unexpected system restart

qubenix

Apr 2, 2018, 12:31:09 PM4/2/18
to qubes-users
Hello all. I'm currently still on R3.2.

I had a situation where I was working with a normal (for me) amount of
VMs running. Nothing even close to extreme as far as cpu/mem/io/temp.
During startup of an AppVM that I use all the time, my system just did a
hard shutdown ("no input" on screen, connected with hdmi) and then right
into a restart.

How can I debug this in a useful way? Does someone have an idea what
might cause it?

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

Tai...@gmx.com

Apr 2, 2018, 3:19:24 PM4/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
The same thing happens to me and I don't understand why nor are there
any errors in the logs - other times I will be kicked to the login
screen and when I log back in the window managing is broken.
0xDF372A17.asc

cooloutac

Apr 2, 2018, 9:26:53 PM4/2/18
to qubes-users

weird. you using sleep mode at all? Checked the obvious issues like temps, hdd errors, memory stability?

qubenix

Apr 2, 2018, 10:25:18 PM4/2/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, cooloutac
cooloutac:
No sleep, checked all obvious issues.

--
qubenix
GPG: B536812904D455B491DCDCDD04BE1E61A3C2E500

Michael Vermaes

Apr 3, 2018, 12:19:31 AM4/3/18
to Tai...@gmx.com, qubes...@googlegroups.com

Not sure about the hard shutdown case, but the X restart sounds like the oom-killer issue [1] I've experienced a few times this year. I always forget to try the workaround steps in the first comment, but apparently it's possible to fix without losing work.

[1] https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-issues/issues/3079

Robert Fisk

Apr 4, 2018, 11:31:34 AM4/4/18
to qubenix, qubes...@googlegroups.com, cooloutac
Does the AppVM have any attached PCI devices? I have one R3.2 system
where starting a VM with USB controller attached occasionally causes the
whole machine to reboot.

cooloutac

Apr 4, 2018, 12:23:13 PM4/4/18
to qubes-users

do you get any errors in it? on system boot, in logs?

hmm, i'm complaining about a bug in windows 10 to asus and nvidia and they giving me a hard time so I'm slow to call it a hardware problem and write it off cause more and more its connected
.

I dunno try to reset cmos, check for bios updates, disconnect as much usb devices as possible. use usb to ps2 adapter port for keyboard.

try get a clean copy of qubes.
check parts on another mobo.

cooloutac

Apr 4, 2018, 12:29:26 PM4/4/18
to qubes-users

thats crazy.

well I know the qubes manager is super buggy. basically you just have to keep refreshing it. and it doesn't organize by type in normal manner like we are all used to from 3.2. which is also crazy lol

SO i just organize it by state. and refresh it everytime I look at it. missing cpu use though which hope it gets back in the future.

The widget is broken sometimes shows spining in use icon and doesn't show shutdown command only kill option. But you can still shut down from Qubes manager. but hey maybe we should just be killing it everytime anyways its just a vm probably won't cause any data corruption right? if it does screw it just back up on a regular basis. keep killing it. lol.

I'm being serious thats what I've always loved aobut qubes. hey my vm did something weird. let me wipe the whole thing just in case immediately and have it back 30 seconds clean again.

cooloutac

Apr 4, 2018, 12:33:23 PM4/4/18
to qubes-users

if you have another psu try that too for random restats. other then that not sure what else to tell you.

Also @Tai since you always worried about ground wires and stuff i hope you are running your pc on a free software UPS system lol.

cooloutac

Apr 4, 2018, 12:39:43 PM4/4/18
to qubes-users
On Wednesday, April 4, 2018 at 12:33:23 PM UTC-4, cooloutac wrote:
> if you have another psu try that too for random restats. other then that not sure what else to tell you.
>
> Also @Tai since you always worried about ground wires and stuff i hope you are running your pc on a free software UPS system lol.

where I use to live we would also call bullets the electrical charges the cable companies would try to send through the lines to destroy your illegal box. I remember I had one for years half fried, basically breadboarded going for years lol. People would come over my house and go wtf is that and i would say thats my cable box. hahah.

Basically you use to buy them in the street from building supers or the cable guys themselves. anybody, there is nobody stopping anybody from climbing up a pole dressed as a tree or utility guy. going to side of your house and messing with the box. in most places of this country. some places have neighborhood watch most don't.

IN Qubes we assume even our sys-net is compromised. forget about the router lol. and thats probably the qube I am deleting the most. Its one of the things I miss about 3.2 Qubes-manager, those yellow triangles when it didn't give enough memory back.