USB Device attach failed: Attach timeout,

haaber

Apr 24, 2020, 11:55:09 AM4/24/20
to qubes-users
Here is my problem: I attach a Philips USB camera, and try to use it. I
get the error (unimportant whether in dom0 with qvm-usb attach or via
usb widget).

Device attach failed: Attach timeout, check kernel log for details. VM:
"video-conference" File: "/usr/lib/qubes/usb-import" Version Control:
https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-app-linux-usb-proxy/blob/master/src/usb-import

The webcam is ~10y old .. any hints where this may come from / how to
get it working? Cheers, B.

Mike Keehan

Apr 24, 2020, 1:30:31 PM4/24/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

haaber

Apr 24, 2020, 5:02:37 PM4/24/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Mike. The thread you point to, gives however, little information
on my problem: the described procedure (first start call, then connect)
does indeed work for jitsi and the laptop built-in camera (sometimes
even requiring a sys-usb reboot between two sessions), but the procedure
does not work for my external USB webcam. I planned to "abuse" from
this for its small size to have a look into some very narrow spaces in
my house, behind a drywall:).
Anyways, this timeout message is new to me and does not seem to have an
answer. By the way: the webcam runs smoothly in a std non-qubes debian
10. By which I conclude that it is not the camera itself that is buggy.
Rather something qubes-specific seems to mess. Cheers, Bernhard

Mike Keehan

Apr 24, 2020, 5:19:00 PM4/24/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
There is a known problem with Linux usbip not handling reset properly I
believe. I don't think it's a Qubes problem.

I use a usb connected camera, and that thread helped me get it working
with some programs. But I still have to disconnect and reconnect the
camera to make a second video connection. Sometimes it takes a
number of disconnects, pauses and reconnects before it works. Along
with the occasional "attach timeout" problems from qubes. And some
programs just don't work no matter what I try.

Mike.

haaber

Apr 25, 2020, 6:56:46 AM4/25/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 4/24/20 11:18 PM, Mike Keehan wrote:

>> <--snip-->
>> Rather something qubes-specific seems to mess.          Cheers, Bernhard
>>

> There is a known problem with Linux usbip not handling reset properly I
> believe.  I don't think it's a Qubes problem.
>
> I use a usb connected camera, and that thread helped me get it working
> with some programs.  But I still have to disconnect and reconnect the
> camera to make a second video connection.  Sometimes it takes a
> number of disconnects, pauses and reconnects before it works.  Along
> with the occasional "attach timeout" problems from qubes.  And some
> programs just don't work no matter what I try.

Got it working by putting the video-conference VM to HVM. Maybe that
helps in your case as well? Cheers,

Mike Keehan

May 1, 2020, 7:16:43 AM5/1/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it, but it didn't help for my
particular case. No matter, detaching and re-attaching both physically
and qubes-vm wise works well enough for me:)

Mike.