QUBES Windows Tools won't install

neilh...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2016, 6:23:40 PM8/21/16
to qubes-users
I have a Win7 machine running, but I need to install Windows Tools.

in dom0, I run

sudo qubes-dom0-update qubes-windows-tools

I get

"no package qubes-windows-tools available"

I am running QUBES 3.2-rc2

Andrew David Wong

Aug 21, 2016, 6:56:14 PM8/21/16
to neilh...@gmail.com, qubes-users

neilh...@gmail.com

Aug 21, 2016, 8:22:13 PM8/21/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
I installed it. Networking was working prior to Windows Tools. After installing it, the network no longer works.

"no network access" when you click the network icon in the taskbar.

Andrew David Wong

Aug 21, 2016, 9:23:27 PM8/21/16
to neilh...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Foppe de Haan

Aug 22, 2016, 4:24:30 PM8/22/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
I installed w7x64 in a HVM today, and while the tools installation took about 1 hour of the installer seemingly not doing anything, and a few of the reboots "failing", it seems to be working fine now, including network access. (R3.2rc2.)

neilh...@gmail.com

Aug 22, 2016, 5:01:40 PM8/22/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com
I remember when I first installed Windows Tools, I accidentally double-clicked it and it was installing 2 versions of it at the same time.

This may have been what screwed up network access.

It may not be a glitch with Windows Tools at all.

Can Windows Tools be removed and re-installed in Windows "Add/Remove Programs" or something like that..?

If not, I'll re-install my entire win7 again, and maybe this time it will work.

What Windows Tools may need... is a system to prevent the user accidentally installing it multiple times at the same time.

I had 2 installations of the exact same thing going at the same time.

That's all I can remember doing wrong. This may not even be the reason at all. It's just my theory.

Foppe de Haan

Aug 24, 2016, 4:04:47 AM8/24/16
to qubes-users, neilh...@gmail.com

not sure if it can be removed. Could you please check whether the windows (virtual) network adapter has gateway information set (check against the info on the QVManager settings page)? You may have to enter it manually.