Windows on R4 (rc4) - Install crash on splash screen: Starting Windows

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 7:31:10 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

After booting the win7 VM, the DVD get recognized.
Windows is loading file progress bar is going smoothly
But the win7 VM goes into halted or transient state just after displaying the graphical splash screen Starting Windows

At the moment I am exploring how to resolve this issue in R4 https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2488

I've tried
qvm-features win7 video-model cirrus
but same problem

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 8:07:27 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Fixed.
The minimum specs from Microsoft for Windows 7 64bits is 2GB of RAM.
qvm-prefs win7 memory 2048

I'll update the doc.

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 8:17:19 AM2/9/18
to qubes-users

I have also tested that
qvm-features win7 video-model cirrus
is NOT required (in my case).

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 12:37:49 PM2/9/18
to qubes-users

I should test fully before saying things. It was required after the first reboot.

This thread provide a comprehensive view https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-devel/tBqwJmOAJ94

Ivan Mitev

Feb 9, 2018, 1:01:08 PM2/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
FYI once the second part of the installation is complete and you have a
working windows VM, you can revert the display adapter to standard vga
(qvm-features --unset win7 video-model).

Happy that the qubes-devel thread was useful :)

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 1:23:26 PM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Yes thanks a lot. I have now a working win7. Starting Windows-Tools install.

Ivan Mitev

Feb 9, 2018, 1:43:06 PM2/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I just did that :) - it works well... (but don't try to install the pv
storage driver otherwise you'll get a BSOD).

Alex Dubois

Feb 9, 2018, 1:56:13 PM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Thanks for the warning ;-)

I can't find qubes-windows-tools
is it in testing branch?

Ivan Mitev

Feb 9, 2018, 2:02:13 PM2/9/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Yes (in R3.2):

https://yum.qubes-os.org/r3.2/current-testing/dom0/fc23/rpm/qubes-windows-tools-3.2.2-3.x86_64.rpm

Extract with:

rpm2cpio qubes-windows-tools-3.2.2-3.x86_64.rpm | cpio -idmv

And start the VM (assuming the iso is in the 'untrusted' VM):

qvm-start --cdrom=untrusted:/home/user/qubes-windows-tools.iso win7

Yuraeitha

Feb 9, 2018, 11:39:14 PM2/9/18
to qubes-users

Nice one Ivan, this really pushes forward the ability to re-install Win7 without having to use Qubes 3.2. for it.

@Alex
Do you feel the system is as stable as it was on Qubes 3.2. with this fresh re-install on Qubes 4? Of course with the included Qubes 4 required adjustments like network, page-file, and so on.

Alex Dubois

Feb 24, 2018, 8:50:16 AM2/24/18
to qubes-users

I am not using Windows day to day. It is more to help the project that I spend time on it. I had tried a number of things with previous version of Qubes. Trying to get all things to work on R4.
I Have not yet done the QWT.

I think there is still some wokr for non tech users to feel as comfortable. It is stable but there are a number of small usability bugs. nothing you can't solve if you are happy to close qubes-manager and re-open or launch a dom0 command or two.

Alex Dubois

Feb 27, 2018, 5:58:14 PM2/27/18
to qubes-users

Would you know have to validate the rpm signature by any chance?

[799]

Feb 27, 2018, 7:55:05 PM2/27/18
to bow...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

-------- Original-Nachricht --------

An 27. Feb. 2018, 23:58, Alex Dubois schrieb:

> Would you know have to validate the rpm
> signature by any chance?

Haven't tried it out, but you're asking to verify the rpm package prior to installing it?

Something like this?
Verifying the signatures of packages
https://www.centos.org/docs/5/html/Deployment_Guide-en-US/s1-check-rpm-sig.html

[799]