disp-vm whonix torbrowser open tabs file?

list...@gmail.com

May 3, 2020, 10:30:31 PM5/3/20
to qubes-users
Hello qubes users,

I have a whonix disposable tor browser whonix vm running with a load of tabs open, maybe 30 but I can't check the precise amount because the tabs don't scroll anymore.
The browser hangs.
As soon as I close the browser my tabs will be gone and I don't like to lose them.
I think there must be a session.json file but that seems to be created only when the browser closes, and this will close the VM automatically, so even if a restore file with tabs in it is created, it will be gone upon closure of the browser.
I can access the file system from within dom0 and could copy any file that I need.

Is there any place where whonix tor browser stores its currently open tabs

Thanks ahead.

list...@gmail.com

May 4, 2020, 2:35:21 AM5/4/20
to qubes-users
Actually, I guess it would be fine if there would be a procedure with which I can close down the disposable browser without the disp-vm automatically closing.
Then there will, probably, be a session.json file made which I then can copy to another VM.

Mike Keehan

May 4, 2020, 7:15:04 AM5/4/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> Is there any place where whonix tor browser stores its *currently open*
>> *tabs*?
>>
>> Thanks ahead.

Start a terminal in a dispVM, then use the command line to start the
browser. You can stop and start the browser whenever you want.

The dispVM will stay running until you close the terminal.

Mike.
Message has been deleted

unman

May 4, 2020, 7:32:43 AM5/4/20
to qubes-users
> > Is there any place where whonix tor browser stores its *currently open*
> > *tabs*?
> >
> > Thanks ahead.

The convention here is not to top-post.
Please scroll to the bottom of the message before you start typing. Or
reply inline.
It only takes you seconds, makes it much easier to follow threads, and
cumulatively saves your fellow users hours.
Thanks.

In FF, I think that the data is in sessionstore-backups. Have a look
there.
You may do better asking on the Whonix lists, as I believe they
customize the TBB somewhat.

unman

unman

May 4, 2020, 7:58:37 AM5/4/20
to qubes-users
Actually, since TBB wont remember history or site data, I dont think
that data is stored anywhere. (Unless i misremember, the Update reloads
open tabs, not by reading from existing stored data, but by storing that
data itself.)

Catacombs

May 4, 2020, 8:18:35 AM5/4/20
to qubes-users

”l have a whonix disposable tor browser whonix vm running with a load of tabs open, maybe 30 but I can't check the precise amount because the tabs don't scroll anymore. “

Consider creating a clone of Whonix Template QUBE, make all your Tabs Favorites. Used to be an option in Firefox to open all favorites. Or there is an option of what to start when starting Firefox.
Save this template clone for the specific use of having this group of Tabs a a available all at once.

”The browser hangs.” Perhaps increase the memory allocation for the QUBE that has all the Tabs

“As soon as I close the browser my tabs will be gone and I don't like to lose them.
I think there must be a session.json file but that seems to be created only when the browser closes, and this will close the VM automatically, so even if a restore file with tabs in it is created, it will be gone upon closure of the browser.
I can access the file system from within dom0 and could copy any file that I need.

Ulrich Windl

May 4, 2020, 3:57:14 PM5/4/20
to ggg...@gmail.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com
<24740_1588594718_5EB0081D_24740_209_1_e4ab08ee-0ed4-4089-9427-86850a35c9ea@goog
egroups.com>:

> ”l have a whonix disposable tor browser whonix vm running with a load of
> tabs open, maybe 30 but I can't check the precise amount because the tabs
> don't scroll anymore. “
>

> Consider creating a clone of Whonix Template QUBE, make all your Tabs
> Favorites. Used to be an option in Firefox to open all favorites. Or there

> is an option of what to start when starting Firefox.
> Save this template clone for the specific use of having this group of Tabs a

> a available all at once.
>
> ”The browser hangs.” Perhaps increase the memory allocation for the QUBE
> that has all the Tabs
>
> “As soon as I close the browser my tabs will be gone and I don't like to
> lose them.
> I think there must be a session.json file but that seems to be created only

> when the browser closes, and this will close the VM automatically, so even
if
> a restore file with tabs in it is created, it will be gone upon closure of
> the browser.
> I can access the file system from within dom0 and could copy any file that I

> need.
>
> Is there any place where whonix tor browser stores its currently open tabs?

I think (at least for Firefox) there must be a place where open tabs are
stored, because when the machine crashes, Firefox can recover the last session
automatically. The other idea I had is the history: Shouldn't all tabs be
present in the history, too? OK, if the browser is hanging, it might not help.
Did you try to open a terminal for the same DVM (via cubes manager on the VM)?
If so, you could try to find out what's going on with the browser (like:
"free", "top", etc.). My guess is lack of memory.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/qubes-users/e4ab08ee-0ed4-4089-9427-86850a3

> 5c9ea%40googlegroups.com.

list...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 9:30:14 AM5/6/20
to qubes-users
Yes you are right, sorry, it's been a long time since I posted here, but, in my defense, by default the cursor is put at the top, not the bottom of the screen. :)

list...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 9:41:50 AM5/6/20
to qubes-users
I don't use these tabs frequently but would like to keep them in a folder in the bookmarks.
I can not do anything with the browser, the tabs lighten up when I hover over them, also the menu, but clicking the mouse doesn't do anything, so selecting tabs and make them favorites won't work.
I also increased the Max Memory from 4 to 5 GB but that didn't work either. I was surprised I could do that dynamically by the way.
Anyway, thanks for your advise.

list...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 9:53:05 AM5/6/20
to qubes-users

$ qvm-run -p disp2622 'free'
gives me  at least twice as much memory available as there is in use, so that must not be the problem.

$ qvm-run -p disp2622 'top'
gives:
TERM environment variable not set.

How do I 'open' a terminal in the disp VM?

Thanks

list...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 10:12:44 AM5/6/20
to qubes-users
Maybe a silly question, how do I start a terminal in the VM from within dom0?

Thanks

list...@gmail.com

May 6, 2020, 10:16:34 AM5/6/20
to qubes-users

On Monday, May 4, 2020 at 11:32:43 AM UTC, unman wrote:
I have looked in ~/.tb/tor-browser/Browser/TorBrowser/data/Browser/profile.default/
but there is no session-store, there is however a places.sqlite[-shm|-wal]
could that be something? Then there is sessionCheckpoints.json...
$ qvm-run -p disp2622 'find /home/user/ -iname session-store*'
also doesn't return anything so there probably won't be any.