Win7 hvm screen resolutions/windows

Ely105

Apr 23, 2017, 2:05:17 PM4/23/17
to qubes-users

All,
After several different installs of a win7 HVM I have noticed on my systems that the Windows Desktop defaults to a fullscreen window, in my case 3840x2100. All attempts to change the size of the window or dragging it result in it snapping back to it's full size. The only option that seems to work is to minimize it to the taskbar. Within windows my only resolution options are 3840x2100 or 800x600. Not my first choices. :)

Any ideas on if it's possible to get it into a window?

I don't see any options in qvm-prefs.

Thanks,
Mark

Drew White

Apr 23, 2017, 11:09:58 PM4/23/17
to qubes-users

boot in debug mode, then go into safe mode.
Disable Qubes Video in system, but enable Standard Video.
Then reboot the VM.

Philipp Raschdorff

Apr 24, 2017, 5:25:44 PM4/24/17
to drew....@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Solution to fix the screen resolution problem with Win7 HVM under Qubes 3.2  according to Drew:

1) boot in debug mode
2) then go into safe mode
3) Disable Qubes Video in system, but enable Standard Video.
4) Then reboot the VM.

Questions:
- Will this break seamless mode?
- are there any tradeoffs when using standard video vs Qubes Video?
- what exact must be done in step 3)? Uninstalling Qubes Tools and reinstall without Qubes Video?
- as this (Qubes Video with resizing the Win7 HVM window or display resolution) was working under Qubes 3.1, is someone working on this, so that we can see a fix / new Qubes Tools Update?

Kind regards

- P

Drew White

Apr 24, 2017, 11:18:15 PM4/24/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 07:25:44 UTC+10, Piit wrote:
> Solution to fix the screen resolution problem with Win7 HVM under Qubes 3.2  according to Drew:
>

> 1) boot in debug mode
> 2) then go into safe mode
> 3) Disable Qubes Video in system, but enable Standard Video.
> 4) Then reboot the VM.
>

> Questions:
> - Will this break seamless mode?
Yes.
> - are there any tradeoffs when using standard video vs Qubes Video?
No.
> - what exact must be done in step 3)? Uninstalling Qubes Tools and reinstall without Qubes Video?
No.
> - as this (Qubes Video with resizing the Win7 HVM window or display resolution) was working under Qubes 3.1, is someone working on this, so that we can see a fix / new Qubes Tools Update?

Qubes Windows Tools 3.1.2.3 works well, and little to no issue, after that, they broke it and it has not been able to be fixed properly.
"Something they fixed broke something else."
It's a common situation and a tradeoff.
So if you don't mind the bug in the earlier version, use it to get back the better Video Adaptor (Qubes Video)

I did it, and it works perfectly for me.

I can set whatever resolution I want.

If I want seamless mode, I just enable to video and the run it in seamless mode.

At one point, I had it running on the screen, and had a hardware mouse in it, and it was on BOTH Qubes (SEAMLESS) as well as standard. so it was DUAL MONITOR completely. So I had one window that was Windows, and then if I moved things from there off onto the Qubes Video screen, then it would be Seamless where I would use my other mouse.

That worked like a charm. Then I updated the tools, and installed the update, and it broke it.

> Am 24.04.2017 5:09 vorm. schrieb "Drew White" <drew....@gmail.com>:
>
> On Monday, 24 April 2017 04:05:17 UTC+10, Ely105  wrote:
>
> > All,
>
> >   After several different installs of a win7 HVM I have noticed on my systems that the Windows Desktop defaults to a fullscreen window, in my case 3840x2100.  All attempts to change the size of the window or dragging it result in it snapping back to it's full size.  The only option that seems to work is to minimize it to the taskbar.  Within windows my only resolution options are 3840x2100 or 800x600.  Not my first choices.  :)
>

> > Any ideas on if it's possible to get it into a window?
>

> > I don't see any options in qvm-prefs.
>

> > Thanks,
>
> > Mark
>

> boot in debug mode, then go into safe mode.
>
> Disable Qubes Video in system, but enable Standard Video.
>
> Then reboot the VM.

Drew White

Apr 24, 2017, 11:24:11 PM4/24/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
FYI.. If you did choose to go for seamless alongside normal, that is much more difficult to achieve, and it would mean one instance per mouse.

I was however working on a little program to fix the whole issue at one point, I may finish that and upload that for people to use in the systems to avoid this issue of resolutions and more regarding the device.

It's simply just enabling and disabling the video devices to switch between the two.

The standard windows adaptive state works fine like it, but I never got it to release versions. Because Windows tools broke things and I had way too much work to do to finish it up.

If I get it working properly, it would make everything a lot easier for all those that have this issue.

The only issue with it is that it would require the tools to be installed (QREXEC ) to be specific. Unless you would preferr a serial connection from Dom0 to generate and connect to perform the action? If that would be preferred, let me know and I'll build that in too. (means it runs from Dom0, instead of the Guest.)

Ely105

Apr 25, 2017, 12:36:59 AM4/25/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com

> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/6039b140-42fd-4c4b-9b6b-ba50d6aaa517%40googlegroups.com.

Thanks for the suggestion. When I try to boot into Safe Mode it always hangs on CLASSPNP.SYS and just sits there.

Drew White

Apr 25, 2017, 2:27:39 AM4/25/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
If that is the case, try booting to LOW RESOLUTION mode.

Drew White

Apr 25, 2017, 2:43:47 AM4/25/17
to qubes-users, drew....@gmail.com
On Tuesday, 25 April 2017 14:36:59 UTC+10, Ely105 wrote:
There are several reasons this can occurr...

1. There is something corrupt in the install.
2. It's trying to load the GUI but can't because it's trying to use the Qubes Video Driver but that's disabled. (Make sure the template has seamless mode turned off as well as everything else, the AppHVM too.)
3. It's trying to do something and is about to BSOD.
4. It's just taking forever because it may be trying to move the user profiles and do other configurations.
5. ETC.. (There are others, but those 4 are the most common reasons.)