attach /dev/ttyUSB0 to some qube

haaber

Nov 28, 2019, 3:41:02 PM11/28/19
to qubes-users
Hi, I try to play with an programmable esp32 (pretty much like arduino,
but with wireless on board). The problem I have arises from sys-usb: the
usb widget spills out the odd error "QubesException - device attach
failed: no device info received. Connection faild. Check backend for
details". No clue what that means. In sys-usb this device appears as
/dev/ttyUSB0 . What do I have to do to attach that successfully to a
"esp-flashing qube" that I specially designed for that? Cheers! Bernhard

awokd

Nov 28, 2019, 5:10:43 PM11/28/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
haaber:
Try using qvm-usb instead. If that doesn't work, try using it directly
from sys-usb (which is not ideal).

--
- don't top post
- trim quoted reply to only relevant portions

haaber

Nov 30, 2019, 3:17:08 AM11/30/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
>> Hi, I try to play with an programmable esp32 (pretty much like arduino,
>> but with wireless on board). The problem I have arises from sys-usb: the
>> usb widget spills out the odd error "QubesException - device attach
>> failed: no device info received. Connection faild. Check backend for
>> details". No clue what that means. In sys-usb this device appears as
>> /dev/ttyUSB0 .  What do I have to do to attach that successfully to a
>> "esp-flashing qube" that I specially designed for that? Cheers! Bernhard
>
> Try using qvm-usb instead. If that doesn't work, try using it directly
> from sys-usb (which is not ideal).

Did not work either. The (maybe only) way I found so far is a "second
sys-usb" that I use for flashing, and that I power down afterwards. That
way, I isolate as much as I can in the moment. Cheers!

awokd

Nov 30, 2019, 10:05:17 AM11/30/19
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
E. Foster:

> How would you create a sys for USBs (files, apps, etc) ?
> sys USB mouse(if needed)? (currently works, but I don't see sys-usb in the
> drop down menu, but is it safe?)
> sys USB biometric reader? (potentially a way to speed up logins or
> temperature readings)

Check out https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/usb-qubes/. Be sure to backup
your data before trying it though, because you can sometimes get Qubes
into a configuration where it fails to recognize your USB keyboard.
Don't think there is a way to use it as a fingerprint, etc. reader for
logins.