multiple display support

Zrubi

Sep 13, 2016, 2:44:26 AM9/13/16
to qubes-users

Hi,

Multiple (2 external +the internal) display support seems to be broken
starting by Qubes 3.2rc*

At least for me it was working as expected up until I upgraded to
3.2rc3. The problems I have:

* display settings are not saved.
- under KDE it is saved somehow, but have to be disable composition
for stable operation. But still not always keep after reboot :(

- under XFCE even if I have the same session if I detach then attach
again my external screens connected as disabled. I have to be move
around and enable every time I connect them. In this way it is
completely useless and broken.

* panel are not sticked to my internal (primary) display.
Both KDE and XFCE behaving this way. My panel gets replaced to the
most left display instead of the primary one. Really annoying.

in previous releases I also had to disable composition (under KDE4) to
get bug free multidisplay support - but at least that was WORKING.

It is only me or a general problem?
is there ANY workaround for those problems?

Thanks.

- --
Zrubi

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 13, 2016, 4:02:41 AM9/13/16
to Zrubi, qubes-users

On Tue, Sep 13, 2016 at 08:44:21AM +0200, Zrubi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Multiple (2 external +the internal) display support seems to be broken
> starting by Qubes 3.2rc*
>
> At least for me it was working as expected up until I upgraded to
> 3.2rc3. The problems I have:
>
> * display settings are not saved.
> - under KDE it is saved somehow, but have to be disable composition
> for stable operation. But still not always keep after reboot :(
>
> - under XFCE even if I have the same session if I detach then attach
> again my external screens connected as disabled. I have to be move
> around and enable every time I connect them. In this way it is
> completely useless and broken.

Take a look at Setting -> Display -> Configure new displays when
connected. Not ideal, but somehow helps.

I'd very like to have X (server? window manager?) _not_ deconfigure my
external display when disconnected. It messes up all the carefully
placed windows.

It looks like a new X/Xfce "feature" :/

> * panel are not sticked to my internal (primary) display.
> Both KDE and XFCE behaving this way. My panel gets replaced to the
> most left display instead of the primary one. Really annoying.

Can you elaborate? You have multiple panels, one for each display and
those are mixed up, right? I haven't seen such problem, because I have
only one panel, on primary display.

> in previous releases I also had to disable composition (under KDE4) to
> get bug free multidisplay support - but at least that was WORKING.
>

> It is only me or a general problem?
> is there ANY workaround for those problems?

I have this:
$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-disable-hotplug.conf
Section "Device"
Identifier "intel"
Driver "intel"
Option "HotPlug" "false"
EndSection

It helps somehow, but still will detect that external display gets
disconnected when explicitly asked (`xrandr`). With all its
consequences...

- --
Best Regards,
Marek Marczykowski-Górecki
Invisible Things Lab
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Zrubi

Sep 13, 2016, 4:19:37 AM9/13/16
to Marek Marczykowski-Górecki, Zrubi, qubes-users

On 09/13/2016 10:02 AM, Marek Marczykowski-Górecki wrote:

>> * panel are not sticked to my internal (primary) display. Both
>> KDE and XFCE behaving this way. My panel gets replaced to the
>> most left display instead of the primary one. Really annoying.
>
> Can you elaborate? You have multiple panels, one for each display
> and those are mixed up, right? I haven't seen such problem,
> because I have only one panel, on primary display.

No.

I have only one panel. And wanted to stick it on my primary display.
But whenever I attach an external screen that single panel moves to
the most left one instead of the primary (internal laptop screen)

But because of the other (deconfigure) bug/feature i can't even use
Xfce without major headache.

BTW I'm using a T450 with a docking station. It has 2 attached
external display. So every time I have to remove my laptop from the
docking station I lost my screen settings what i really can't tolerate
at work.

(I was using the same setup with a Dell 6430 with Qubes 2.0 then 3.1
before - without such problems)

- --
Zrubi

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Sep 13, 2016, 4:33:00 AM9/13/16
to Zrubi, qubes-users

Achim Patzner

Sep 13, 2016, 4:44:33 AM9/13/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Am 13.09.2016 um 08:44 schrieb Zrubi:

> It is only me or a general problem?
> is there ANY workaround for those problems?

This seems to be a general problem coming from the maximally stupid idea
of having multiple "crt"s making up one display (so a projector could
overlap a part of a screen" instead of doing it as X11 originally
intended and map one output device/connector to one display. My
workaround on other systems was assigning each of my output devices to
separate displays (after all that's what the y in host:x.y was invented
for) but I didn't spend the time on that for Qubes on my current machine
yet.

Achim

Zrubi

Sep 14, 2016, 9:03:35 AM9/14/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 09/13/2016 08:44 AM, Zrubi wrote:

> Multiple (2 external +the internal) display support seems to be broken
> starting by Qubes 3.2rc*
>
> * display settings are not saved.
> - under KDE it is saved somehow, but have to be disable composition
> for stable operation. But still not always keep after reboot :(

Started to investigate this issue by:

- resetting ALL the settings in dom0 by removed all the old config files
This gives me a state of a clean install - at least regarding the dom0
GUI settings.

- the first time I attached my external displays always failing
resulting a scattered display. If that happens delete all the kscreen
settings located at: .local/share/kscreen/

The workaround for this is attaching the external display BEFORE boot,
or at least before logging in.

- after successfully setup all the external displays I copied the
kscreen configs located here: .local/share/kscreen/
to a safe place like the ~/Documents folder.

It seems to be storing all the unique display configurations in separate
files. So for me it was one for the external screens attached and
another one for the single internal display.

Whenever my display settings are lost for any reason I checked the
directory above and compared the files against the saved ones.
It shows that for some reason they where changed - even if I was never
touched the screen settings.

For a workaround I just copied back the files I saved to the original
locations then reboot/relog and got back my working display setup :)

Since it is a local user settings this can be done automatically by some
early X bash or KDE scripts - but still have to figure out the way it
works...

> * panel are not sticked to my internal (primary) display.
> Both KDE and XFCE behaving this way. My panel gets replaced to the
> most left display instead of the primary one. Really annoying.

This may be related to the messed up display settings. For now I haven't
seen this issue as I using the workaround described above.

--
Zrubi

cang...@gmail.com

Jun 15, 2018, 10:01:12 PM6/15/18
to qubes-users
Hi Laszlo,
Can I learn which docking station you are using?
Thank you

Zrubi

Jun 18, 2018, 7:44:44 AM6/18/18
to cang...@gmail.com, qubes-users

Others call me jean

Jun 18, 2018, 5:53:57 PM6/18/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi

I'm very interessted in this blog post. Thanks!