Qubes 4.0-rc2 :: VMs fail to start

[799]

Oct 25, 2017, 1:26:51 PM10/25/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

As at least one other Qubes user has the same problem, that VMs won't start, I'll add this as special topic.

I've made a clean install of Qubes 4-rc2 but ~70% of the time I can't boot the VMs.
This includes sys-net, sys-firewall, but also others.

I tried to check the logs but I don't get any valuable information.
See screenshot.

I started the following command in dom0:

watch -n 1 xl list

When I try to launch a VM I can see that the VMs appears in the xl list output, but the State is ------ and the Time(s) is 0.0.
After ~30sec the start is aborted with error message: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon.

Questions:
1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230?
2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot?
3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line

[799]

Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

20171025191922699506992.jpg

Yethal

Oct 25, 2017, 1:48:38 PM10/25/17
to qubes-users
Set pci strict reset on sys-net and sys-usb to false and try again. If that doesn't help set virt_mode to pv. If that helps it means your laptop does not meet minimum system requirements

[799]

Oct 25, 2017, 1:57:33 PM10/25/17
to grzegorz....@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

>> Set pci strict reset on sys-net and sys-usb to
>> false and try again. If that doesn't help set
>> virt_mode to pv

qvm-prefs -s sys-usb pci_strictreset false

Results in:

qvm-prefs: error: no such property: 'pci_strictreset'

Has the setting be changed in Qubes 4? Same question has been asked by me for the internal setting, which hides VM from the menu.

[799]

mikih...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2017, 2:03:22 PM10/25/17
to qubes-users
Same for me. It worked after a lot of restarting and changing settings.
Sys-firewall started after I set initial ram higher. The others on debug mode with no network-vm set in settings. Not immediately though, try it, even change templates, and restart the templates a few times.
I didn't get the qrexec logs from the qubes-applet and didn't bother to check further since it worked after several retries.

[799]

Oct 25, 2017, 5:20:42 PM10/25/17
to mikih...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> I've made a clean install of Qubes 4-rc2
>> but ~70% of the time I can't boot the VMs

After 2h troubleshooting I deleted my whole setup and reinstalled, again running into problems when trying to create new VMs.
... Ahrk. I. Hate. Linux. (From time to time).

Seriously, I burned now ~2h trying to get Qubes 4 running. Can't be that hard for a user who is running Qubes for ~2y.

Question:
Can we get an information on which laptops/Modells Qubes 4-rc2 has been tested?
Currently I don't know if I just to dumb to get things up and running or if my hardware has a problem.
As I have already invested lots of time in Qubes 4 rc1 before abandoning it and go back to 3.2, I just don't want to burn any time in case that my hardware is a dead horse.

Having the information on which laptops Qubes 4 "should" run or even more where it is running (Dev Users?) would help.
The HCL https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/ does not help me, as it has no information if 4.x is ok for the X230.

As mentioned before I am running Coreboot, should I go back to stock ROM?

[799]
I need to

. > > This includes sys-net, sys-firewall, but also . > > > > I tried to check the logs but I don't get any valuable information. > > See screenshot. > > > > I started the following command in dom0: > > > > watch -n 1 xl list > > > > When I try to launch a VM I can see that the VMs appears in the xl list output, but the State is ------ and the Time(s) is 0.0. > > After ~30sec the start is aborted with error message: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon. > > > > Questions: > > 1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230? > > 2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot? > > 3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line > > > > [799] > > > > > > > > > > > > Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile > Set pci strict reset on sys-net and sys-usb to false and try again. If that doesn't help set virt_mode to pv. If that helps it means your laptop does not meet minimum system requirements Same for me. It worked after a lot of restarting and changing settings. Sys-firewall started after I set initial ram higher. The others on debug mode with no network-vm set in settings. Not immediately though, try it, even change templates, and restart the templates a few times. I didn't get the qrexec logs from the qubes-applet and didn't bother to check further since it worked after several retries. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "qubes-users" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to qubes-users...@googlegroups.com. To post to this group, send email to qubes...@googlegroups.com. To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/0326dd36-a12e-45f3-ad4e-ce89ad688772%40googlegroups.com. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

mouerta

Oct 25, 2017, 5:39:20 PM10/25/17
to qubes-users

derp...@gmail.com

Oct 25, 2017, 11:12:58 PM10/25/17
to qubes-users

I just tried extending the qrexec-daemon timeout by another 60 seconds and that worked for me.

For me, it was my vault that refused to run.

qvm-prefs -s vault qrexec_timeout 120

and that worked.

Sean Hunter

Oct 26, 2017, 2:12:15 AM10/26/17
to derp...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On 26 Oct 2017, at 04:12, derp...@gmail.com wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 1:26:51 PM UTC-4, [799] wrote:
>>
>> Questions:
>> 1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230?
>> 2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot?
>> 3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line

For me (librem 15v3 with coreboot) no VM will start on 4.0-rc2 if it has any devices enabled. The error on startup is

Start failed: internal error: libxenlight failed to create new domain ‘sys-net’

(Sorry if iOS autocorrect mangles the above. I’ve tried to reproduce faithfully)

I have tried setting no-strict-reset=True and this doesn’t (yet) help.
What I tried:
1. In a dom0 terminal, do ‘qvm-pci’ to get a list of devices
2. Do something like ‘qvm-pci a sys-net -o no-strict-reset=True —persistent dom0:00.01_14” (sub in the right Vm the right target ID for your device).

Removing all devices makes a VM start (but obviously that means I can’t access the network right now so the machine is kind of bricked).

If I try to attach the device when the VM is running the bottom of the log is ‘libxenlight failed to attach pci device’

One thing is that during the install it gave the attached message about ioMMU so perhaps something related to that has changed? I’m going to look at that next.

It all worked on 4.0 rc 1 for whatever that’s worth.

Sean

On the move. Sorry if I'm terse.
image1.jpeg

Sean Hunter

Oct 26, 2017, 2:18:18 AM10/26/17
to derp...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On the move.  Sorry if I'm terse.

On 26 Oct 2017, at 07:11, Sean Hunter <se...@uncarved.com> wrote:

One thing is that during the install it gave the attached message about ioMMU so perhaps something related to that has changed?  I’m going to look at that next.

It all worked on 4.0 rc 1 for whatever that’s worth.

It does indeed seem like the version of coreboot I’m running doesn’t support VT-d so isn’t compatible with 4.0 rc 2.  This is annoying as qubes 3.2 also doesn’t work (won’t install) so I think I’m stuck with downgrading to 4.0 rc 1 (which worked fine) :(

Sean

[799]

Oct 26, 2017, 4:41:27 PM10/26/17
to derp...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I invested two more hours trying to setup Qubes 4.0-rc2 on my X230, reinstalled twice from scratch, tried another USB-Stick for the installation process, always running into problems as soon as I try to start new VMs.
I've also tried to extend qrexec to 120sec.
VMs won't start, booting up Qubes is also much slower than with 3.2

Error message when starting VMs:
"cannot execute qrexec-daemon"

Someone suggested to install updates but as my sys-net is not launching I feel "Qube'd" -> can't get anywhere from there.

I think I'll stay with my Qubes 3.2 which seems to work more reliable (at least on my X230).
The only question is, when Qubes 3.2 will be EOL.

As the Lenovo X230 seems to be one of the models which can run Coreboot, I really hope that Qubes 4 will work on this Laptop when Qubes 4 is ready for production use.

In case the X230 should be able to run Qubes 4 and there is just something wrong with this Release Candidate, what can I do to resolve these issues.

[799]

mouerto

Oct 26, 2017, 4:53:12 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
i think you are not alone having this problem why not post the problem here https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen%20no%3Amilestone%20

Yethal

Oct 26, 2017, 5:06:48 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
set virt_mode to pv on all VMs that have PCi devices attached to remedy the issue

Chris Laprise

Oct 27, 2017, 12:23:23 PM10/27/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I created an issue for my VM start problems:

There is no libxenlight error, and I think the problem may be related to
the initial run of sys-net. Shutting down sys-net (and all VMs) and
starting it again seems to make a difference. Also, there is a RAM
allocation problem that (so far) hasn't shown up after I re-start sys-net.

Chris Laprise, tas...@posteo.net
https://github.com/tasket
https://twitter.com/ttaskett
PGP: BEE2 20C5 356E 764A 73EB 4AB3 1DC4 D106 F07F 1886

aphid...@gmail.com

Oct 28, 2017, 5:49:53 PM10/28/17
to qubes-users

I'm testing Qubes 4.0rc2 on an X230 with SeaBIOS+Coreboot.

I can start sys-net always but cannot start sys-firewall and other VMs consistently ("Cannot execute qrexec-daemon").

One difference between our setups may be, I am not using the stock Intel wifi card but an Atheros one instead.

Roy Bernat

Oct 30, 2017, 12:56:22 PM10/30/17
to qubes-users
So what is the solution ? Every reboot I am struggle to
Start the vm’s

Roy Bernat

Oct 30, 2017, 2:09:28 PM10/30/17
to qubes-users
And now the sys firewall don’t start anymore . Someone

Helpppppppp

[799]

Oct 30, 2017, 2:47:12 PM10/30/17
to royb...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello Rob,

>> So what is the solution ? Every reboot I am
>> struggle to Start the vm’s

As I haven't seen any good solution for this yet, I recommend going back to Qubes 3.2 until 4.0 has been updated to fix this or until we know what is causing the problems (hardware?).

[799]

Roy Bernat

Oct 30, 2017, 4:29:32 PM10/30/17
to qubes-users

no one has any idea ? i tried to look for some logs with no solution .

what i have found that it happen mpre if i update the dom0 before i am updating the templates .

maybe ....

Roy

Chris Laprise

Oct 30, 2017, 7:39:56 PM10/30/17
to Roy Bernat, qubes-users
Over the past couple days, this has usually worked:

1. Close any appVMs that appear to be using lots of RAM and are not
giving it back.

2. Start an isolated (network setting is "none") appVM... it should
start up. Leave it running...

3. Start the VMs you intend to use; they should also start now.

RSS

Oct 31, 2017, 5:21:12 AM10/31/17
to '[799]' via qubes-users
I see I am not alone here.

> Having the information on which laptops Qubes 4 "should" run or even
> more where it is running (Dev Users?) would help. The HCL
> https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/ does not help me, as it has no
> information if 4.x is ok for the X230.

It looks to me like a bigger problem, not necessarily device specific:

Remember this is not a public release, this is RC2. Release CANDIDATE 2.
That means it is a version meant for TESTING, not necessarily ready for
anything more.

TEST_FAILED

> As mentioned before I am running Coreboot, should I go back to stock
> ROM?

In fact I have an x230 without Coreboot, and I too cannot reliably even
get sys-net to run, let alone sys-firewall, which I do not think I have
seen running once.

Personally I am going to close the lid and wait for the next release.
(Unless anyone would like to collect some debug information from me.)

Chris Laprise

Oct 31, 2017, 6:39:33 AM10/31/17
to RSS, '[799]' via qubes-users
On 10/31/17 05:21, RSS wrote:
> I see I am not alone here.
>
>> Having the information on which laptops Qubes 4 "should" run or even
>> more where it is running (Dev Users?) would help. The HCL
>> https://www.qubes-os.org/hcl/ does not help me, as it has no
>> information if 4.x is ok for the X230.
> It looks to me like a bigger problem, not necessarily device specific:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3221
>
> Remember this is not a public release, this is RC2. Release CANDIDATE 2.
> That means it is a version meant for TESTING, not necessarily ready for
> anything more.
>
> TEST_FAILED
>
>> As mentioned before I am running Coreboot, should I go back to stock
>> ROM?
> In fact I have an x230 without Coreboot, and I too cannot reliably even
> get sys-net to run, let alone sys-firewall, which I do not think I have
> seen running once.

FYI the internal ethernet controller seems to give RC2 sys-net big
problems. I had to remove it from my sys-net Devices list, so there is
only wifi. So my sys-net will usually start, but not the other VMs
following it.

> Personally I am going to close the lid and wait for the next release.
> (Unless anyone would like to collect some debug information from me.)

Roy Bernat

Oct 31, 2017, 8:52:10 AM10/31/17
to qubes-users

not worked for me .

until now i dont know what cause this issue ?

this is a huge bug the cause us not to work . for me 3.2 dont work so i have only one option . By the way rc01 worked ok ....

Roy Bernat

Oct 31, 2017, 8:56:46 AM10/31/17
to qubes-users

It seems that asomething with the sys-net causing the sys-firewall not working ....

Roy Bernat

Oct 31, 2017, 9:10:22 AM10/31/17
to qubes-users

Someone of the developer know this issue ? and maybe he will have a workaround until fix .

Foppe de Haan

Oct 31, 2017, 1:18:32 PM10/31/17
to qubes-users

try changing the sys-net template to debian?

Roy Bernat

Oct 31, 2017, 3:27:53 PM10/31/17
to qubes-users
Not working

Found that with debug it’s starting but then the appvm not.......

bela...@gmail.com

Oct 31, 2017, 4:12:44 PM10/31/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, October 25, 2017 at 11:26:51 AM UTC-6, [799] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As at least one other Qubes user has the same problem, that VMs won't start, I'll add this as special topic.
>
> I've made a clean install of Qubes 4-rc2 but ~70% of the time I can't boot the VMs.
> This includes sys-net, sys-firewall, but also others.
>
> I tried to check the logs but I don't get any valuable information.
> See screenshot.
>
> I started the following command in dom0:
>
> watch -n 1 xl list
>
> When I try to launch a VM I can see that the VMs appears in the xl list output, but the State is ------ and the Time(s) is 0.0.
> After ~30sec the start is aborted with error message: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon.
>
> Questions:
> 1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230?
> 2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot?
> 3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line
>
> [799]

For what it's worth, I'm having the same issues on a stock-BIOS X220. Sometimes a random reboot will give me both sys-net and sys-firewall, but the other two never come up, it's very problematic and very finnicky. If you do find a solution/workaround, please let me know.

William Bormann

Oct 31, 2017, 4:49:51 PM10/31/17
to qubes-users
I had this problem as well. However, the problem vanished when I adjusted the qrexec_timeout setting to 120 via qvm-prefs for the desired VMs.

This kind of makes sense, since I'm doing my RC2 testing from a usb stick (color me cautious).

Sergio Matta

Oct 31, 2017, 8:11:16 PM10/31/17
to qubes-users
I am not a developer. Sorry if I get wrong you problem. Are you sure it is not a iommu problem? Did you tested (qubes-hcl-report on dom0 terminal)? Mine has no iommu and is working with PV until next oct-10, when arrives my 990fx chipset motherboard to my old AM3 cpu. See https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/qubes-users/iommu/qubes-users/QZIWyQVFYp4/vfeC58rhAgAJ

[799]

Oct 31, 2017, 8:25:58 PM10/31/17
to ser...@da.matta.nom.br, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Honestly what is bothering me a bit, is that there seem to be lots of problems with Qubes 4-rc2, which is ok, as it is a testing release - bit I'd like to see more feedback from the Qubes Dev's, so that we can find out what is the Root cause.

Isn't this how a test release should work? We (normal) users are testing, so that developers can get a qualified feedback what needs to be fixed.

Or am I missing something and there is some action on the developer mailing list?

[799]

awokd

Nov 1, 2017, 11:19:18 AM11/1/17
to [799], ser...@da.matta.nom.br, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, November 1, 2017 00:25, '[799]' via qubes-users wrote:

> Or am I missing something and there is some action on the developer
> mailing list?

I was looking forward to trying out 4.0rc2 as well. Was a bit disappointed
to hit a roadblock, but I understand not all issues are going to be
smoothed out at this early stage. One idea I saw in here that might help
some test is to install 4.0rc2 directly to another USB stick and boot from
there for testing, but it could be slow.

I suspect the developers are probably spending most of their time working
on items in here! https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues .

Caleb Smith

Nov 1, 2017, 11:27:08 AM11/1/17
to awokd, [799], ser...@da.matta.nom.br, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hey y'all, I have found some workarounds for getting VMs to boot. If you change the virt_mode to pv instead of hvm, usually sys-usb and sys-firewall will begin to boot regularly. I also increased the qrexec-timeout to 120 per someone's recommendation here, and that seemed to help sys-whonix boot better. Also running VMs in "debug mode" in the VM Settings UI seems to help a little bit.

Hope this helps!

- Caleb Smith

Roy Bernat

Nov 1, 2017, 3:54:42 PM11/1/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 13:26:51 UTC-4, [799] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As at least one other Qubes user has the same problem, that VMs won't start, I'll add this as special topic.
>
> I've made a clean install of Qubes 4-rc2 but ~70% of the time I can't boot the VMs.
> This includes sys-net, sys-firewall, but also others.
>
> I tried to check the logs but I don't get any valuable information.
> See screenshot.
>
> I started the following command in dom0:
>
> watch -n 1 xl list
>
> When I try to launch a VM I can see that the VMs appears in the xl list output, but the State is ------ and the Time(s) is 0.0.
> After ~30sec the start is aborted with error message: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon.
>
> Questions:
> 1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230?
> 2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot?
> 3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line
>
> [799]
>

> Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

Hi all

sergio matta mention to remove the iommu=no-igfx.

this solve the problem and i think it will solve 90% of you the issue .

so the credit is for you sergio .

Thanks .

[799]

Nov 1, 2017, 7:38:08 PM11/1/17
to royb...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

>> Hi all sergio matta mention to remove the
>> iommu=no-igfx. this solve the problem and i
>> think it will solve 90% of you the issue . so
>> the credit is for you sergio . Thanks . R

I've reinstalled Qubes 4rc2 and removed the line "iommu=no-igfx" upon first restart (after installing Qubes).

I found a small bug/typo in Grub, where it says that I should press Enter to boot, while the correct command is Ctrl+X.

Currently the installer is installing the default AppVMs. I'll keep you updated.
So far it looks good.

[799]

[799]

Nov 2, 2017, 3:12:51 AM11/2/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I tried the suggestion to remove the iommu line from Grub and did so on the first reboot after the installation.

Strangely this seems to work for sys-net and sys-firewall which boot up fine.
I also once been able to launch a disposable VM.
sys-usb and also other VMs which I've created using the same template like sys-net sys-firewall.
While sys-usb creates an error message. The other VMs don't give any error message, I can see the VMs shortly when I enter "watch -n 1 xl list" in the terminal, but that's it.
After a few seconds they fade away.

I have also been unable to start a new disposable on the next reboot.

As I can't give any qualified details why Qubes 4 behaves like this, I'll wait for Qubes 4-rc3.

What I would like to see is a information on which Hardware Qubes 4 has been successfully installed and launched at least once, including the start of the sys-vms and at least one AppVM.
If this basic functionality is given, I am happy to test - currently 4.0-rc2 doesn't feel like it is ready to be a release candidate yet.

[799]

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
An 1. Nov. 2017, 01:41, Sergio da Matta schrieb:

Dear Sir,

I think all the people needs feedback, but I know they are just a few people.
And even that, Qubes are each time better ...
Let's wait. Good luck.

"7126 52E0 5754 8FEA BA46  9318 A3E7 BA7C 6D76 B8D7
gmail/hangouts/skype/instagram/twitter/sip.justvoip.com : sergiomatta
 whatsapp 031998050020, 06140639186" <Ser...@daMatta.com.br>

Roy Bernat

Nov 2, 2017, 4:13:51 AM11/2/17
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, 25 October 2017 13:26:51 UTC-4, [799] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> As at least one other Qubes user has the same problem, that VMs won't start, I'll add this as special topic.
>
> I've made a clean install of Qubes 4-rc2 but ~70% of the time I can't boot the VMs.
> This includes sys-net, sys-firewall, but also others.
>
> I tried to check the logs but I don't get any valuable information.
> See screenshot.
>
> I started the following command in dom0:
>
> watch -n 1 xl list
>
> When I try to launch a VM I can see that the VMs appears in the xl list output, but the State is ------ and the Time(s) is 0.0.
> After ~30sec the start is aborted with error message: Cannot execute qrexec-daemon.
>
> Questions:
> 1) is anyone running Qubes 4.0-rc2 on a Lenovo X230?
> 2) is someone additionaly running Coreboot?
> 3) I am running the Qubes Installation with the default settings, any options to tweak on the Grub command line
>
> [799]
>

> Gesendet von ProtonMail mobile

Did you make it permanently ? inside the grub ?

Open a terminal in dom0
Edit /etc/default/grub (e.g. sudo nano /etc/default/grub)
Add to the line GRUB_CMDLINE_XEN_DEFAULT the setting iommu=no-igfx, save and quit
Commit the change withsudo grub2-mkconfig --output /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

Dont give up :)

[799]

Nov 2, 2017, 4:21:38 AM11/2/17
to royb...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

>> Did you make it permanently ?

Yes of course :-) but thank you for the reminder, I edited in once in grub for the first boot after installation and then applied it in the Grub configuration.
Same results, VMs won't start - it seems only the both sys network VMs work.

>> Dont give up :)

Of course not ... Don't be afraid, there ist just nothing more I can contribute to the Devs and I am sure the topic will be solved in the next Release Candidate.
Happy to test then, but it seems that this horse is dead (or I have the wrong saddle to ride it).

[799]

cooloutac

Nov 2, 2017, 9:25:30 AM11/2/17
to qubes-users

Think iommu is nescessary in 4.0, I could be wrong. Does the stock bios on your machine support it maybe?

Roy Bernat

Nov 4, 2017, 1:18:00 PM11/4/17
to qubes-users

It is not needed . for me now after the remove of iommu all worked . need to say that the templates need to be update in order to work . so if you are update the dom0 you should also update the templates .