Qubes VM Manager - small inconveniences

Marc de Bruin

May 15, 2016, 6:28:36 AM5/15/16
to qubes-users
Lo,

Just wanted to share some small inconveniences I experience while using
R3.1 and the Qubes VM Manager.
1. When updating a template through the Qubes VM Manager, when the
templates shows that it should/could/must be updated, by using "Update
VM", it always asks to start the template. I think that question is
redundant, I already told so by saying "Update VM", my intentions are
clear. Please start immediately, or rename the action "Update VM" to
"Start VM (if needed) and update".
2. It would be nice if the Qubes VM Manager would have a "restart
domain" button, next to the "start", "pause" and "stop" buttons. This
would be beneficial when restarting an AppVM which template just got
updated (see 1).
3. The order of actions in the top toolbar resembles the order of
actions when right-clicking an entry. The "attach/detach block device"
is however missing from the toolbar. Would be nice to insert that
between the "a"-key and the microphone somehow.
4. It would be nice to have an entry react on a "double-click" action,
such as, open the VM settings belonging to that entry. I find myself
constantly double-clicking, nothing happened.

Nothing to worry about in the short term! :-)

Greetz,
Marc.

Andrew David Wong

May 15, 2016, 6:40:10 AM5/15/16
to Marc de Bruin, qubes-users

Drew White

Jun 15, 2016, 1:18:27 AM6/15/16
to qubes-users, marc.l....@gmail.com

On Sunday, 15 May 2016 20:40:10 UTC+10, Andrew David Wong wrote:
Thanks for the feedback! We're currently working on revamping Qubes
Manager to improve the user experience:

I've added a link to your message.

raah...@gmail.com

Jun 17, 2016, 9:23:28 PM6/17/16
to qubes-users, marc.l....@gmail.com

haha Drew. I agree though :) That looks too confusing and would require too much clicking.

I use the qubes manager for everything and never use a terminal. Only things I would like to see added. is a way to shutdown all vms with one click. A restart button for vms. and a way to check and update all templates with one click (while still showing terminal messages for them on screen).

In other words I really wouldn't like to see too much changed to qubes manager. Just some things to require less clicking. (which would also prevent accidental errors in some cases) For example it is really nice after shutting down all vms. To just launch an app from start menu, and have the required network and proxy vms it requires automatically start first. This avoids the possibility of starting firewall vm accidentally before sys-net gets connection which can cause errors. Or similar issue for whonix proxy before firewall vm, or appvm too soon before proxy accidentally etc...

Thats the other thing I would like to keep as is, the ability to see all notifications and vms on a single screen. Which i keep open t all times for those reasons. SO i can see if a yellow triangle appears, and update available etc...

But other then some minor things, I feel that qubes manager is great as is, even my computer illiterate family has no problems using it. I don't need it to look too pretty, and the less windows and less mouse clicks required the better imo.