HCL - Thinkpad X1 Carbon 6th gen - Qubes 4.0

fiasc...@gmail.com

Apr 16, 2018, 6:14:43 PM4/16/18
to qubes-users

1. I have the model with a touch screen and I haven't debugged how to make it work yet (I'll get to that and post back what worked).

2. Suspend/resume doesn't work and I have to do a hard reset. A few times (not all) I had to hard reset twice to get it to reboot properly.

3. HCL reports no TPM, but I have a dTPM 2.0.

It's booting with UEFI smoothly. I haven't tested the mic, camera, or ports except USB for storage yet. I'll update once I find fixes for the above. If anyone could point me in the right direction for the suspend freezing issue, let me know. I tried shutting down all VMs, including service VMs after reading this, https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/81t26xq4MEI/HrfDEcjeAgAJ but the problem persisted didn't change anything.

Qubes-HCL-LENOVO-20KH002JUS-20180416-115836.yml

bbrr...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 4:34:34 AM4/17/18
to qubes-users

Might be worth flashing to most recent BIOS. (I did that straight away on my T480 so I'm not sure if that contributed to suspend eventually working well)

fiasc...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 5:07:54 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users

Tried that before anything else.

fiasc...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 5:11:37 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users
I'm going to try seeing what drivers are loaded and if any of those are the cause. https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/wireless-troubleshooting/
Blacklisting the two wifi drivers as per the above did not fix it.

srvl...@gmail.com

Apr 17, 2018, 9:05:22 PM4/17/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, April 16, 2018 at 2:14:43 PM UTC-8, fiasc...@gmail.com wrote:

> 2. Suspend/resume doesn't work and I have to do a hard reset. A few times (not all) I had to hard reset twice to get it to reboot properly.

I had an issue similar to this in my Skylake Thinkpad (T460). In dom0, try adding i915.enable_rc6=0 to your /etc/default/grub grub_cmdline.

Then run:

grub2-mkconfig --output /boot/grub2/grub.cfg

and reboot.

beast...@gmail.com

Apr 19, 2018, 5:50:36 PM4/19/18
to qubes-users
I tried that, and confirmed that I changed the setting by watching this value toggle from 1 to 0 and back on multiple reboots:
cat /sys/class/drm/card0/power/rc6_enable

Since I'm on EFI, I manually edited the /boot/efi/EFI/qubes/xen.cfg file and didn't run grub2-mkconfig and it still turned rc6 off and on with that parameter you mentioned.

It didn't help my suspend issues. It suspends, and the power button blinks slowly, then no matter what I do (clicking power, typing, clicking the mouse, plugging and unplugging cables) nothing changes that steady blink of the power button until I hold it for ~10seconds.

There's another value in the KERNEL parameter, i915.aplha_support=1. I changed it to 0 as well (which disables it). This also had no effect.

I need to learn how to troubleshoot this better. I'm at a loss right now.

eriked...@gmail.com

May 8, 2018, 8:51:04 AM5/8/18
to qubes-users
I just got a 6th gen X1 Carbon, and I have the same issue with suspend. I tried updating to the unstable kernel, but suspend still didn't work. The kernel version I have now is 4.15.6-1.pvops.qubes.x86_64.

eriked...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 2:43:15 AM5/9/18
to qubes-users
According to my googling yesterday, this is not an issue isolated to Qubes. It appears to be an issue across the board for Linux and 6th gen X1 Carbon (and some Yoga models). The issue is apparently that the BIOS does not list S3 as a supported suspend mode. Instead, Lenovo opted for another type of suspend from Microsoft called S0i3. Now, this _should_ have support from kernel version 4.13+, so it _should_ not be an issue, but it appears the problems are at least widespread.

There is a collection of links and information on the Arch wiki relating to this issue.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Lenovo_ThinkPad_X1_Carbon_(Gen_6)

One workaround that people have apparently had success with is to manually patch ACPI DSDT tables (whatever those are). As far as I understand, this makes the BIOS report S3 as a supported mode.

beast...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 1:08:48 PM5/9/18
to qubes-users
This is excellent. I can't risk having issues with this machine for a few days, but starting Monday I will have a week off and will try this. Let me know if this works for you ahead of time. Have you used the details at the same link to get the touchscreen working, or does you not have the touch screen?
Thanks, and I can't believe I didn't look this up before.

eriked...@gmail.com

May 9, 2018, 1:55:28 PM5/9/18
to qubes-users
I don't _think_ I have a touch screen, so I hadn't even considered it.

I started following the DSDT patching instructions, and it seemed relatively easy to follow, but I had to stop once the instructions started talking about configuring grub. I use UEFI for booting, so I'm not sure this even makes sense in my case. Are DSDT tables used for UEFI too? I'm genuinely pretty clueless about these things.

I tried setting a kernel parameter acpi.ec_no_wakeup=1 at boot, and I'm fairly certain I got it right, but suspend still doesn't work. Or rather, to be specific, waking up from suspend doesn't work.

I also tried looking in the systemd logs for any suspend errors, but I found nothing (but I don't know what to look for).
In dom0, I ran

dom0$ sudo journalctl

and I found the logs for when it does suspend, but nothing for waking up.

eriked...@gmail.com

May 24, 2018, 5:21:03 AM5/24/18
to qubes-users
I reinstalled Qubes with legacy boot instead, which uses grub2. I followed the instructions for patching the ACPI DSDT tables found here:

https://delta-xi.net/#056

Unfortunately I wasn't able to get it to work. The instructions are for grub1 while Qubes installs grub2. I tried to adapt the instructions, but I ended up with an unbootable system (which I was prepared for).

The other way forward, which I think is probably our best bet, is to wait for the new suspend mode to be properly supported under Linux. It _seems_ like it should be supported in kernel 4.15, but that mileage varies by a lot.

beast...@gmail.com

May 24, 2018, 3:21:08 PM5/24/18
to qubes-users
I want to try adapting the grub instructions to EFI and patching tables that way, but won't have a laptop I can use in place of my current one until late june/early july. I'll report back then on what works if 4.15 isn't already solving the problem. Thank you for trying this though.
Message has been deleted

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 5, 2018, 9:57:42 PM8/5/18
to qubes-users
Just installed Qubes R4.0 on my X1 Carbon Gen 6 to find this issue still persists. Has anyone in this thread had any luck? I will not that I have not yet connected the device to the internet and, thus, have not run any updates for dom0.

eriked...@gmail.com

Aug 6, 2018, 4:18:26 AM8/6/18
to qubes-users
On Monday, August 6, 2018 at 3:57:42 AM UTC+2, richard...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just installed Qubes R4.0 on my X1 Carbon Gen 6 to find this issue still persists. Has anyone in this thread had any luck? I will not that I have not yet connected the device to the internet and, thus, have not run any updates for dom0.

There is another thread, which appears to have made progress:

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/qubes-users/TmGDlkluJgM/fn4wc2E5CQAJ

richard...@gmail.com

Aug 11, 2018, 7:15:25 PM8/11/18
to qubes-users
Using the instructions in the post you referenced, I was able to apply the kernel patch successfully, and it finally started responding to power button presses from sleep!

But it would immediately freeze up on wake at either a black screen or at XScreenSaver password prompt.

I had to remove the USB-C Thunderbolt 3 controller from the devices list of the sys-usb vm in order to prevent this freeze, and now it works very well, with the minor annoyance of it taking a few seconds to fully recover and wake the display or respond to input.

beast...@gmail.com

Sep 26, 2018, 11:12:04 PM9/26/18
to qubes-users

Confirming that DJB's notes in that thread worked for me. Currently running 4.14.67 with patches.

Also want to note that the latest 1.30 (I'm about to install it) bios supports a toggle for Linux vs Windows sleep states. It was released around 9/8/2018.

paolo....@gmail.com

Oct 14, 2018, 4:54:39 AM10/14/18
to qubes-users

Did anyone try throttling / thermal fix described here https://github.com/erpalma/lenovo-throttling-fix ?

alex...@gmail.com

Jan 18, 2019, 8:41:43 AM1/18/19
to qubes-users
what procedures did you have to follow to get qubes installed with UEFI? I have the same laptop lenovo thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 6 and after using rufus with 'DD' it installs fine but after it restarts, it seams to load up the system files but goes to a black screen right after. just before you type in your disk password.

I have flashed to the most recent bios 1.34. I have USB UEFI BIOS Support Enabled. VT-d is enabled. secure boot is disabled. I am booting UEFI Only with CSM Support disabled.

eriked...@gmail.com

Jan 20, 2019, 4:59:23 AM1/20/19
to qubes-users
Den fredag 18 januari 2019 kl. 14:41:43 UTC+1 skrev alex...@gmail.com:
> what procedures did you have to follow to get qubes installed with UEFI? I have the same laptop lenovo thinkpad X1 Carbon gen 6 and after using rufus with 'DD' it installs fine but after it restarts, it seams to load up the system files but goes to a black screen right after. just before you type in your disk password.
>
> I have flashed to the most recent bios 1.34. I have USB UEFI BIOS Support Enabled. VT-d is enabled. secure boot is disabled. I am booting UEFI Only with CSM Support disabled.

It was a long time ago, but I'm afraid I don't remember doing anything special. It's possible I installed it with a CD instead of a USB stick.