If using the same Whonix GW, does all Wonix WS get the same "identity"?

Albin Otterhäll

Jun 8, 2016, 3:15:25 AM6/8/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
I'm assuming that if you connect to Tor using the same Whonix gateway
(e.g. "sys-whonix"), you get the same "identity" (IP, etc.) on both your
workstations. Is this correct?

Andrew David Wong

Jun 8, 2016, 11:08:39 AM6/8/16
to Albin Otterhäll, qubes...@googlegroups.com

entr0py

Jun 8, 2016, 3:01:04 PM6/8/16
to Andrew David Wong, Albin Otterhäll, qubes...@googlegroups.com
Andrew David Wong:
> On 2016-06-08 00:14, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
>> I'm assuming that if you connect to Tor using the same Whonix
>> gateway (e.g. "sys-whonix"), you get the same "identity" (IP, etc.)
>> on both your workstations. Is this correct?
>

> Not entirely. By default, stream isolation applies to different
> workstations and to any supported apps in those workstations. This
> means that every VM connected to sys-whonix will (and every supported
> app in those VMs) will use a different circuit through the Tor
> network, hence a different exit node, hence have a different IP address.
>
> However, there are still side-channel attacks that can be used to
> correlate multiple workstations running on the same host (stressing
> hardware and observing the effects in all workstations, clock skew,
> network timings, etc.).
>
> Details:
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Multiple_Whonix-Workstations
> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stream_Isolation

What Andrew said. Some nitpicking:

There is no guarantee that you will have a different exit node (or even a different circuit). It's random so you might wind up with the same but not intentionally.

Also, Tor Browser has stream isolation features of its own, such as separate circuits per tab and new circuits after a set time interval.

Finally, non-stream-isolated (meaning non-tor-proxified) apps in the *same* workstation will share the same circuit since they will route through Whonix-Gateway's Transparent Proxy Port (TransPort). The TransPort can be disabled to prevent this. (Instructions in Andrew's links).

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!

Andrew David Wong

Jun 8, 2016, 4:46:32 PM6/8/16
to entr0py, Albin Otterhäll, qubes...@googlegroups.com

On 2016-06-08 11:55, entr0py wrote:
> Andrew David Wong:
>> On 2016-06-08 00:14, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
>>> I'm assuming that if you connect to Tor using the same Whonix
>>> gateway (e.g. "sys-whonix"), you get the same "identity" (IP,
>>> etc.) on both your workstations. Is this correct?
>>

>> Not entirely. By default, stream isolation applies to different
>> workstations and to any supported apps in those workstations.
>> This means that every VM connected to sys-whonix will (and every
>> supported app in those VMs) will use a different circuit through
>> the Tor network, hence a different exit node, hence have a
>> different IP address.
>>
>> However, there are still side-channel attacks that can be used to
>> correlate multiple workstations running on the same host
>> (stressing hardware and observing the effects in all
>> workstations, clock skew, network timings, etc.).
>>
>> Details: https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Multiple_Whonix-Workstations
>> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stream_Isolation
>>

> What Andrew said. Some nitpicking:
>
> There is no guarantee that you will have a different exit node (or
> even a different circuit). It's random so you might wind up with
> the same but not intentionally.

Thanks for clarifying that. I had guessed that it was random and thus
the same exit node or even circuit could be selected by coincidence,
but wasn't sure. IIUC, this should be pretty unlikely in the case of
exit nodes, since there are many, and nigh-improbable in the case of
circuits, since there are vastly more possible combinations of nodes,
even taking into account that many nodes can only occupy certain
positions in the circuit (guard, relay, exit).

> Also, Tor Browser has stream isolation features of its own, such
> as separate circuits per tab and new circuits after a set time
> interval.
>
> Finally, non-stream-isolated (meaning non-tor-proxified) apps in
> the *same* workstation will share the same circuit since they will
> route through Whonix-Gateway's Transparent Proxy Port (TransPort).
> The TransPort can be disabled to prevent this. (Instructions in
> Andrew's links).

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

Patrick Schleizer

Jun 9, 2016, 4:14:36 PM6/9/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
entr0py:
> Andrew David Wong:
>> On 2016-06-08 00:14, Albin Otterhäll wrote:
>>> I'm assuming that if you connect to Tor using the same Whonix
>>> gateway (e.g. "sys-whonix"), you get the same "identity" (IP, etc.)
>>> on both your workstations. Is this correct?
>>

>> Not entirely. By default, stream isolation applies to different
>> workstations and to any supported apps in those workstations. This
>> means that every VM connected to sys-whonix will (and every supported
>> app in those VMs) will use a different circuit through the Tor
>> network, hence a different exit node, hence have a different IP address.
>>
>> However, there are still side-channel attacks that can be used to
>> correlate multiple workstations running on the same host (stressing
>> hardware and observing the effects in all workstations, clock skew,
>> network timings, etc.).
>>
>> Details:
>> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Multiple_Whonix-Workstations
>> https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Stream_Isolation
>>

> What Andrew said. Some nitpicking:
>
> There is no guarantee that you will have a different exit node (or even a different circuit). It's random so you might wind up with the same but not intentionally.

Yes, stream isolation by Tor default just isolated streams, not
necessarily assigns a different Tor exit.

Cheers,
Patrick