laptop fails to sleep, becomes very hot

Dave C

Mar 13, 2018, 5:13:45 PM3/13/18
to qubes-users
Many times in recent days, I've closed my Qubes laptop, expecting it to sleep, and put it into my backpack. Normally it sleeps as expected.

Two of those times, once today and once several days ago, I reach into the backpack and find the laptop extremely hot to the touch. I'd expect the fan to be on at these temperatures, but it isn't.

When I open the laptop, theres no response and similarly no response to pressing keys. I press and hold the power button for a long time. There's still no feedback from the computer, but it does turn off and cool down.

So far, I haven't noticed permanent damage, but I worry about that. It's an unpleasant surprise to find that the battery is totally drained and I'm not sure what the computer has been trying to do.

Any thoughts? Or suggestions how to troubleshoot this?

-Dave

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20HHCTO1WW-20180313-131259.yml

Yuraeitha

Mar 13, 2018, 6:46:03 PM3/13/18
to qubes-users

I can confirm two similar cases in recent weeks, though there's been quite some time between them, weeks? and I typically use suspend multiple times a day, except sometimes weekends.

There are other cases, where sys-net stops responding, or the internet isn't working when it's brought back from suspend, though these cases are just as rare as the above no suspend issue (I'm using the wi-fi module blacklisting in sys-net btw).

To me it seems like a semi-rare bug that is triggered by something yet unknown, though maybe it's known on github tracking issues?

Either way, I think this might be related to the sys-net, but I can't really be sure here. Perhaps you can write a script that disables the networking, shutsdown sys-net, and then starts sys-net again and re-connects networking as it wakes up.

This isn't a pretty solution, but it might work? Does your issue happen frequent enough so that you can test if sys-net is shutdown, that suspend then works properly? Would be ideal to know if that is indeed it before spending some time on such a script.

Dave C

Aug 27, 2018, 6:24:58 PM8/27/18
to qubes-users

The problem of a sleeping laptop getting *very* hot happened again today. That gives you some idea how frequently: not enough to make troubleshooting easy.

I wonder if part of the cause is taking the laptop while sleeping and plugged in, unplugging and putting in backpack. That is I wonder whether unplugging disturbs its sleep.

On reboot, my system clock is 1 hour early. Meaning it shows 2:21 when it's actually 3:21. I mention in case it's relevant.

After restarting, I used `journalctl -o short-precise -k -b -1` to get logs from the prior boot. Note: this works on dom0, but on sys-net it looks like the "prior boot" comes from the template, so its not useful.

There are some messages in the log related to CPUs sleeping and waking. So I include it here. Maybe something will jump out to an expert here. I'm really not sure what these messages mean.

Attached log shows this morning around 9am. That's when I closed the lid. The laptop was plugged in. Around 1pm I unplugged it, put it in my backpack. Around 3pm, I took it out. Noticed it was hot to the touch. No fans blowing, just a really hot laptop. Completely unresponsive to any input. I pressed the power button for a while...a couple times...until it powered on (I wanted to get the fan running). The battery was about 50% drained.

20180827.log