strange bug: qubes-os booted from external device forces filevault reset.

pixel fairy

Jan 4, 2017, 8:10:02 PM1/4/17
to qubes-users
when booting qubes-os on a mac (hardware 11,3) filevault stops accepting the passphrase and you have to use the reset key to make a new one.

ive only done this with an external drive. for some reason, qubes is either writing to the internal drive, or the mac firmware is rewriting it, or filevault keeps those keys elsewhere and qubes is somehow tripping that. either way, its pretty strange stuff.

this happens with qubes-3.2 though it doesnt actaully boot. you only get "." on the screen. qubes-3.2-unstable does boot, and even run for a few minutes, and also trips filevault.

Ángel

Jan 6, 2017, 5:05:24 AM1/6/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
pixel fairy wrote:
> when booting qubes-os on a mac (hardware 11,3) filevault stops accepting the passphrase and you have to use the reset key to make a new one.
>
> ive only done this with an external drive. for some reason, qubes is either writing to the internal drive, or the mac firmware is rewriting it, or filevault keeps those keys elsewhere and qubes is somehow tripping that. either way, its pretty strange stuff.

My guess is that it would be related to a TPM, either being tripped
directly (eg. by Qubes checking if there is one) or by detecting a
hardware change related to the boot from the external drive.

You could try removing/disconnecting the internal drive and then booting
from the external drive. That way cannot write to the internal drive at
all, so if it still happens after putting it back, it clearly is not a
matter of accesses to the internal drive.