Updating Signal desktop

S.A.Rashidi

Nov 7, 2021, 7:20:24 AM11/7/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

I am having a problem with Signal Desktop. Signal released new update and as a result the desktop version is not working anymore. What is the best way to update Signal desktop?

Amir Rashidi
Signal: +1(202)560-3853
GPG Fingerprint: 5EDE 7C56 33AB 43FF A85A EF04 FAA2 6FE8 7DA4 C124
Signal.gif

Sven Semmler

Nov 8, 2021, 12:12:59 AM11/8/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
How did you install it?

If you used a debian template and the instructions on the signal website, you just need to update the template.
OpenPGP_signature

Sven Semmler

Nov 8, 2021, 10:31:45 AM11/8/21
to S.A.Rashidi, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 11/8/21 06:47, S.A.Rashidi wrote:
> No, I am using a Fedora template.

Than you installed it how? Using snap?

Please make sure you reply to the list.

/Sven

--
public key: https://www.svensemmler.org/2A632C537D744BC7.asc
fingerprint: DA59 75C9 ABC4 0C83 3B2F 620B 2A63 2C53 7D74 4BC7

AmiR Rashidi

Nov 8, 2021, 10:38:33 AM11/8/21
to Sven Semmler, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I ran this command on my Fedora template:

sudo dnf install signal-deaktop

It was working until signal release an update and after that i am not able to use it.

TheGardner

Nov 8, 2021, 11:26:52 AM11/8/21
to qubes-users
Have you tried to get it from the copr repository? You should do this via:

sudo dnf copr enable luminoso/Signal-Desktop

and your (already) used command

sudo dnf install signal-deaktop

S.A.Rashidi

Nov 8, 2021, 12:56:35 PM11/8/21
to TheGardner, qubes-users

That's what I did.

I tried to removed Signal and install it one more time and still I have getting the same error message.

TheGardner

Nov 8, 2021, 1:56:51 PM11/8/21
to qubes-users
Strange.
Tested it on my 4.0.4 device and it's working like a charm.

S.A.Rashidi

Nov 8, 2021, 4:20:18 PM11/8/21
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

I am running 4.0(R4.0).

Do you think this might be the issue?

TheGardner

Nov 8, 2021, 7:06:08 PM11/8/21
to qubes-users
Don't think so. Would rather believe this happens to 4.1 more, than on 4.0.4
4.1 still is under development... But can test an install on my 4.0.4 device. Let's see how this will look like.
Keep you informed...

Cheers Steffen

TheGardner

Nov 8, 2021, 7:37:14 PM11/8/21
to qubes-users
same on 4.0.4... no problems during install and tool opens w/o any error. Workin' !
Sorry, somethings seems to be wrong on your template/AppVM.

S.A.Rashidi

Nov 9, 2021, 5:30:39 AM11/9/21
to TheGardner, qubes-users

Thanks for testing that.

Any idea on how can I debug it?

TheGardner

Nov 9, 2021, 10:35:59 AM11/9/21
to qubes-users
no real clue. would try to remove it again and install it new.
or at least clone the current template (or reinstall it from scratch) and install signal-desktop there again.

AmiR

Nov 10, 2021, 1:54:10 PM11/10/21
to TheGardner, qubes-users

Finally I am having Signal desktop :)

I was able to install and use it when I download it from https://snapcraft.io store.

Thanks everyone who helped to to find the solution.