Yubikey in Challenge Response mode in Qubes 3.2

rob_66

Nov 26, 2017, 5:04:29 PM11/26/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hi.

Can anybody confirm, set-up(s) described in the links below – thanks,
mig5 ! – still work today, in completely updated Qubes 3.2, Yubikey Neo,
usbVM Fedora 25?

I'm not interested in locking me out of the system. ;)

( https://mig5.net/content/yubikey-challenge-response-mode-qubes )
https://mig5.net/content/yubikey-2fa-qubes-redux-adding-backup-key

Cheers, thanks,

Rob

Yuraeitha

Nov 27, 2017, 12:30:48 AM11/27/17
to qubes-users
I believe to remember it mentioned somewhere that the hardware key is an additional login measure, so that you can use both password and a hardware key, interchangeably. Then you can make the password really long and complex, and keep it in a safe place. Then use your hardware key while on the go. (For example). For as long as both the password and the hardware key has good entropy and long, then it should be hard to crack open.

Whether this is correct or not, I do not have the time right now to check it, as I'm on my way out of the door. But maybe you can try search for this.

Also maybe run a backup before you try anything too, so you got extra redundancy before trying this out.

Tom Zander

Nov 27, 2017, 5:19:54 AM11/27/17
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, Yuraeitha
On Monday, 27 November 2017 06:30:48 CET Yuraeitha wrote:
> I wonder how such misunderstandings, or false interpretations, can be
> avoided among the people, like me, who are learning about Qubes (and
> Linux in general). But that's something for another time and topic, but
> an interesting one nonetheless.

Personally I’d say that the majority of this problem comes from the mis-
design that VMs like debian and even fedora are maintained by DNF/yum.
To do a system upgrade by downloading a new RPM makes no sense as that
completely destroys all changes made in the template. For instance new
software that was installed.

If qubes were to disconnect the idea that an RPM of several hundred MBs is
the way to download/install/upgrade a VM, it would become much easier to
understand.

Maybe in Qubes 5 :)
--
Tom Zander