XPS 13 9310 - Installation fails at boot, Stuck at "xen is relinquishing vga console"

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Nov 28, 2020, 1:02:53 PM11/28/20
to qubes-users

Hello all,

I just got a new lappy and I'm trying to install Qubes on it, which is my main OS. I understand that the hardware is very new, so problems are to be expected.

My main problem at the moment is that I cannot get the installation to boot. I prepared a usb medium, kept partition size under 8GB, and disabled secure boot in the firmware.

Everything goes well and I can get xen to boot, but then it gets stuck at `xen is relinquishing vga console`, pretty much as it happens in this related issue: https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/5165

I've tried fiddling with different options found both in the Qubes Issues repo and in the UEFI throubleshooting, but I wasn't successful.

Any help would be appreciated, starting from a very simple fact: Is there a way to access the xen boot logs? They go very fast on my screen and it's difficult to get what's going on.

Cheers,
Fab

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Dec 5, 2020, 12:49:53 PM12/5/20
to qubes-users
So, a small update: I downloaded the most recent 4.1 alpha ISO from https://openqa.qubes-os.org hoping that a maybe a newer xen version/linux kernel would have helped. The installer freezes anyway, and selecting the verbose mode in the boot menu I get exactly the same message as before before the black screen. I'm a bit at a loss here, any suggestion is appreciated!

Fab

Fabrizio Romano Genovese

Dec 6, 2020, 6:44:43 AM12/6/20
to qubes-users
Someone mailed me some suggestions, but probably did it directly and the email does not show in the thread.

Anyway:
-The installer can take a long time to show up, so I left the pc on overnight, but nothing happens. When I woke up I got the same black screen.
- Keyboard layout is US International
- My Chipset is Intel i7-1165G7, which comes with Intel Iris Xe Graphics. I have no other GPU on my pc.
- For the boot messages yes, I can take pictures. The output is very arid tho. I managed to get more stuff printed on screen by following this suggestion:
...In which case output goes on forever until it says that boot failed.

I'll try to take some pictures of this later on today!
Fab