Trouble booting Qubes in UEFI mode alongside Windows (dual-booting)

Krasi

Dec 13, 2016, 9:43:40 AM12/13/16
to qubes-users
Hi everyone, I hope you could point me in the right direction, I have been able to install Qubes on its own partition and the boot EFI files are on the boot partition along with those for Windows but when I reboot and press F12 to select the boot device I only see the Windows bootmanager, I do not see Qubes but when I run "efibootmgr -v" from a live Ubuntu USB I can see an entry for Qubes so I am not sure why the firmware does not see it and would not allow me to boot it.

I even tried to remove Windows and just leave Qubes but I dont think Qubes wiped the boot partition so it was unable to boot and it would just send me to the firmware (BIOS) settings screen.

I tried to disable UEFI and just use legacy mode to install but Qubes is unable to start the graphics and sends me back to text mode install and is unable to setup the installation partitions correctly under text mode, something about the encryption key missing.

I am trying to get Qubes work on a laptop, using intel core i7-7500U, integrated graphics(Intel HD Graphics 620), 12 GB ram and 500GB SSD.

Any help is appreciated :) Thanks

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 13, 2016, 12:10:11 PM12/13/16
to Krasi, qubes-users

krasi

Dec 13, 2016, 1:32:18 PM12/13/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Thanks for the help Marek, I was looking around and found this tool EasyUEFI. Decided to give it a try and found that the qubes partition was hidden... wow

I was able to use the tool to force EFI to boot from the partition by moving it to the top of the list. Weird, not sure why the partition was marked as hidden but I am able to boot into Qubes now and will need to work on installing some drivers now :)

I will report the hardware I am using so it can be added to the compatibility list soon.