UEFI installation issue

wver...@eltan.com

Apr 18, 2017, 8:45:09 AM4/18/17
to qubes-users
Hello,

I am trying to install Qubes on a UEFI only system (no CSM).

Everything seems to work fine but after the install I have 2 problems:

1) The boot option isn't added
2) The efi\qubes directory doesn't contain xen.efi (just the one with the version in it) and the xen.cfg file is created but is 0 bytes in length so not very usefull.

Do you have any suggestion of what could be the problem? Or how this can be located?

If I run qubes repair I can use efibootmgr and I can also use the efivars file system so it doesn't look related to that.

When I tried to verify my boot media this failed but from the other posts it looks to me as this is standard for boot media created from Windows

Best regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Wim Vervoorn

Apr 18, 2017, 9:11:51 AM4/18/17
to Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users
Hello,

In the mean time I tried this one:

efi=no-rs (xen command line) - disable EFI runtime services at all - this would make installer unable to setup EFI boot, but at least may make your system bootable (once you setup xen.efi path in your EFI BIOS manually)

To eliminate any issues with the Efi runtime variables but this doesn't make any difference.

I still get this:

fs0:\EFI> cd qubes

fs0:\EFI\qubes> ls
Directory of: fs0:\EFI\qubes

04/18/17 02:54a <DIR> 8,192 .
04/18/17 02:54a <DIR> 8,192 ..
04/18/17 03:25a 0 xen.cfg
07/26/16 11:56a 2,126,535 xen-4.6.1.efi
04/18/17 03:25a 5,970,752 vmlinuz-4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64
04/18/17 03:26a 20,973,576 initramfs-4.4.14-11.pvops.qubes.x86_64.img
4 File(s) 29,070,863 bytes
2 Dir(s)

Best Regards,
Wim Vervoorn

Eltan B.V.
Ambachtstraat 23
5481 SM Schijndel
The Netherlands

T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
E : wver...@eltan.com
W : http://www.eltan.com
"THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664 OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 18, 2017, 3:29:57 PM4/18/17
to wver...@eltan.com, qubes-users

Wim Vervoorn

Apr 19, 2017, 5:07:29 AM4/19/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I obtained the logs and had a look at them.

I couldn't find anything obvious. Can you have a look at them.

Please be aware this isn't a standard UEFI BIOS but coreboot with a TianoCore payload on top of it. This implementation is UEFI only and doesn't support a CSM in any way.

Best Regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Eltan B.V.
Ambachtstraat 23
5481 SM Schijndel
The Netherlands

T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
E : wver...@eltan.com
W : http://www.eltan.com

"THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664 OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

Apr 19, 2017, 10:08:27 AM4/19/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

I also tried booting using the xen.cfg file.

As far as I can see the cfg file is OK but the qubes os still fails.

The there is no request for the password and so the volumes are not unlocked.

I added both the xen.cfg I am using and the log file.

FYI /dev/sda1 is the ESP, /dev/sda2 is /boot and /dev/sda3 is the LVM partition

When I am using the rescue mode the password is asked and all seems to be fine.
rdsosreport.txt
xen.cfg

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 19, 2017, 3:21:15 PM4/19/17
to Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 19, 2017, 3:26:28 PM4/19/17
to Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 19, 2017, 3:39:12 PM4/19/17
to Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users

Andrew David Wong

Apr 19, 2017, 3:46:36 PM4/19/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users

hft.h...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2017, 5:10:57 PM4/19/17
to qubes-users
Op dinsdag 18 april 2017 14:45:09 UTC+2 schreef wver...@eltan.com:

Yup, my bootable usb couldn't verify itself. But then within the installer, I chose different install medium and selected the same downloaded iso file from my Windows data partition. Verification of this file was success.
No problems installing this way. :)
Have you tried this? This is more like a workaround, not a solution to the failed verification.
Otherwise I'm not of any help to you hehe sorry.

Wim Vervoorn

Apr 20, 2017, 4:09:36 AM4/20/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

Please look at my comments below:

Wim

Apr 20, 2017, 4:18:46 AM4/20/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

I reformatted the disk and now the system is working after copying the correct xen.cfg file.

The issue that is left is now the correct setting of the boot option by the install process.

Best Regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Eltan B.V.
Ambachtstraat 23
5481 SM Schijndel
The Netherlands

T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
E : wver...@eltan.com
W : http://www.eltan.com

"THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664 OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

Apr 20, 2017, 4:26:30 AM4/20/17
to hft.h...@gmail.com, qubes-users
Thanks,

The failure of the verification is not a real issue. It's basically an error in the verification mechanism triggered by the fact that Windows creates an additional folder with some volume information on the fat partition of the disk.

Wim

Apr 20, 2017, 5:57:44 AM4/20/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

The previous logging was with a debug version of the UEFI code.

I now tried a release version as well.

The good thing is that the EFI_UNSUPPORTED response from efivars: get_next_variable doesn't show up any longer.

The bad news is that I still see the "INFO anaconda: skipping boot loader install per user request" message so somehow anaconda is concluding the bootloader install should be skipped.

This is the final part of the anaconda log:

22:39:12,715 INFO anaconda: Installing boot loader
22:39:14,663 DEBUG anaconda: new default image: <pyanaconda.bootloader.LinuxBootLoaderImage object at 0x7fc4f24ffb70>
22:39:14,737 INFO anaconda: skipping boot loader install per user request
22:39:14,738 INFO anaconda: Installing boot loader
22:39:14,739 INFO anaconda: Performing post-installation setup tasks
22:39:14,760 INFO anaconda: Performing post-installation setup tasks
22:39:14,763 INFO anaconda: Thread Done: AnaInstallThread (140483890104064)
22:39:46,558 DEBUG anaconda: Entered spoke: UserSpoke
22:40:08,695 DEBUG anaconda: Left spoke: UserSpoke
22:40:20,756 INFO anaconda: Running Thread: AnaConfigurationThread (140483890104064)
22:40:20,759 INFO anaconda: Configuring installed system
22:40:22,320 INFO anaconda: Configuring installed system
22:40:22,321 INFO anaconda: Writing network configuration
22:40:22,330 INFO anaconda: setting installation environment host name to dom0
22:40:22,661 INFO anaconda: Writing network configuration
22:40:22,662 INFO anaconda: Creating users
22:40:22,664 INFO anaconda: user account root setup with no password
22:40:22,664 INFO anaconda: user account root locked
22:40:23,215 ERR anaconda: User eltan already exists, not creating.
22:40:23,217 INFO anaconda: Creating users
22:40:23,218 INFO anaconda: Configuring addons
22:40:23,219 INFO anaconda: Configuring addons
22:40:23,220 INFO anaconda: Generating initramfs
22:50:35,588 INFO anaconda: Generating initramfs
22:50:35,607 INFO anaconda: Running post-installation scripts
22:50:35,609 INFO anaconda: Running kickstart %%post script(s)

The OS is booting fine after creating the boot option manually (and performing the other steps like copying a correct xen.cfg file)

So at this point the main item to tackle is the reason why anaconda skips the bootloader install.

Best Regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Eltan B.V.
Ambachtstraat 23
5481 SM Schijndel
The Netherlands

T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
E : wver...@eltan.com
W : http://www.eltan.com

"THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664 OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

Apr 20, 2017, 9:33:44 AM4/20/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

One other item came to mind thinking about this.

When I install Qubes and indicate I want the default partitions to be created it does create the three partitions mentioned on the website but it doesn't create the UEFI ESP partition which of course is also required on a UEFI system.

Is this expected behavior or is this a sign that the installer doesn't completely recognize this system as being a UEFI system? Perhaps the installer doesn't complete properly because of this?

Best Regards,
Wim Vervoorn

Eltan B.V.
Ambachtstraat 23
5481 SM Schijndel
The Netherlands

T : +31-(0)73-594 46 64
E : wver...@eltan.com
W : http://www.eltan.com
"THIS MESSAGE CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. UNLESS YOU ARE THE INTENDED RECIPIENT OF THIS MESSAGE, ANY USE OF THIS MESSAGE IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED. IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED THIS MESSAGE IN ERROR, PLEASE IMMEDIATELY NOTIFY THE SENDER BY TELEPHONE +31-(0)73-5944664 OR REPLY EMAIL, AND IMMEDIATELY DELETE THIS MESSAGE AND ALL COPIES."

Apr 24, 2017, 3:32:23 AM4/24/17
to qubes-users

Hello,

Is this still at the right list? Or should this issue be moved to another one?

Anyhow, is there any possibility to direct me to the location this installation is handled so I can have a look myself if needed?

Best regards,

Wim

wver...@eltan.com

Apr 24, 2017, 6:25:32 AM4/24/17
to qubes-users, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com
Hello,

I have been looking at this a bit further and found a part in the log that looks suspicious to me:

At some point the log returns:

22:06:43,197 INFO anaconda: skipping unneeded stage1 efi request

I haven't been able to located where this comes from, could this be the cause of problems or is this expected?

Furthermore, if I look in qubes-install/anaconda/pyanaconda/bootloader.py it looks like add_image() is executed correctly while Add_efi_boot_tartget() is not as the expected result is not there and no error is reported.

22:06:43,173 DEBUG anaconda: autoPartitionRequests:
PartSpec instance (0x7fc4f1ac72e8) --
mountpoint = / lv = True thin = True btrfs = True
weight = 0 fstype = ext4 encrypted = True
size = 1 GiB maxSize = None grow = True
PartSpec instance (0x7fc4f1ac7320) --
mountpoint = /boot/efi lv = False thin = False btrfs = False
weight = 5000 fstype = efi encrypted = False
size = 20 MiB maxSize = 200 MiB grow = True
PartSpec instance (0x7fc4f1ac7358) --
mountpoint = /boot lv = False thin = False btrfs = False
weight = 2000 fstype = ext4 encrypted = False
size = 500 MiB maxSize = None grow = False
PartSpec instance (0x7fc4f1ac7390) --
mountpoint = None lv = True thin = False btrfs = False
weight = 0 fstype = swap encrypted = True
size = 7.5 GiB maxSize = None grow = False

22:06:43,173 DEBUG anaconda: storage.disks: ['sda']
22:06:43,174 DEBUG anaconda: storage.partitioned: ['sda']
22:06:43,174 DEBUG anaconda: all names: ['/LiveOS/rootfs.img', '/overlay (deleted)', '/run/install/repo/LiveOS/squashfs.img', 'live-base', 'live-rw', 'loop0', 'loop1', 'loop2', 'sda']
22:06:43,179 DEBUG anaconda: boot disk: sda
22:06:43,193 DEBUG anaconda: candidate disks: [DiskDevice instance (0x7fc4f1acf438) --
name = sda status = True kids = 0 id = 227
parents = []
uuid = None size = 111.79 GiB
format = existing gpt disklabel
major = 8 minor = 0 exists = True protected = False
sysfs path = /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:17.0/ata2/host1/target1:0:0/1:0:0:0/block/sda
target size = 111.79 GiB path = /dev/sda
format args = [] originalFormat = disklabel removable = False]
22:06:43,195 DEBUG anaconda: devs: [PartitionDevice instance (0x7fc4f1abeeb8) --
name = req10 status = False kids = 0 id = 2596
parents = []
uuid = None size = 500 MiB
format = non-existent luks
major = 0 minor = 0 exists = False protected = False
sysfs path =
target size = 500 MiB path = /dev/req10
format args = [] originalFormat = luks grow = True max size = 0 B bootable = None
part type = None primary = False start sector = None end sector = None
partedPartition = None
disk = None
]
22:06:43,197 INFO anaconda: skipping unneeded stage1 efi request **** WIV SUSPICIOUS ???
22:06:43,197 DEBUG anaconda: PartSpec instance (0x7fc4f1ac7320) --
mountpoint = /boot/efi lv = False thin = False btrfs = False
weight = 5000 fstype = efi encrypted = False
size = 20 MiB maxSize = 200 MiB grow = True

22:06:43,198 DEBUG anaconda: None
22:06:43,454 DEBUG anaconda: finished automatic partitioning

wver...@eltan.com

Apr 24, 2017, 7:45:08 AM4/24/17
to qubes-users, marm...@invisiblethingslab.com
On Thursday, April 20, 2017 at 11:57:44 AM UTC+2, wver...@eltan.com wrote:
Hello,

I think this is the culprit:

This code is in bootloader.py line 1422:

if subprocess.check_output(
['dmidecode', '-s', 'bios-vendor'],
universal_newlines=True) == "coreboot\n":
log.info("dmidecode -s bios-vendor returns coreboot")
self.encryption_support = True
self.skip_bootloader = True
self.stage2_format_types += ["lvmlv"]

This indicates the bootloader can be skipped for coreboot, which may be correct for coreboot with a grub payload integrated but not when the UEFI payload is used as it is in our case.

Best regards,

Wim Vervoorn

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Apr 24, 2017, 8:05:17 AM4/24/17
to wver...@eltan.com, qubes-users

Wim Vervoorn

Apr 24, 2017, 9:44:53 AM4/24/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users
Hello Marek,

I tried this by changing the "coreboot" name in my coreboot version.

After that I performed a re-install.

After doing so this issue is solved. The xen.cfg is generated correct and the bootoptions are set correctly as well.

After this the system boots correctly without manual interactions.

I did run into another issue however but this is not related to writing the boot options I assume. After finalizing the setup the system is stuck with a cursor in the top left corner. I need to turn the system off to proceed. I try to gather some more information about this and post this as well.

Besides that I am wondering how you will deal with this issue. Will this be included in a new 3.2 release at some point in time or do I need to create a custom version to include this fix?

Best regards,

Wim

Apr 24, 2017, 9:54:14 AM4/24/17
to Wim Vervoorn, qubes-users

Wim Vervoorn

Apr 24, 2017, 11:24:19 AM4/24/17
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, qubes-users