Duplicate MAC address error

Kushal Das

Dec 19, 2017, 3:39:37 AM12/19/17
to qubes-users
Hi,

My Qubes 4.0rc3 (updated) is showing error for sys-net vm saying it
has a duplicate mac address for the NIC. This error message came
before (on the fresh install), and was fixed in a few reboots. But,
now I could not make it work for the last few days :(

Any tips how to solve this? I could not find any duplicate NIC value
in the /var/lib/qubes/qubes.xml file.

Kushal
--
Staff, Freedom of the Press Foundation
CPython Core Developer

Roy Bernat

Dec 19, 2017, 9:59:55 AM12/19/17
to qubes-users

Its happen to me also .

you should restart the computer and try again .

if not copy the appvm .

Roy

Kushal Das

Dec 19, 2017, 10:21:50 AM12/19/17
to Roy Bernat, qubes-users
On Tue, Dec 19, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Roy Bernat <royb...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Its happen to me also .
>
> you should restart the computer and try again .
>
> if not copy the appvm .
I kept rebooting from last Thursday :) I finaly solved the issue by
recreating the vm. I wrote
a post about the same at [1]. I hope this will help someone in future.

[1] https://kushaldas.in/posts/duplicate-mac-address-error-in-qubes-vms.html

cooloutac

Dec 19, 2017, 1:56:20 PM12/19/17
to qubes-users

boom, was just aobut to suggest this. its the beauty of qubes. do it for any anomaly. when in doubt delete it and recreate it in seconds. its the most suspect vm of them all.

Message has been deleted

Reynir Björnsson

Dec 22, 2017, 5:34:41 AM12/22/17
to qubes-users
Hi,

It may be a coincidence, but when it happened to me I got sys-net running by shutting down sys-whonix first. I've since disabled sys-whonix and haven't had the issue again, although I haven't been rebooting much since.

- Reynir

Holger Levsen

Dec 22, 2017, 5:49:06 AM12/22/17
to qubes-users
On Fri, Dec 22, 2017 at 02:34:41AM -0800, Reynir Björnsson wrote:
> It may be a coincidence, but when it happened to me I got sys-net running by shutting down sys-whonix first. I've since disabled sys-whonix and haven't had the issue again, although I haven't been rebooting much since.

I believe it's coincidence. I've had this several times, where I couldnt
restart sys-net (after it crashed) and then after shutting down some
random VMs I could start sys-net again...

:/

--
cheers,
Holger

Kushal Das

Dec 24, 2017, 3:24:31 AM12/24/17
to qubes-users
On Friday sys-firewall showed the same error when I tried to restart
the vm. After that I tried to restart the system, and now it gets
stuck in the boot screen trying to start sys-firewall :(
Any tips on how to get out of this mess?

cooloutac

Dec 26, 2017, 9:48:33 AM12/26/17
to qubes-users

wonder if your system runs low on ram? Could also try using system without iommu and see if it still happens.

Kushal Das

Dec 26, 2017, 10:30:45 AM12/26/17
to cooloutac, qubes-users
On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM, cooloutac <raah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> wonder if your system runs low on ram? Could also try using system without iommu and see if it still happens.

I have 32GB here on a T470. I hope that is okay :)

qubes-us...@ralphdouglass.com

Dec 31, 2017, 10:13:49 AM12/31/17
to qubes-users
On Tuesday, December 26, 2017 at 10:30:45 AM UTC-5, Kushal Das wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 26, 2017 at 8:18 PM, cooloutac wrote:
> >
> > wonder if your system runs low on ram? Could also try using system without iommu and see if it still happens.
> >
> I have 32GB here on a T470. I hope that is okay :)
>
> Kushal
> --
> Staff, Freedom of the Press Foundation
> CPython Core Developer
> Director, Python Software Foundation
> https://kushaldas.in

I can recreate this error message consistently while running the latest R4 rc3.

Inside of sys-net, just shut down the vm from the inside (e.g. sudo reboot)

Afterwards sys-net fails to start:

$ qvm-start sys-net
Start failed: invalid argument: network device with mac XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX already exists

To get back in a good state without rebooting the entire machine, I have to shut down (or kill) all dependent vms (AppVMs talking to my firewall-vm and my firewall vm). Then I can start sys-net again, followed by my firewall vm, followed by my regular app vms.

I've managed to trigger this on two Lenovo laptops and one Dell laptop so far, all of which are running R4rc3.

I'm pretty new to QubesOS and haven't figured out how to dig through the innards well enough yet to find anything useful.

cooloutac

Jan 2, 2018, 2:06:06 PM1/2/18
to qubes-users

afaik, You can't shut down sys-net if other vms using it are running.

Ralph Douglass

Jan 2, 2018, 3:00:47 PM1/2/18
to cooloutac, qubes-users
Correct.  You need to shut down or kill all dependent vms (as mentioned in my email already).  It's still better than rebooting one's entire machine, but obviously not ideal.

Unman

Jan 2, 2018, 5:36:33 PM1/2/18
to Ralph Douglass, cooloutac, qubes-users
The point is that you shouldn't be bringing down a qube when it has other
qubes using it as a netvm.
Sometimes (and I stress sometimes) you can recover from this by
changing the netvm of child qubes , restarting sys-net and then
reattaching the children.

If you have sys-firewall, then changing netvms of children to
something else, killing sys-firewall, restarting sys-net, restarting
sys-firewall and then reattaching children will work.
Somewhat better than shutting down all dependent qubes.

unman

cooloutac

Jan 5, 2018, 3:01:30 PM1/5/18
to qubes-users

Yes if you have some programs and data open to continue working on them.

Otherwise if rather just shutting down the vms, There is a script someone made in the community to shut down all vms with one command. Its on forums somewhere.

Nik H

Jan 7, 2018, 7:28:13 AM1/7/18
to qubes-users
I had the same thing happen; I shut down whonix, that didn't work. Then I also shut down sys-firewall; then I could once again start sys-net. Thanks for the tip!