How to update default template VM?

Michael MENG

Mar 14, 2018, 9:47:34 AM3/14/18
to qubes-users
Hi All,
I did install RC4 from 3.2, I cannot get update the default templatevm even assigned sys-firewall, how to fix this?

Unman

Mar 14, 2018, 10:14:05 AM3/14/18
to Michael MENG, qubes-users
On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 06:47:34AM -0700, Michael MENG wrote:
> Hi All,
> I did install RC4 from 3.2, I cannot get update the default templatevm even assigned sys-firewall, how to fix this?

Hi Michael

Which template are you using as default?
What error are you getting when you run an update?

sevas

Mar 14, 2018, 1:05:25 PM3/14/18
to qubes-users
Check the RPC Policy; for updates.

/etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy

Make sure your sys-net is the correct one.

Michael MENG

Mar 14, 2018, 7:33:49 PM3/14/18
to qubes-users
Hi Unman,

I use fedora26 default, it prompt update icon, so i try to click "update qubes", but it doesnt popup anything, i tried to connect sys-firewall to it still no function.

sevas

Mar 15, 2018, 3:43:12 AM3/15/18
to qubes-users
Templates do not need to connect to anything.

Open a dom0 terminal (xterm/uxterm) and type 'journalctl -f'
then open a fedora-26 terminal and type 'sudo yum update'

then tell us what it says on the dom0 journalctl output.

Type 'sudo vi /etc/qubes-rpc/policy/qubes.UpdatesProxy'
Its going to look like this:

$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-whonix
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix
$tag:whonix-updatevm $anyvm deny
## Note that policy parsing stops at the first match,
## so adding anything below "$anyvm $anyvm action" line will have no effect
## Please use a single # to start your custom comments
# Default rule for all TemplateVMs - direct the connection to sys-net
$type:TemplateVM $default allow,target=sys-net

Make sure the last line points to your sys-net.

Go into your sys-net qube settings. (Right click>settings>Services)
Go to the last tab, Services. Type "qubes-updates-proxy" click add.

If the qube is running, open a terminal and type "systemctl restart qubes-updates-proxy"

Michael MENG

Mar 15, 2018, 9:41:46 AM3/15/18
to qubes-users

Thanks, look can update when use the following, but what about another template say whonix and debian?

1. fedora-26 terminal and type 'sudo yum update'
2. on the dom0 journalctl output.

20180315_205858.jpg
Message has been deleted

Unman

Mar 15, 2018, 7:59:40 PM3/15/18
to sevas, qubes-users
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 04:55:47PM -0700, sevas wrote:
> debian updates with "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"
>
> Whonix should be the same, ("apt-get" or "yum"), but Im not entirely sure.

Whonix is based on Debian so apt-get is right

sevas

Mar 15, 2018, 8:01:45 PM3/15/18
to qubes-users
debian updates with "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade"

Whonix should be the same, ("apt-get" or "yum"), but Im not entirely sure.

Keep an eye on your logs (journalctl) and your RPC Policy.

Your RPC Policy suggests that Whonix will update through Tor,
$tag:whonix-updatevm $default allow,target=sys-whonix
so make sure sys-whonix is running.

Michael MENG

Mar 16, 2018, 11:36:11 PM3/16/18
to qubes-users
So i have to use CLI instead of "update qube"?

sevas

Mar 17, 2018, 12:45:10 AM3/17/18
to qubes-users
Not at all. You should be able to use the GUI, if you choose to do so.

Linux environments tend to be command line environments. You will occasionally find things that cannot be done via GUI, so its a good idea to learn how to do
things from the client.