Install VPN in anon-whonix

asdf...@sigaint.org

Jun 8, 2016, 4:15:37 PM6/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello
I read the guide on whonix site about how setup a VPN in workstation but
it is old and my VPN is a little different, it has a GUI interface but
also a setup for Open VPN (to work i have to use GUI). Do I setup like a
normal VPN in debian (network connection, import configuration,
certificate etc...) and change firewall?

Thank you

Andrew David Wong

Jun 8, 2016, 6:16:35 PM6/8/16
to asdf...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Chris Laprise

Jun 8, 2016, 10:58:37 PM6/8/16
to asdf...@sigaint.org, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Mixing a VPN in the same VM as other tunnels or proxies is a more
complex affair. Qubes proxy VMs allow us to do this kind of thing more
cleanly.

So I recommend using a debian proxy VM. The doc Andrew linked to
contains a firewall script I created with Whonix (and other apps) in
mind. Its designed to fail closed (block traffic) if openvpn stops
working, and to stop all leaks. The only thing in or out is tunneled
traffic and related ICMP. Its designed for simple VPNs that tunnel all
traffic upstream (i.e. no special subnet selections), so it'll work with
most services.

There is a fancier version that creates systemd service and has a more
explicit firewall setup, though its about the same protection:
https://github.com/ttasket/Qubes-vpn-support

What's more, you don't have to alter any template beyond installing
openvpn to get this working.

OTOH, if you're looking for a solution for Network Manager, the doc
shows you how but its without a firewall. I am looking into a way to
make the firewall script work with NM.

Chris

Chris Laprise

Jun 9, 2016, 2:50:38 PM6/9/16
to asdf...@sigaint.org, qubes-users
> Hello
> I have a problem when run this command
> sudo chown -R root:root openvpn (no directory)

The contents of the openvpn/ dir need to be transferred to /rw/config/
including the openvpn/ dir itself.

Chris

Chris Laprise

Jun 9, 2016, 2:53:44 PM6/9/16

On 06/09/2016 08:23 AM, asdf...@sigaint.org wrote:
> Hello
> I use network-manager to connect to a vpn, in the case that a vpn
> disconnect does internet connection stop?
>
> Thank you

If you don't create a /rw/config/qubes-firewall-user-script to handle
that condition, the connection will continue.

Chris

Patrick Schleizer

Jun 9, 2016, 4:54:11 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Andrew David Wong:
> On 2016-06-08 13:15, asdf...@sigaint.org wrote:
>> Hello I read the guide on whonix site about how setup a VPN in
>> workstation but it is old and my VPN is a little different, it has
>> a GUI interface but also a setup for Open VPN (to work i have to
>> use GUI). Do I setup like a normal VPN in debian (network
>> connection, import configuration, certificate etc...) and change
>> firewall?
>
>> Thank you
>

> Take a look at our VPN documentation if you haven't already. It was
> recently updated:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/

VPN in Whonix-Gateway results in:
- a) Connecting to a VPN before Tor
- a) User -> proxy/VPN/SSH -> Tor -> Internet

VPN in Whonix-Workstation results in:
- b) Connecting to Tor before a VPN
- b) User -> Tor -> proxy/VPN/SSH -> Internet

These use cases are very different.

See also:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Introduction

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vpn/ is closer to:
- a) Connecting to a VPN before Tor
- a) User -> proxy/VPN/SSH -> Tor -> Internet

It would be interesting to wretch a Qubes VPN ProxyVM between
Whonix-Workstation and Whonix-Gateway. I.e. anon-whonix -> sys-vpn ->
sys-whonix. Which would then result in b).

You might still need bits from chapter "Prevent Bypassing the Tunnel-Link"

https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN#Prevent_Bypassing_the_Tunnel-Link

Although it would not be for purposes of "Prevent Bypassing the
Tunnel-Link", but for connectivity. The following from that chapter
would still be required:

- deactivate uwt wrappers
- Tor Browser Remove Proxy Settings
- Deactivate Misc Proxy Settings

So new documentation would be required for this. A lot stuff could be
re-used since all of the three above are wiki templates.

Anyone interested in this? Up to try this, document this, etc.?

Cheers,
Patrick

Andrew David Wong

Jun 11, 2016, 5:40:31 PM6/11/16
to Patrick Schleizer, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Patrick Schleizer

Jun 15, 2016, 2:17:00 PM6/15/16
to Andrew David Wong, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Andrew David Wong:
> On 2016-06-09 13:54, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
>
>> [...]
>
>> So new documentation would be required for this. A lot stuff could
>> be re-used since all of the three above are wiki templates.
>
>> Anyone interested in this? Up to try this, document this, etc.?
>
>> Cheers, Patrick
>

> Tracking and labeling as "help wanted," in case anyone is ever
> interested:
>
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/2060

This is now documented here:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Tunnels/Connecting_to_Tor_before_a_VPN#Separate_VPN-Gateway