>

> I installed it in a StandaloneVM with the installer's default options.
>
> (As I'm guessing you've discovered, attempting to install it in an
> AppVM with the default options doesn't allow it to persist across
> reboots since it tries to install parts of itself to the read-only
> root filesystem.)

There is a persist dirs option. Look for bind-dirs.sh in the
qubes-core-agent-linux package. This should let certain directories
persist for good in any AppVM (but, of course you don't want to do that
for system dirs like /usr/bin and such).

--
Rudd-O
http://rudd-o.com/

Vincent Elliott

Oct 28, 2016, 8:59:30 AM10/28/16
to Andrew David Wong, ni...@kobschaetzki.net, maxtan...@gmail.com, qubes-users

I think your approach is actually better though.

Vincent

Andrew David Wong

Oct 28, 2016, 11:39:58 PM10/28/16
to Manuel Amador (Rudd-O), qubes...@googlegroups.com