Apt attempting to remove packages in whonix-gw

jkitt

Jun 13, 2016, 10:56:13 AM6/13/16
to qubes-users
I'm trying to remove some applications that I don't need (like VLC).

The problem is that apt attempts to remove a number of packages that I'm not sure if i need or not - some of the whonix-gw/qubes specific packages seem reasonably important.

1. Are these packages needed? What are the for - the initial install?

2. Also would it be safe to autoremove? Given the huge list of packages in the autoremove section.

The last time i done autoremove the whonix-gw complained that the "qubes-whonix-gateway" package was missing.

Thanks.

apt-get.out

entr0py

Jun 13, 2016, 1:07:40 PM6/13/16
to jkitt, qubes-users
entr0py:
> jkitt:
> Some things to consider:
>
> * Always experiment on Cloned VMs, preferably off-line. For Whonix-GW, make sure no VMs are associated with it - no child VMs (if template), no upstream VMs (if proxyVM).
>
> * Relevant documentation (including links to package lists): https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Whonix_Debian_Packages#Why_is_package_X_installed.3F
>
> * Figure it out yourself using apt-cache rdepends. Try `sudo apt-cache --recursive rdepends vlc` and you'll see just how many packages rely on vlc at some level. Doesn't necessarily mean it can't be removed but you'll have broken dependencies unless everything in that list is removed also.
>
> * Feel free to ask here: https://forums.whonix.org/t/more-unwanted-packages/2155 (I would answer here but I don't know.)

Should have mentioned in last post:
use the `--installed` option to only see packages installed on your system so:
`sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends vlc`
`sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends phonon-backend-vlc`
`sudo apt-cache --installed rdepends phonon`
uh-oh...

On bare-metal, Whonix Gateway can be built as `Terminal-Only`, but I don't know if that's possible with Qubes. Some GUI needs to be present to communicate with dom0 WM. Or maybe not if `xl console` is used exclusively?

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!