Please help with custom template build

Krišjānis Gross

Jan 23, 2018, 12:36:00 PM1/23/18
to qubes-users
Hi,

I am trying to build a custom installation .iso. I have an issue that I have purchased a new set of hardware that does not work with the current builds of qubes. I am trying to build the most updated version with hope that it could work.

I am running a Fedora linux and trying to build with these instructions: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/

I use the ./setup to create the installation configuration.

make install-deps goes fine.
make get-sources goes smooth as well

but I get an error when running the mage qubes command.
Here is what I get:

[krish@localhost qubes-builder]$ make qubes
Currently installed dependencies:
git-2.14.3-2.fc27.x86_64
rpmdevtools-8.10-3.fc27.noarch
rpm-build-4.14.0-2.fc27.x86_64
createrepo-0.10.3-12.fc27.noarch
debootstrap-1.0.92-1.fc27.noarch
dpkg-dev-1.18.24-3.fc27.noarch
python2-sh-1.12.14-2.fc27.noarch
dialog-1.3-10.20170509.fc27.x86_64
dpkg-dev-1.18.24-3.fc27.noarch
debootstrap-1.0.92-1.fc27.noarch
PyYAML-3.12-5.fc27.x86_64
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/krish/qubes-builder'
-> Preparing fc25 build environment
-> Initializing RPM database...
-> Retreiving core RPM packages...
-> Verifying signatures...
Filename: /home/krish/qubes-builder/cache/fc25/base_rpms/acl-2.2.52-13.fc25.x86_64.rpm is not signed. Exiting!
make[1]: *** [/home/krish/qubes-builder/qubes-src/builder-fedora/Makefile.fedora:86: /home/krish/qubes-builder/chroot-fc25/home/user/.prepared_base] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/krish/qubes-builder'
make: *** [Makefile:224: vmm-xen-dom0] Error 1

Does anyone has an idea of what I do wrong or how to resolve this?
I have attached the builder.conf file that I have.

builder.conf

donoban

Jan 23, 2018, 3:32:10 PM1/23/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/23/2018 06:35 PM, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
> Here is what I get:
> -> Retreiving core RPM packages...
> -> Verifying signatures...
> Filename: /home/krish/qubes-builder/cache/fc25/base_rpms/acl-2.2.52-13.fc25.x86_64.rpm is not signed. Exiting!

Maybe the downloaded rpm is wrong? Did you try to remove it from cache
and force it to download again?

signature.asc

awokd

Jan 23, 2018, 7:05:46 PM1/23/18
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Also, did you download the keys and mark as trusted, or did .setup do it
for you? See the first few steps here:
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/

There's a rumor rc4 may be out soon.

awokd

Jan 23, 2018, 7:05:46 PM1/23/18
to donoban, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Krišjānis Gross

Jan 24, 2018, 2:46:53 AM1/24/18
to qubes-users
> Maybe the downloaded rpm is wrong? Did you try to remove it from cache
and force it to download again?

Yes, I tried the whole process multiple times.
- Tried cleaning the qubes-builder/cache folder.
- Tried other versions of fedora and got similar error. e.g. starting with /cache/fc23

> Also, did you download the keys and mark as trusted, or did .setup do it
> for you? See the first few steps here:
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/
>
> There's a rumor rc4 may be out soon.

Yes, I did that and I think that I did it correctly. Could post more details if you think this could be the root cause.

looking forward for the RC4 :)

awokd

Jan 24, 2018, 4:15:21 AM1/24/18
to "Krišjānis Gross", qubes-users
On Wed, January 24, 2018 7:46 am, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 17:36:00 UTC, Krišjānis Gross wrote:

>> I am running a Fedora linux and trying to build with these
>> instructions: https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/
>>

>> I use the ./setup to create the installation configuration.
>
> Yes, I did that and I think that I did it correctly. Could post more
> details if you think this could be the root cause.

Haha sorry, didn't see you were already using the same link I replied with
last time.

Maybe confirm you have the master signing key as trusted? Note the
.trustdb the builder uses isn't in the default location. Otherwise, it
might just be a Fedora glitch on the mirror you hit, try another?

a...@it-minds.dk

Jan 24, 2018, 4:42:58 AM1/24/18
to qubes-users
I have also had multiple issues with this (I started out with Qubes 3.2), and eventually gave up.

When I came back to Qubes 4 RC3 I found this:

And the steps there worked for me.

Hope this helps.

Krišjānis Gross

Jan 24, 2018, 2:42:21 PM1/24/18
to qubes-users
Thank You for help, awokd!

> Maybe confirm you have the master signing key as trusted?
Seems to be in place see below:

[krish@localhost qubes-builder]$ gpg --edit-key 0x36879494
gpg (GnuPG) 1.4.22; Copyright (C) 2015 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

pub 4096R/36879494 created: 2010-04-01 expires: never usage: SC
trust: ultimate validity: ultimate
[ultimate] (1). Qubes Master Signing Key

gpg> fpr
pub 4096R/36879494 2010-04-01 Qubes Master Signing Key
Primary key fingerprint: 427F 11FD 0FAA 4B08 0123 F01C DDFA 1A3E 3687 9494

> Note the .trustdb the builder uses isn't in the default location.

I think that I did the steps described in manual to copy the .trustdb:

# Assuming qubes-builder is in your home directory
cp .gnupg/pubring.gpg qubes-builder/keyrings/git/
cp .gnupg/trustdb.gpg qubes-builder/keyrings/git/

> Otherwise, it might just be a Fedora glitch on the mirror you hit, try another?

How can I do that?

>I have also had multiple issues with this (I started out with Qubes 3.2), and > eventually gave up.
>
> When I came back to Qubes 4 RC3 I found this:
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3185
>
> And the steps there worked for me.
>
> Hope this helps.

Thank You for the advice! Seems a bit beyond my understanding and knowledge but will give it a try.

awokd

Jan 25, 2018, 4:46:28 AM1/25/18
On Wed, January 24, 2018 7:42 pm, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
> On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 19:36:00 UTC+2, Krišjānis Gross wrote:

>> -> Verifying signatures...
>> Filename:
>> /home/krish/qubes-builder/cache/fc25/base_rpms/acl-2.2.52-13.fc25.x86_6
>> 4.rpm is not signed. Exiting!

Just noticed you are using F27 for your build environment. Can you try F25?

Krišjānis Gross

Jan 25, 2018, 2:24:51 PM1/25/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 17:36:00 UTC, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
Like in installing Fedora 25 on the system and perform the build procedure on that?
Will give it a try. Thank You for advice!

Krišjānis Gross

Feb 2, 2018, 7:42:26 AM2/2/18
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, 23 January 2018 17:36:00 UTC, Krišjānis Gross wrote:
Tried to build on Fedora 25 but did not succeed. Did not get the same issue but there was something else that did not work.
Kind of gave up trying because of Qubes 4 RC4 release.
thank You to everyone for the help!

Tim W

Feb 4, 2018, 8:45:39 PM2/4/18
to qubes-users
Could you type out each command you do as well as your choices inside the setup script.

I had issues with this and then with a few recommendation by Awokd I have built a standard 4.0rd4 and one with both minimal settups without errors. But you have to do each thing in specific order.

I would recommend deleting the qubes-builder directory and start fresh.

Got make sure you get the gpp sig and set the trust properly and move them into the qubes-builder directory properly as well.

I am currently trying to go thru the various choices of templates to see what works and what fails. Right now I have added Centos standard into this build.

Make sure you have plenty of HD space as it can take over 60 gigs for even a basic build