Rise up . Net

aimeej...@gmail.com

Nov 6, 2017, 5:17:07 PM11/6/17
to qubes-users
I am trying to establish a secure connection woth riseup as a platform to organize, and communicate with a group of people but i have no invite code. If anybody is awesome enough to send me one, i would be very grateful

Tai...@gmx.com

Nov 6, 2017, 7:51:03 PM11/6/17
to aimeej...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 11/06/2017 05:17 PM, aimeej...@gmail.com wrote:

> I am trying to establish a secure connection woth riseup as a platform to organize, and communicate with a group of people but i have no invite code. If anybody is awesome enough to send me one, i would be very grateful

I take it all of you haven't read the wikipedia article on them...

Irregardless they're a lot better than gmail which everyone in this list
loves for some reason - the standard oil of technology gets a free pass
from all the bad shit they do as they have a rumpus room and brightly
colored office furniture.

Desobediente

Nov 6, 2017, 9:36:21 PM11/6/17
to qubes-users
According to the Riseup terms, riseup users are supposed to send invites to people we know and trust. If there is a riseup person in this list (and I think there is), you could even get your account suspended and the person who gave you an invite, too. I take it that this list is actually one of the best places in the internet to ask such a thing, because this reply I'm giving you it's a rare thing out there.

But looking at what are you trying to do, you don't need a red riseup account. You may use a green account which doesn't require an invite.

You can for example start a mailing list - lists.riseup.net which will use the e-mail accounts you group is already using, including gmx/gmail/etc. and that is a problem, the involved people should start gradually using a different account - that's my personal opinion, I've found that for most people it's better to change their habits at  their own pace than to radically change everything overnight.
The main issue solved with a mailing list is that you can conceal the subscribers, and therefore they can't be connected, even if there's a subscriber spying the message content. If people can respond to the messages, then their addresses will be revealed only for subscribers. You can even have an open public list which reveals every message and every subscriber like googlegroups, there's a lot of flexibility.

Other tool you may use is the crabgrass social network at we.riseup.net - that one doesn't even require an e-mail account, and it have most features you would expect from a production suite / social interaction / group work framework for non tech people.

There is more you can do without a red riseup account, look for "other services" with the green star in the main site.

Desobediente

Nov 6, 2017, 9:40:30 PM11/6/17
to qubes-users
Regarding using a google account for these lists, it's something I do strictly on googlegroups mailing lists. I don't see a point of having my "real" mailboxes spammed just to have all my data processed by google anyway. I could use an alternative e-mail just for the sake of incentive other people to do it too, but I have other means of express my political statements on that which I find better, and even if no one used google accounts here, we're still stuck in a google mailing list anyway.

Tai...@gmx.com

Nov 7, 2017, 12:01:36 PM11/7/17
to Desobediente, qubes-users
The idea is that every time you complete one of their captchas:
* Your browser/computer gets fingerprinted
* You help their AI research, which will be one day used for something
terrible (put everyone out of work)