safely remove yum from debian tempate?

Dave C

Jun 28, 2020, 5:23:39 PM6/28/20
to qubes-users
I'd like to

sudo apt remove yum

because the yum files in /etc/bash_completion.d/ break things for fossil (autocomplete appends a space instead of slash after directories when running fossil).

However, apt warns the following:

The following packages will be REMOVED:
  qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-vm-recommended yum yum-utils

A) Is it safe to remove qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates and qubes-vm-recommended from a debian template?

Also, apt tells me that autoremove would further remove quite a few packages, including several from qubes:

  qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root qubes-gpg-split
  qubes-img-converter qubes-input-proxy-sender qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector
  qubes-pdf-converter qubes-thunderbird qubes-usb-proxy

B) Is it safe to allow these to be autoremoved?

I'm guessing that it is ok to remove the former (A: yes) and not ok to remove the latter (B: no).

I've noticed that installing qubes-vm-recommended brings yum and yum-utils along with it.  This leaves me wondering, is there a way to uninstall yum on a debian template?

Thanks for any help.

David Hobach

Jun 29, 2020, 3:00:30 AM6/29/20
to Dave C, qubes-users
On 6/28/20 11:23 PM, Dave C wrote:
> I'd like to
>
> sudo apt remove yum
>
> because the yum files in /etc/bash_completion.d/ break things for fossil
> (autocomplete appends a space instead of slash after directories when
> running fossil).
>
> However, apt warns the following:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-vm-recommended yum yum-utils

yum is installed for dom0 updates:
If you use your debian template as netVM, yum will be used to download
updates for dom0 via the netVM.

So removing any of these packages is certainly not recommended as it may
break expected base Qubes OS functionality.

Btw, removing thunderbird currently also removes `qubes-vm-recommended`
in debian templates, which breaks the same Qubes functionality and is
clearly a bug.

Frédéric Pierret

Jun 29, 2020, 6:50:19 AM6/29/20
to Dave C, qubes-users

On 2020-06-28 23:23, Dave C wrote:
> I'd like to
>

> sudo apt remove yum
> |

> because the yum files in /etc/bash_completion.d/ break things for fossil (autocomplete appends a space instead of slash after directories when running fossil).
>
> However, apt warns the following:
>

> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-vm-recommended yum yum-utils
>

> A) Is it safe to remove qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates and qubes-vm-recommended from a debian template?
>
> Also, apt tells me that autoremove would further remove quite a few packages, including several from qubes:
>

>   qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root qubes-gpg-split
>   qubes-img-converter qubes-input-proxy-sender qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector
>   qubes-pdf-converter qubes-thunderbird qubes-usb-proxy

When building normal template, we add a meta-package called qubes-vm-recommended which is responsible to pull above dependencies and notably qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates, which itself requires yum and yum-util. You can safely remove it if you don't use debian template as "UpdateVM" in Qubes global preferences.

> B) Is it safe to allow these to be autoremoved?
>
> I'm guessing that it is ok to remove the former (A: yes) and not ok to remove the latter (B: no).
>
> I've noticed that installing qubes-vm-recommended brings yum and yum-utils along with it.  This leaves me wondering, is there a way to uninstall yum on a debian template?
>
> Thanks for any help.

signature.asc

unman

Jun 29, 2020, 7:31:53 AM6/29/20
to qubes-users
On Mon, Jun 29, 2020 at 12:50:01PM +0200, Fr??d??ric Pierret wrote:

> On 2020-06-28 23:23, Dave C wrote:
> > I'd like to??
> >

> > sudo apt remove yum
> > |

> > because the yum files in /etc/bash_completion.d/ break things for fossil (autocomplete appends a space instead of slash after directories when running fossil).
> >
> > However, apt warns the following:
> >

> > The following packages will be REMOVED:
> > ?? qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-vm-recommended yum yum-utils
> >

> > A) Is it safe to remove qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates and qubes-vm-recommended from a debian template?
> >
> > Also, apt tells me that autoremove would further remove quite a few packages, including several from qubes:
> >

> > ?? qubes-core-agent-passwordless-root qubes-gpg-split
> > ?? qubes-img-converter qubes-input-proxy-sender qubes-mgmt-salt-vm-connector
> > ?? qubes-pdf-converter qubes-thunderbird qubes-usb-proxy
> > |

> When building normal template, we add a meta-package called qubes-vm-recommended which is responsible to pull above dependencies and notably qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates, which itself requires yum and yum-util. You can safely remove it if you don't use debian template as "UpdateVM" in Qubes global preferences.

As with any meta-package, you may want to keep some of the other
packages that it pulls in. This is not peculiar to Qubes.
You should mark these as "hold" or "instal" when removing the
meta-package, so that you remove only the target package.
A decent package manager like aptitude will make this easy.

If you need help with this, just ask.

unman

Qubes

Jun 29, 2020, 11:15:39 AM6/29/20
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 6/28/20 11:23 PM, Dave C wrote:
> I'd like to
>
> sudo apt remove yum
>
> However, apt warns the following:
>
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
> qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates qubes-vm-recommended yum yum-utils

Have a look here,
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/removing-templatevm-packages/, scroll down
to 'Removing Only Packages Not Needed for a Qubes TemplateVM'.

Dave C

Jun 29, 2020, 1:42:40 PM6/29/20
to qubes-users
That's very helpful, thanks.

The example on that page shows `sudo apt-mark manual qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates ...`

I'm leaving out qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates, because it requires yum and that's what I'm trying to uninstall.  Other than that, I'm following those instructions.

The template I'm doing this to is my development template.  I won't be using it for a netvm.

Rune Philosof

Jul 5, 2020, 5:16:01 PM7/5/20
to qubes-users
Hi

søndag den 28. juni 2020 kl. 23.23.39 UTC+2 skrev Dave C:
A) Is it safe to remove qubes-core-agent-dom0-updates and qubes-vm-recommended from a debian template?
I've noticed that installing qubes-vm-recommended brings yum and yum-utils along with it.  This leaves me wondering, is there a way to uninstall yum on a debian template?

I am having a related problem in my kali vm template. `yum` is not available in the debian testing (bullseye) and unstable (sid).
So I also have a bunch of qubes packages I have to mark as manually installed to not have them uninstalled.
I wonder what qubes will do in a debian11 vm template when yum is not available.

unman

Jul 6, 2020, 10:24:05 PM7/6/20
to qubes-users
On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 02:16:01PM -0700, Rune Philosof wrote:
> Hi
Indeed, yum/dnf are not available in Debian 11. But Frederic has
packaged a version for Qubes, and it may/should be incorporated in to
Debian. So all will be well.