More user frindly desktop.

bob3...@gmail.com

Dec 7, 2016, 8:49:50 AM12/7/16
to qubes-users
I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.

I'm confused.

Leeteqxv

Dec 7, 2016, 12:42:44 PM12/7/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 07/12/16 14:49, bob3...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.
>
> I'm confused.

@bob38851; There are certainly lots of things we can wish for to improve
things, but now the desktop has just been changed from KDE to XFCE, so
there are probably many small things to be added/adjusted for the new
environment in the coming releases.

It would be possible to have a fruitful discussion about this if you
could be more specific on what you would like to do?
Which user-friendly features are you missing, or is your point how to
replace the whole desktop with a customizeable one? Are you looking for
something similar in flexibility as the Gnome
CompizConfigSettingsManager addons, for example? (Is it the Desktop or
the Window Manager flexibility you want more control of?) Or just a
customizeable menu for app launchers? (The current panel can be
multiplied with new, custom launchers)

Chris Laprise

Dec 7, 2016, 3:18:05 PM12/7/16
to bob3...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On 12/07/2016 08:49 AM, bob3...@gmail.com wrote:
> I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop without installing a few things on dom0. Even the link in the qubes docs is to a guy who did that but they also say never run anything in a template or dom0.
>
> I'm confused.

Adding a few utilities with qubes-dom0-update is not a big deal. Just
don't add applications or do normal computing/processing in dom0.

Chris

Jean-Philippe Ouellet

Dec 8, 2016, 12:45:28 AM12/8/16
On Wed, Dec 7, 2016 at 8:49 AM, <bob3...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm new to qubes but how can I make a more user friendly desktop

Qubes' patched KDE still worked fine last time I tried it. Perhaps you
might find that more friendly?

> without installing a few things on dom0

I think the seriousness of installing things there may have been
slightly overstated. If all you are looking to install are standard
common desktop environment components, it should probably be fine.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 8, 2016, 6:56:52 AM12/8/16
to bob3...@gmail.com, qubes-users