Windows on R4 (rc4) - DVD or iso not detected

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 3:25:52 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

I am trying to get Windows installed on R4.

qvm-create win7 --class StandaloneVM --label blue
qvm-prefs win7 | grep virt
it is pvh
qvm-prefs win7 virt_mode hvm (I suspect doc needs to be updated here)
qvm-start win7 --cdrom=sys-usb:sr0
I get 4 lines SeaBios, last one being "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable!... ok" - Screenshot attached.
qvm-ls
win7 is halted

I saw ticket https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3055 providing the --cdrom option.

Am I missing something?

Screenshot_2018-02-09_08-18-29.png

awokd

Feb 9, 2018, 3:35:17 AM2/9/18
to Alex Dubois, qubes-users
On Fri, February 9, 2018 8:25 am, Alex Dubois wrote:
Try
qvm-prefs win7 kernel ""

Yuraeitha

Feb 9, 2018, 4:04:25 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Right now "most" things work in Qubes 4, but many of them have one of the multiple of approaches to do the same thing, where some of these multiple approaches are not working. Extra approaches to do the same thing, may have lower priority if it works if done in a different way. These issues will eventually get fixed, it's just a matter for the developers to advance down the list of priorities of fixes.

For example, sometimes using the terminal is better, while other times the GUI works better. Mostly the terminal works better, but there are cases where the GUI works better than the terminal commands.

Your issue might be one of those case, "Especially!" considering the GUI to boot from a CDROM/DVD has been re-made, and the whole admin panel/python code beneath it. So chances are that the GUI works better, since they put focused effort into this GUI tool, and "may" have postponed terminal fixes for later lower priorities.

What I recommend is that you shutdown your Win7 VM --> go to the VM's graphical settings --> Advanced tab --> pick the "Boot qube from CDROM" button.

Try give it a try, see if it works or not.

If it doesn't work: Then it might be because this feature has an overall lower priority to get fixed compared to other things in Qubes 4 atm. Perhaps other suggestions can find a way to bypass this issue, keep checking this thread over the coming days for anyone posting.

Also Qubes 4 will probably not be final release stage before both GUI and terminal works for the most important features. Until then, you have to find work-arounds for things like these.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 4:57:19 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Great, it fixed it.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 5:02:21 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users
On Friday, 9 February 2018 09:04:25 UTC, Yuraeitha wrote:
> On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 9:25:52 AM UTC+1, Alex Dubois wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to get Windows installed on R4.
> >
> > qvm-create win7 --class StandaloneVM --label blue
> > qvm-prefs win7 | grep virt
> > it is pvh
> > qvm-prefs win7 virt_mode hvm (I suspect doc needs to be updated here)
> > qvm-start win7 --cdrom=sys-usb:sr0
> > I get 4 lines SeaBios, last one being "Probing EDD (edd=off to disable!... ok" - Screenshot attached.
> > qvm-ls
> > win7 is halted
> >
> > I saw ticket https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3055 providing the --cdrom option.
> >
> > Am I missing something?
>
> Right now "most" things work in Qubes 4, but many of them have one of the multiple of approaches to do the same thing, where some of these multiple approaches are not working. Extra approaches to do the same thing, may have lower priority if it works if done in a different way. These issues will eventually get fixed, it's just a matter for the developers to advance down the list of priorities of fixes.

Yes I know, I'm planning on helping... on a Windows 10 QWT workaround that is secure and follow Qubes OS philosophy.

> For example, sometimes using the terminal is better, while other times the GUI works better. Mostly the terminal works better, but there are cases where the GUI works better than the terminal commands.
>
> Your issue might be one of those case, "Especially!" considering the GUI to boot from a CDROM/DVD has been re-made, and the whole admin panel/python code beneath it. So chances are that the GUI works better, since they put focused effort into this GUI tool, and "may" have postponed terminal fixes for later lower priorities.
>
> What I recommend is that you shutdown your Win7 VM --> go to the VM's graphical settings --> Advanced tab --> pick the "Boot qube from CDROM" button.
>
> Try give it a try, see if it works or not.

I had tried and it was not working, but thanks for the suggestion.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 5:25:59 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users
On Friday, 9 February 2018 08:35:17 UTC, awokd wrote:

@awokd, I've created a pull request to update the doc https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3055

awokd

Feb 9, 2018, 5:42:51 AM2/9/18
to Alex Dubois, qubes-users
Thank you! Found it under https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/576.
I'm planning on leaving the Win7 on R4.0 documentation to the future
maintainer of QWT 4.0 right now, but that question comes up a lot. It
applies to other OSes in an HVM too, maybe it should also be a FAQ?

Yuraeitha

Feb 9, 2018, 5:50:03 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

ah my bad, I did not know that. I tend to just go full speed ahead with the size of my context in my suggestions if I don't know anything about a persons existing knowledge. It does from time to time cause big problems if I assumed wrong, I really need to stop doing that habit ^^;

btw in case you haven't seen it, we currently having a discussion about Win7 in Qubes-devel https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/tBqwJmOAJ94
In case some of the work-around fixes and issue discussions may have some useful inputs for the work on Win10 (for example Marek's post is very insightful), and also the wiki that Ivan made is being used to keep every confirmed known issues in a single place.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 6:19:52 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Oh sorry put the wrong link....

Yes, I'll try to help you clean up once I get a better grasp on Win7 and Win10 on R4 (with the RDPClient+Samba HackWinVM to get QWT functionality until it is there).

I have another problem now. I'll create a new thread.

awokd

Feb 9, 2018, 7:42:33 AM2/9/18
to Alex Dubois, qubes-users
On Fri, February 9, 2018 11:19 am, Alex Dubois wrote:

Submitted https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/577 for adding it to
the FAQ.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 8:19:14 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

No problem.

Ah thanks for the pointer. I'll check. (I wish I could PM). Assume I do thank you in the future when I do not reply ;)

Yuraeitha

Feb 9, 2018, 10:52:12 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

I just noticed, but also doesn't seem to be a seamless mode setting neither in qvm-prefs or GUI VM-Settings, nor do they appear on HVM mode in case that would be a new thing or not.

Could it be possible that it's related to the missing adjustments to allow booting from CD/DVD's?

I mean, it does kind of look like no work has been done yet on pretty much everything related to 3rd party virtualization's.

That's not a criticism though, it's more an interesting thing to observe. I wonder when it's planned to get all these various 3rd party tools back in Qubes. I know QWT is on hold for now until a developer is found, but what about all the rest Qubes features for 3rd party VM installations which lies more directly in the Qubes core dom0 code itself?