Possible to run a launcher (like Synapse) in Qubes?

Gaiko Kyofusho

Oct 14, 2016, 6:43:54 PM10/14/16
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
given qubes separation is it possible to run something like Synapse (or some similar launcher) in Qubes?

It would be awesome to have times that one could say start typing the VM Name <Tab to complete> then start typing the app <tab to complete again>.

For those of use using Qubes on a laptop with a miserable touchpad a proper launcher is sorely missed.

pixel fairy

Oct 15, 2016, 4:13:05 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

you could make shortcut bash scripts with qvm-run. bash would then tab complete for you. see the man page (either 'man qvm-run' or see here, https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/dom0-tools/qvm-run/ ) and the desktop files in ~/.local/share/applications in dom0.

pixel fairy

Oct 15, 2016, 4:16:23 AM10/15/16
On Saturday, October 15, 2016 at 4:13:05 AM UTC-4, pixel fairy wrote:
> On Friday, October 14, 2016 at 6:43:54 PM UTC-4, Gaiko Kyofusho wrote:
> > given qubes separation is it possible to run something like Synapse (or some similar launcher) in Qubes?

theres nothing in qubes preventing this. its already in the repo. but, its best not to add anything to dom0.

pixel fairy

Oct 15, 2016, 4:18:12 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Q (upper-left) / system tools / keyboard
there you can add a shortcut to terminal so you dont even need your mouse to pull it up.

pleo...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 4:57:39 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
leave qubes its system security by obscurity
they even dont care about root account.

this is very wrong

pleo...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 4:59:47 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com
Ubuntu with apparmor probobly was much safer than this stupid 1 topology system.

gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Oct 15, 2016, 10:41:24 AM10/15/16
to qubes-users, gaikokuji...@gmail.com

Thanks for the ideas. I was really hoping for something "smooth" (work-flow and looking) like synapse or Gnome-Do _but_ not if it compromises sec and as you said, putting things in dom0 isn't a great idea.

This is a bit of a side question but I think its realated and given what you said likely has the same answer but is it possible to have a clipboard manager (eg clipman, kilpper, or copyq) work across VMs? The assumption is "no" but hope springs eternal ;)