Prob installing VLC in Fedora24 Template

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 12, 2017, 1:11:02 PM1/12/17
to qubes-users
When I try to install vlc als described in the faq and elsewhere I get this error:

Downloading Packages:
(1/60): aalib-libs-1.4.0-0.29.rc5.fc24.x86_64.r 126 kB/s | 70 kB 00:00
[MIRROR] vlc-3.0.0-19.20170104gitf8f5395.fc24.x86_64.rpm: Interrupted by header callback: Server reports Content-Length: 15400 but expected size is: 1605926
[FAILED] vlc-3.0.0-19.20170104gitf8f5395.fc24.x86_64.rpm: No more mirrors to try - All mirrors were already tried without success
(3-4/60): libcaca-0. 5% [= ] 708 kB/s | 1.6 MB 00:37 ETA
The downloaded packages were saved in cache until the next successful transaction.
You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'.
Error: Error downloading packages:
Cannot download vlc-3.0.0-19.20170104gitf8f5395.fc24.x86_64.rpm: All mirrors were tried

I tried it several times and got always the same error.

Procedure:
sudo dnf upgrade --refresh
sudo dnf install vlc

Any advice?

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:35:13 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users

did you try this? You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:36:03 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

try in an appvm and see if anything different happens.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:36:26 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

maybe also if you have one based on a diff fedora template.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2017, 4:40:51 PM1/13/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com
sorry, you could also always just use a debian template instead. if not, check the netvm or firewall.

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 14, 2017, 12:01:55 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

Yes I tried it several times with the same result

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 14, 2017, 12:02:54 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

In a appvm it works flawlessly.
In the template vm it doesn't.

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 14, 2017, 12:04:25 PM1/14/17
Am Freitag, 13. Januar 2017 22:40:51 UTC+1 schrieb raah...@gmail.com:
> sorry, you could also always just use a debian template instead. if not, check the netvm or firewall.

with debian it works but I want to have a fedora-24-appvm if possible...
by the way it works wether in a fedora-23 nor in a fedora-24 template vm.

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 14, 2017, 12:15:17 PM1/14/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

> > did you try this? You can remove cached packages by executing 'dnf clean packages'
>
> Yes I tried it several times with the same result

I solved my problem by downloading the rpm in a appvm and then copying it to the template vm. But it should work in the template vm without work around. Or?

qmast...@gmail.com

Jan 15, 2017, 12:02:37 PM1/15/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com
You could have tried cloning a vlc git repository and compiling it from source https://wiki.videolan.org/UnixCompile/ This way you would have had a more recent vlc 3.0 (rpm which you have installed is from older git revision) BTW there is no stable vlc 3.0 yet, only development versions

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 11:26:27 PM1/17/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

ya weird. not sure why, did you make any changes to the template?

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 17, 2017, 11:27:24 PM1/17/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com
> ya weird. not sure why, did you make any changes to the templates

is there a clean all command maybe u can try.

Arnulf Maria Bultmann

Jan 18, 2017, 5:01:54 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

> > ya weird. not sure why, did you make any changes to the templates
>
> is there a clean all command maybe u can try.

sorry I don't understand what you mean writing "is there a clean all command ...".
The template itself is unchanged.

raah...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2017, 11:08:03 AM1/18/17
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

I mean try sudo dnf clean all.

Not sure why it works when installed in the appvm but not the template. Maybe try removing the rpmfusion repos. then dnf update. then add them again? Maybe someone else can chime in.

Andrew David Wong

Jan 18, 2017, 9:44:33 PM1/18/17
to raah...@gmail.com, qubes-users