live Distro

Leo Reitano

Jan 7, 2018, 7:31:18 PM1/7/18
to qubes-users
Hi all,
I would love to know if is possible to use Qube as live distro on a usb or a dvd and what is the procedure step by step

Moreover what is the release stage? alpha, beta?

Thanks

Leo

Unman

Jan 11, 2018, 1:35:31 PM1/11/18
to Leo Reitano, qubes-users
Yes - see here:
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/qubes-users/kcB3BTNKny0

Those images run off DVD or USB.I know a number of people use the Tor
version extensively.
(Incidentally, you can run these images in Qubes, booting from the disk
image, if you just want to explore.)

I failed miserably to get anything running for 4.0-rc2, so that target
has shifted now.

I should be posting updated 3.2 images in the next few days.

unman

Steve Coleman

Jan 11, 2018, 4:40:15 PM1/11/18
to qubes-users
On 01/11/2018 01:35 PM, Unman wrote:

> I failed miserably to get anything running for 4.0-rc2, so that target
> has shifted now.
>
> I should be posting updated 3.2 images in the next few days.

unman,

Given your difficulty in getting 4.0-rc2 to run, what is the possibility
of creating a DVD that merely checks the system for the proper BIOS,
chipset, and other features needed to support a full 4.0 system?

It seems to me that with the tightening constraints slated for 4.0, just
having a way to do a quick test of the system hardware before installing
would be a wonderful tool for the community at large. If one could
simply boot from a DVD and get some kind of a HCL report, of what
"necessary" vs desired features needed to support 4.0 that did not work,
then that could potentially save many people grief from wiping a working
system only to find out their hardware will not adequately support it.

If booting your DVD works as a test before upgrade this would be a
really good thing to have. Please do keep us advised as to your progress
on the 4.0 system capability. Having that as a tool would be awesome.

thanks,

Steve

> unman

Unman

Jan 11, 2018, 7:53:56 PM1/11/18
to Steve Coleman, qubes-users
Now that I should be able to do pretty easily. (famous last words.) Run
with one template and allow user to create qube and test network/usb
controllers, and generate HCL.

I'll keep you posted.