Qubes OS: .onion and links

Ulrich Windl

Nov 30, 2020, 3:16:31 PM11/30/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

I noticed when I click the link "upgrading Fedora TemplateVMs" found on
the onion version of the page (using the tor browser of whonix), you are
directed to a non-onion page
(https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/), and you'll have
to switch to onion again.

In contrast when I click news items on
http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/
I remain on onion sites.

Regards,
Ulrich

TheGardner

Dec 1, 2020, 12:22:23 PM12/1/20
to qubes-users
What happens, if you have set "Prioritize .onion sites when known." to ALWAYS under Privacy & Security - Browser Privacy ?

Cheers :)

disrupt_the_flow

Dec 1, 2020, 1:35:18 PM12/1/20
to 'disrupt_the_flow' via qubes-users
Hello Ulrich. What page exactly? I can't find such a page on the QubesOS website.
pEpkey.asc

Ulrich Windl

Dec 6, 2020, 8:04:30 PM12/6/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/1/20 6:22 PM, TheGardner wrote:
> What happens, if you have set "Prioritize .onion sites when known." to
> ALWAYS under Privacy & Security - Browser Privacy ?

That was not the question: The page exists; otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

> Cheers :)
>
> Ulrich Windl schrieb am Montag, 30. November 2020 um 21:16:31 UTC+1:
>
> Hi!
>
> I noticed when I click the link "upgrading Fedora TemplateVMs" found on
> the onion version of the page (using the tor browser of whonix), you
> are
> directed to a non-onion page
> (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/>), and you'll
> have
> to switch to onion again.
>
> In contrast when I click news items on
> http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/
> <http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/>
>
> I remain on onion sites.
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e6d5020b-5d5d-483f-8816-53b98ef90a0an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e6d5020b-5d5d-483f-8816-53b98ef90a0an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ulrich Windl

Dec 6, 2020, 8:05:01 PM12/6/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/2020/06/30/fedora-32-templates-available/

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/1FED7E54-AEAF-4D88-A2FD-A43CD3A2AD3F%40pretty.Easy.privacy
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/1FED7E54-AEAF-4D88-A2FD-A43CD3A2AD3F%40pretty.Easy.privacy?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ulrich Windl

Dec 6, 2020, 8:07:11 PM12/6/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Ulrich Windl

Dec 6, 2020, 8:07:35 PM12/6/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 12/1/20 6:22 PM, TheGardner wrote:
> What happens, if you have set "Prioritize .onion sites when known." to
> ALWAYS under Privacy & Security - Browser Privacy ?

That was not the question: The page exists; otherwise I wouldn't have asked.

> Cheers :)
>
> Ulrich Windl schrieb am Montag, 30. November 2020 um 21:16:31 UTC+1:
>
> Hi!
>
> I noticed when I click the link "upgrading Fedora TemplateVMs" found on
> the onion version of the page (using the tor browser of whonix), you
> are
> directed to a non-onion page
> (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/
> <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/>), and you'll
> have
> to switch to onion again.
>
> In contrast when I click news items on
> http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/
> <http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/>
>
> I remain on onion sites.
>
> Regards,
> Ulrich

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e6d5020b-5d5d-483f-8816-53b98ef90a0an%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e6d5020b-5d5d-483f-8816-53b98ef90a0an%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

unman

Dec 6, 2020, 8:13:27 PM12/6/20
to Ulrich Windl, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 02:07:03AM +0100, Ulrich Windl wrote:
> On 12/1/20 7:35 PM, 'disrupt_the_flow' via qubes-users wrote:
> > On November 30, 2020 8:15:14 PM UTC, Ulrich Windl
> > <ulrich...@rz.uni-regensburg.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > I noticed when I click the link "upgrading Fedora TemplateVMs" found on
> > the onion version of the page (using the tor browser of whonix), you are
> > directed to a non-onion page
> > (https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/), <https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/template/fedora/upgrade/),> and you'll have
> > to switch to onion again.
> >
> > In contrast when I click news items on
> > http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/
> > I remain on onion sites.
> >
> > Regards,
> > Ulrich
> >

> > Hello Ulrich. What page exactly? I can't find such a page on the QubesOS
> > website.
>
> http://qubesosfasa4zl44o4tws22di6kepyzfeqv3tg4e3ztknltfxqrymdad.onion/news/2020/06/30/fedora-32-templates-available/

Yes, the links on that page are hard coded to the clearnet site rather
than local links.
That's a mistake - but it is not peculiar to this page. A quick check
suggests that (almost?) all the news pages contain such links.
Thanks for pointing this out.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 7, 2020, 6:59:09 PM12/7/20
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Ah, that's because people asked a long time ago for the News post plain
text content to be copied into the body of messages to the mailing lists
(not just a hyperlink to the website). At the time, it seemed easier
just to include full URLs in the original Markdown source so that the
plain text could more easily be copy/pasted into messages to the mailing
lists, since the difference between absolute and relative links on the
was transparent to users after Jekyll rendering. Of course, we did not
foresee that something else would come to rely on the links to be
relative rather than absolute. Now that this is the case, we can simply
use relative links everywhere (including in these News posts) and write
out the complete URLs when preparing the plain text content for the
mailing lists.

--
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS

OpenPGP_signature

Andrew David Wong

Dec 7, 2020, 8:11:27 PM12/7/20
to unman, qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm also converting existing links from absolute to relative and
updating the doc guidelines on this point:

https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-posts/pull/73
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-doc/pull/1100
OpenPGP_signature