After Windows 10 Install, Qubes don´t Start/Boot

darkstr...@gmail.com

Jul 28, 2017, 7:53:10 PM7/28/17
to qubes-users
First i installed Qubes OS than Win 10, now is the Problem that Win starts but i cant start qubes os. Can anyone help me please?

Franz

Jul 28, 2017, 10:40:47 PM7/28/17
to darkstr...@gmail.com, qubes-users
On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM, <darkstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
First i installed Qubes OS than Win 10, now is the Problem that Win starts but i cant start qubes os. Can anyone help me please?

Well I do not know win 10, but previous Windows versions did not have any respect what is already installed and delete everything. If you want dual boot you need to install windows first and Qubes second, so Qubes will install Grub that will perform the OS election.

qubester

Jul 29, 2017, 3:47:11 AM7/29/17
to qubes-users
On 07/28/2017 04:40 PM, Franz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM, <darkstranger80-Re5...@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> First i installed Qubes OS than Win 10, now is the Problem that Win starts
>> but i cant start qubes os. Can anyone help me please?
>>

> Well I do not know win 10, but previous Windows versions did not have any
> respect what is already installed and delete everything. If you want dual
> boot you need to install windows first and Qubes second, so Qubes will
> install Grub that will perform the OS election.

Did you see the dual boot section in the Docs, assuming that is what you
are saying is the problem???

Did you have windows set up to boot off UEFI or "legacy boot", if
UEFI, which may be likely, then my understanding is the dual boot
won't work, maybe windows10 needs to be booting in legacy mode, but
make an effort to read the Docs section, if you haven't, and maybe be
bit more effusive .....:P

Foppe de Haan

Jul 29, 2017, 3:50:44 AM7/29/17
to qubes-users, darkstr...@gmail.com
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 1:53:10 AM UTC+2, darkstr...@gmail.com wrote:
> First i installed Qubes OS than Win 10, now is the Problem that Win starts but i cant start qubes os. Can anyone help me please?

I've not had this problem myself, but if you google for grub bootloader windows guide, I'm sure you'll find other people who have had the same issue -- windows overwriting it, and their having to restore it.

David Hobach

Jul 29, 2017, 7:46:45 AM7/29/17
to Franz, darkstr...@gmail.com, qubes-users

On 07/29/2017 04:40 AM, Franz wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 8:53 PM, <darkstr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> First i installed Qubes OS than Win 10, now is the Problem that Win starts
>> but i cant start qubes os. Can anyone help me please?

Your Qubes partitions might still be there...
At least the boot loader was likely removed by Windows though, i.e.
you'll have to fix that using your favorite Live CD.
For fresh installs Franz's solution below would work best.

pencilfight

Jul 29, 2017, 9:00:22 AM7/29/17
to David Hobach, Franz, darkstr...@gmail.com, qubes-users
I can certainly relate to the headache from dealing with something similar.
I eventually came to the conclusion I had to decide which OS I truly was going to be using the most and did not dual boot.  This is great from a security standpoint and both OS's can be installed on a USB drive for the times you need your secondary OS. Hopefully HVM support for Win 10 comes soon. I'm quite impressed with my Win7 running in an HVM.  Best of luck!

29. Jul 2017 07:46 by tri...@hackingthe.net:

pencilfight

Jul 29, 2017, 10:30:07 AM7/29/17
to Dark Stranger, qubes-users

I stand corrected.  Windows 10 is mentioned in the documentation. I would give it a shot. Then no more dual booting and you can have an Win10 HVM template as well.

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/hvm

29. Jul 2017 09:37 by darkstr...@gmail.com:

Now i've installed qubes after, but now starts only qubes and i can't finde win 10