Recommended wireless or Ethernet card / chipset

EW

Dec 19, 2017, 12:07:16 AM12/19/17
to qubes-users
Hi!

trying to make Qubes 4.0 work on a brand new Ryzen based laptop. No built-in ethernet and wireless not working with Linux (yet). Acquired USB ethernet and wireless which both work out of the box in Ubuntu but not in Qubes,
They are not seen with sys-usb or "USB in sys-net" options, but are at least seen when installing without defined USB assignment. However, then using manager to assign to sys-net, they never "get there"...

I tried a lot of things from various posts but to no avail, I'm going to just assume for now that the HW is not compatible (they are USB 3 adapters, some posts are at least opening the possibility that USB 3 is no really supported yet). The system worked off of a USB 3 based SD card though (before I installed to bullt-in SSD).

Thus my question - any proposals for "out-of-box" adapters or chipsets?

Thanks,
E.

Tai...@gmx.com

Dec 19, 2017, 4:16:19 AM12/19/17
to EW, qubes-users
You don't want a crappy usb networking adapter.

Get a half mini pci-e card that uses an A9K or A5K driver, look on the
linux wireless wiki for ones that have open source drivers and no binary
firmware modules required.
Get one that has the max amount of antenna connections your laptop
supports (mine is 3x3) - I would suggest a dual band 802.11A/N, AFAIK
there are no open source linux drivers for AC chips but A is still
plenty fast.

I assume your laptop has a mini pci-e slot like most (mine has two)

In the future I would buy something that has integrated ethernet as that
is always better supported - I can't believe all the major brands are
following apples lead and making you buy a dongle for everything while
saying stupid stuff like "ethernet is legacy"....I don't know what is
"legacy" about the 10gbps that should be coming standard on every device
- and in reality AC will never ever have the security, speed and
it-just-works of even 1gbps ethernet as wireless is simply terrible.

Franz

Dec 19, 2017, 4:38:49 AM12/19/17
to EW, qubes-users
never had to try network adapters, but long time ago solved problems with unreliable USB controllers by setting them from USB 3 to USB 2 on BIOS.

Sven Semmler

Jan 6, 2018, 11:14:53 PM1/6/18
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

Tai...@gmx.com

Jan 7, 2018, 2:28:31 PM1/7/18
to Sven Semmler, qubes...@googlegroups.com
On 01/06/2018 11:14 PM, Sven Semmler wrote:

> On 12/18/2017 11:07 PM, 'EW' via qubes-users wrote:
>
>> I tried a lot of things from various posts but to no avail, I'm
>> going to just assume for now that the HW is not compatible (they
>> are USB 3 adapters, some posts are at least opening the possibility
>> that USB 3 is no really supported yet). The system worked off of a
>> USB 3 based SD card though (before I installed to bullt-in SSD).
> Yep, got trouble with USB3 too. As far as USB-to-Ethernet adapters are
> concerned I had success with Apple's (which is USB2)...
>
> https://www.apple.com/shop/product/MC704LL/A/apple-usb-ethernet-adapter
Apple? seriously? not only will you pay way too much money but you will
be supporting a company that truly hates hardware freedom and products
you can actually use for real work.