help updating dom0 - no network - stuck with lots of pending updates

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 9:23:40 AM12/12/16
to qubes-users
I'm trying to update dom0, (419 Updates Selected).

After searching for infos on qubesOS website and from google, after various attempt, I'm still getting this message from dom0 :

"None of the selected packages could be updated."

When I click "check for new Updates", i'm getting this message :

"There is no network connection available. Please check your connection settings and try again"

I'm still having 419 Updates to make ....

I just upgraded from Qubes Os 3.1 to Qubes release 3.2 (R3.2)

You can find the logs from the command "sudo qubes-dom0-update --clean" here :

http://pastebin.com/Em0W21YV

Any help to properly update my dom0 will be very appreciated.

Thanks

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 12, 2016, 9:57:32 AM12/12/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 12, 2016, 10:52:53 AM12/12/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> If updates are already downloaded (it looks so), you can try running
> "sudo dnf update" in dom0 - maybe it will be better at resolving
> dependencies.

[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo dnf update
sudo: dnf: command not found

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 12, 2016, 4:48:53 PM12/12/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2016, 8:42:33 AM12/13/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> Is your sys-firewall based on Debian template? If so, there is
> additional step in the upgrade procedure.

this is what I've done :

sudo qubes-dom0-update systemd-compat-libs perl-libwww-perl perl-Term-ANSIColor perl-Term-Cap gdk-pixbuf2-xlib speexdsp qubes-mgmt-salt-admin-tools lvm2

--> n

sudo qubes-don0-update --clean

this is the results of "yum info qubes-core-dom0" :

Installed Packages
Name : qubes-core-dom0
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.1.18
Release : 1.fc20
Size : 1.7 M
Repo : installed
From repo : qubes-dom0-cached
License : GPL
Description : The Qubes core files for installation on Dom0.

Available Packages
Name : qubes-core-dom0
Arch : x86_64
Version : 3.2.12
Release : 1.fc23
Size : 328 k
Repo : qubes-dom0-cached
License : GPL
Description : The Qubes core files for installation on Dom0.

I'm still stuck with 411 pending updates.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 14, 2016, 9:55:14 AM12/14/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 10:08:35 AM12/14/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com
After running this process a couple times :

https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/upgrade-to-r3.2/

I think I was able to upgrade to 3.2, but with new problems

Here's the results for "yum info qubes-core-dom0" :

Redirecting to '/usr/bin/dnf info qubes-core-dom0' (see 'man yum2dnf')

Failed to synchonize cache for repo 'updates', disabling.
Failed to synchonize cache for repo 'fedora', disabling.
Failed to synchonize cache for repo 'qubes-templates-itl', disabling.
Failed to synchonize cache for repo 'qubes-dom0-current', disabling.

Installed Packages:
Name : qubes-core-dom0
Arch : x86_64

Version : 3.2.12
Release : 1.fc23
Size : 1.7 M
Repo : @System

License : GPL
Description : The Qubes core files for installation on Dom0.

I also notice that there is no more wifi network.

And when I try to start a VM i get this message :

"Error starting VM 'email': Error: Failed to connect to qmemman: [errno 2] no such file or directory"

Anyone can help to properly finish this upgrade to 3.2 process ?

Andrew David Wong

Dec 14, 2016, 11:37:07 AM12/14/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2016, 12:12:00 PM12/14/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> Did you proceed to upgrade your TemplateVMs according to the instructions after upgrading dom0?

after rebooting as decribe in step #7 from upgrading dom0 (Reboot Dom0) :

Only dom0 is in an active state.

When i try to start a terminal for Template: debian-8, i get this message :

"Starting the 'debian-8' VM ... error while starting the debian-8 'VM': ERROR: failed to connect to qmemman : [errno 2] no such file or directory"

So no i didn't proceed to upgrade my TemplateVMs ... I'm not able to open a terminal ! (And trying to update from Qubes VM Manager gives me the same message)

Also, I don't see how I can upgrade something new if I can't connect to a network (not even wired)

Andrew David Wong

Dec 15, 2016, 4:02:33 AM12/15/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2016, 8:35:46 AM12/15/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> Yes, I see the problem. It sounds like your ServiceVMs are based on
> debian-8. Have you tried basing them on the default Fedora template
> instead?

Ok, I have now assign sys-net & sys-firewall to fedora-23 TemplateVM, I still have the same qmemman error.

Is it normal that when I start my computer (after decryption) that my desktop looks like this (this is also how my desktop looked like before the upgrade) :

https://s23.postimg.org/tgs6vy8yj/006.jpg

and now (after the upgrade) looks like this :

https://s30.postimg.org/o1ot24zoh/007.jpg

In the last picture you can see that only dom0 is in active state with 3934 MB as MEM. (its always at 3934 MB)

Andrew David Wong

Dec 15, 2016, 8:45:24 AM12/15/16

On 2016-12-15 05:35, jasonwals...@gmail.com wrote:

>> Yes, I see the problem. It sounds like your ServiceVMs are based
>> on debian-8. Have you tried basing them on the default Fedora
>> template instead?
>
> Ok, I have now assign sys-net & sys-firewall to fedora-23
> TemplateVM, I still have the same qmemman error.

- From this thread:

https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/s3FJWqKw6Ps/discussion

'Please check "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman", or better "sudo
journalctl -u qubes-qmemman" for error messages. Then you can restart
the service with "sudo systemctl restart qubes-qmemman".'

> Is it normal that when I start my computer (after decryption) that
> my desktop looks like this (this is also how my desktop looked like
> before the upgrade) :
>
> https://s23.postimg.org/tgs6vy8yj/006.jpg
>
> and now (after the upgrade) looks like this :
>
> https://s30.postimg.org/o1ot24zoh/007.jpg

Looks pretty normal to me. Is there any particular part that seems
abnormal to you?

> In the last picture you can see that only dom0 is in active state
> with 3934 MB as MEM. (its always at 3934 MB)

Since you don't have any other VMs running, all available memory is
allocated to dom0. Normally, it would be dynamically reallocated as
you start more VMs (but I know that you can't currently start any more
VMs).

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2016, 10:10:12 AM12/15/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> - From this thread:
>
> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/s3FJWqKw6Ps/discussion
>
> 'Please check "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman", or better "sudo
> journalctl -u qubes-qmemman" for error messages. Then you can restart
> the service with "sudo systemctl restart qubes-qmemman".'

results for "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman" (I'm not able to transfer logs to another computer from dom0 at the moment so i need to write the logs ...) :

Active: failed (Results: exit-code)
Process: 2081 ExecStart=/usr/lib/qubes/qmemman_deamon.py (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 2081 (code-exited, status=1/FAILURE)

qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: self.connect_unixsocket(address)
qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/logging/handlers.py" line 789, in connect_unixsocket
qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: self.socket.connect(address)
qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: return getadttr(self._sock,name)(*args)
qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: socket.error: [errno 111] Connection refused

systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
systemd[1]: Failed to start Qubes memory management deamon
systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Unit entered failed state.
systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'

it seams to be the same error for "sudo journalctl -u qubes-qmemman"

In Qubes VM manager, when I right click on dom0 and then click on VM settings, nothing happens, I can infinitly click on "VM settings". This does not apply to other VMs.

Andrew David Wong

Dec 15, 2016, 11:32:56 AM12/15/16

On 12/15/16 07:10, jasonwals...@gmail.com wrote:

>> - From this thread:
>>
>> https://groups.google.com/d/topic/qubes-users/s3FJWqKw6Ps/discussion
>>
>> 'Please check "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman", or better "sudo
>> journalctl -u qubes-qmemman" for error messages. Then you can restart
>> the service with "sudo systemctl restart qubes-qmemman".'
>

> results for "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman" (I'm not able to transfer logs to another computer from dom0 at the moment so i need to write the logs ...) :
>
> Active: failed (Results: exit-code)
> Process: 2081 ExecStart=/usr/lib/qubes/qmemman_deamon.py (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
> Main PID: 2081 (code-exited, status=1/FAILURE)
>
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: self.connect_unixsocket(address)
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/logging/handlers.py" line 789, in connect_unixsocket
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: self.socket.connect(address)
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: File "/usr/lib64/python2.7/socket.py", line 228, in meth
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: return getadttr(self._sock,name)(*args)
> qmemman_deamon.py[2081]: socket.error: [errno 111] Connection refused
>
> systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
> systemd[1]: Failed to start Qubes memory management deamon
> systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Unit entered failed state.
> systemd[1]: qubes-qmemman.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'
>
> it seams to be the same error for "sudo journalctl -u qubes-qmemman"

And what happens when you restart qubes-qmemman?

> In Qubes VM manager, when I right click on dom0 and then click on VM settings, nothing happens, I can infinitly click on "VM settings". This does not apply to other VMs.

That menu option doesn't do anything for dom0, so what you describe is normal. (But admittedly sub-optimal from a UX perspective. We're working on that.)

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2016, 12:00:28 PM12/15/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> And what happens when you restart qubes-qmemman?

this :

Job for qubes-qmemman.service failed because the control process exited with error code. See "systemctl status qubes-qmemman.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

"sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman.service" returns the same kind of error as "sudo systemctl status qubes-qmemman" and "sudo journalctl -xe" is a bit long to copy, let me know if there is something specific to look there.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 15, 2016, 9:52:45 PM12/15/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 7:58:35 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> This looks like a problem with connecting to syslog. Do you have
> /dev/log in place? It should be something like this:
>
> [marmarek@dom0 ~]$ ls -l /dev/log
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 28 Dec 13 23:57 /dev/log -> /run/systemd/journal/dev-log

[user@dom0 ~]$ ls -l /dev/log
srw-rw-rw- 1 root root 0 Dec 16 07:32 /dev/log
[user@dom0 ~]$/run/systemd/journal/dev-log
bash: /run/systemd/journal/dev-log: Permission denied
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo /run/systemd/journal/dev-log
sudo: /run/systemd/journal/dev-log: command not found

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 16, 2016, 10:05:52 AM12/16/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users

ve2...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2016, 10:59:34 AM12/16/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> It isn't a command, it should be a socket. But apparently it doesn't
> exist. Check status of systemd unit providing it:
>
> systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
>
> You may want to remove /dev/log and restart above unit (sudo systemctl
> restart systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket).

[user@dom0 ~]$ systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo rm -rf /dev/log
[user@dom0 ~]$ systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
Loaded: not-found (Reason: No such file or directory)
Active: inactive (dead)
[user@dom0 ~]$

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 16, 2016, 1:09:17 PM12/16/16
to ve2...@gmail.com, qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 17, 2016, 12:40:49 AM12/17/16
to qubes-users, ve2...@gmail.com, jasonwals...@gmail.com

> > > It isn't a command, it should be a socket. But apparently it doesn't
> > > exist. Check status of systemd unit providing it:
> > >
> > > systemctl status systemd-journcald-dev-log.socket
>
> A typo here, should be systemd-journald-dev-log.socket

[user@dom0 ~]$ systemctl status systemd-journal-dev-log.socket
systemd-journal-dev-log.socket - Journal Socket (/dev/log)
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/systemd-journal-dev-log.socket; statis; vendor preset: disabled)
Active: inactive (dead) since Sat 2016-12-17 00:26:10 EST; 1min 49s ago
Docs: man:systemd-journal.service(8)
man:journald.conf(5)
Listen: /run/systemd/journal/dev-log (Datagram)

Dec 17 00:26:10 dom0 systemd[1]: Stopping Journal Socket (/dev/log).
Dec 17 00:26:10 dom0 systemd[1]: systemd-journald-dev-log.socket: Socket service systemd-journald.service already active, refusing.
Dec 17 00:26:10 dom0 systemd[1]: Failed to listen on Journal Socket (/dev/log).

[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo rm -rf /dev/log

[user@dom0 ~]$ sudo systemctl restart systemd-journald-dev-log.socket
Job for systemd-journald-dev-log.socket failed. See "systemctl status systemd-journald-dev-log.socket" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
[user@dom0 ~]$

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2016, 9:11:58 AM12/20/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com
There is a typo in my last message but it was written as "journald-dev-log" rather than "journal-dev-log".

Is there something to do with my problems with dom0 ? At the bare minimum I would like at least to recover my files from my VMs.

Thanks

raah...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2016, 5:56:40 PM12/20/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com

I had similar probs. clean install is way to go in future imo. Backups restored no problems. Only tip is if you make alot of changes to the default templates. clone them instead and use the clone for your vms, to ensure they get restored properly when backed up. But appvms should be no probs.

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2016, 9:03:06 AM12/22/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

Luckily, I was able to backup all my VMs from the state my computer was.

I did a clean install, now Qubes work as it should.

Just one thing : I want to use my backed up "debian-8" TemplateVM, how can I replace the original "debian-8" ? I'm not able to delete it and as long as its there I won't be able to retore my backed up "debian-8" Template VM.

All my appVMs restored without problems.

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 22, 2016, 9:06:06 AM12/22/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 22, 2016, 11:40:02 AM12/22/16
to qubes-users, jasonwals...@gmail.com, raah...@gmail.com

> > Just one thing : I want to use my backed up "debian-8" TemplateVM, how can I replace the original "debian-8" ? I'm not able to delete it and as long as its there I won't be able to retore my backed up "debian-8" Template VM.
>
> Command line version of restore tool (qvm-backup-restore) allow you to
> rename conflicting VMs (--rename-conflicting). The template will be
> restored under different name (with "1" at the end), then you can switch
> your VMs to that template. And after you switch all the VMs, you can
> remove old template, and possibly rename the restored one back to
> debian-8.

I was able to restore all VMs with this command :

"qvm-backup-restore -d sys-net --rename-conflicting /run/media/user/New\ Volume/qubesbackup/qubes-2016-12-21T080046"

so now my (backed up) "debian-8" is "debian-81". It had been updated.

some AppVMs start properly, others doesn't : with this error message :

"Error starting VM: Requested operation is not valid: PCI device 0000:00:19:.0 is in use by driver xenlight, domain sys-net"

Is there something to do to access those VMs ?

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Dec 22, 2016, 5:10:53 PM12/22/16
to jasonwals...@gmail.com, qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

jasonwals...@gmail.com

Dec 26, 2016, 2:51:50 PM12/26/16
to qubes-users

> Check what netvm is set for those VMs. I guess currently you have two of
> them: sys-net and (just restored) sys-net1. Choose which one you want to
> use and remove the other.

Thanks a lot Marek and Andrew for your help and patience. I now have access to all my AppVMs.