Qubes 3.0 rc1 Error reset PCI network card in notebook

jeremia...@web.de

Jun 2, 2015, 5:20:30 PM6/2/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I can not start the sys-net VM with my PCI network card attached.

Internel error:
Unable to reset PCI device 0000:04:00.2:
internal error: Active 0000:04:00.0 devices on bus with 0000:04:00.2
not doing bus reset

This happens only in Qubes 3.0 rc1 and not in Qubes 2.0

Network card:
Ethernet controller: Realtek RTL 8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit

Best regards
J. Eppler

Marek Marczykowski-Górecki

Jun 2, 2015, 5:59:09 PM6/2/15
to jeremia...@web.de, qubes...@googlegroups.com

je.e...@web.de

Jun 13, 2015, 6:57:47 AM6/13/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, jeremia...@web.de
Hello,

I assigned device 04:00.0 and device 04:00.2 to the sys-net VM. But than
I got the error that the sys-net VM can not start because the qrexec
daemon was not able to start.

04:00.0 is an sd card reader with bad driver support in Linux.

I also installed Qubes R3 RC1 again and after the installation I got a
long error message that sys-net VM was not able to start, because of the
qrexec and libvirt. Furthermore I got a message that the disposable VM
could not be created either.

Remark: I don't have Intel VT-d on my laptop.

Best regards
J. Eppler

Alex

Jun 13, 2015, 7:05:13 AM6/13/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com

je.e...@web.de

Jun 13, 2015, 2:37:19 PM6/13/15
to qubes...@googlegroups.com, alex...@gmx.com
Hello,

this solution works.

Thank you very much.

Clark Venable

Sep 20, 2016, 4:15:23 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com
I know it's more than a year after this thread was last active, but this could solve my problems, I think, if I could just get some more details on how to apply the fix described.

I have a new System76 Lemur laptop which I have installed Qubes 3.1 onto. As described in this thread, when I try to launch any VM I receive an error that says;

"Error starting VM: internal error: Unable to reset PCI device 0000:01:00.1: internal error Active 0000:01:00.0 on bus with 0000:01:00.1, not doing reset"

I know from VMSettings-->Devices that
01:00.0 is "Unassigned class [ff00] Realtek Semiconductor Co, Ltd. Device 5287 (rev01)"
and
01:00.1 is "Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co, Ltd. RTL81118168-8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 12)"

So would I edit bashrc to include the following?

if [ -f /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove ]
then
echo -n "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove
fi

Thanks for any pointers. New to Qubes and Linux (OS X user since the beta).

Clark

J. Eppler

Sep 20, 2016, 6:22:13 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com
Hello,

you can try the following. Assign the ethernet controller to a net VM (e. g. sys-net).

Open a terminal (Konsole, XFCE) and typte in:

sudo echo -n "1" > /sys/bus/pci/devices/0000\:01\:00.0/remove

try to start the net VM, which has the ethernet controller attached.

This should work.

The next step to remove it on startup via script.

J. Eppler

Sep 20, 2016, 6:48:03 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users, alex...@gmx.com
I forgot to mention: Open a terminal (Konsole) in Dom0. Dom0 is your main Desktop. You shoul be able to open it in `Menu -> Terminal` or `Menu -> System -> Konsole` or something like that.

Clark Venable

Sep 20, 2016, 6:55:05 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
By 'assign the ethernet controller to a net-VM', do you mean in VMSettings-->Devices?

When I go there for the VM sys-net that controller is already in the 'Selected' pane on the right.

I then right-clicked the sys-net VM in VM Manager and chose to run a command as above.

Got a pop up error which restated prior error.

Clark Venable

Sep 20, 2016, 7:04:36 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users

Same thing in the dom0 Konsole.

To clarify, should I be typing the escape backstroke character in the command line?

Clark Venable

Sep 20, 2016, 7:11:59 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Progress! Now a different error message appears when I try to launch a copy of the sys-net template: "Cannot execute qrexec-daemon!"

J. Eppler

Sep 20, 2016, 8:45:08 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

> Progress!

great.

> Now a different error message appears when I try to launch a copy of the sys-net template: "Cannot execute qrexec-daemon!"

okay, did you copy the sys-net template or the VM? Can you explain in more detail what you did?

Clark Venable

Sep 20, 2016, 10:21:19 PM9/20/16
to qubes-users
Mr. Eppler,

I'm seeing that I made a mistake by wading into this Qubes pond. I've spent the last few hours with a brand new laptop that boots into qubes and launches dom0, net-vm and firewall-vm, but can't get any wired internet access in the Fedora23 template. And that's not even talking about wireless.

I'm just going to go back to Ubuntu as my first step away from OS X and try Qubes again later.

Thank you *very* much for your help.

Clark

J. Eppler

Sep 21, 2016, 1:27:01 AM9/21/16
to qubes-users
Hello,

it would be helpful to know the brand and model of your laptop. Maybe other people run into a similar issue or solve the issue.

best regards
J. Eppler

Clark Venable

Sep 21, 2016, 6:38:01 AM9/21/16
to qubes-users
It's a System76 Lemur. I had wanted to add to the hardware compatibility listing at qubes-os.org but never go to the point where I could run the script and get the result off the machine (so I took a pic):

BIOS 5.11
Xen: 4.6.0
Kernel 4.1.13-9

Intel Core i3-6100U @ 2.30GHz
Chipset: Sky Lake.....
VGA: Sky Lake integrated Graphics....

Net:
Realtek Semiconductor Co.... RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
Intel Corporation Wireless 3165 (rev 81)

SCSI: Samsung SSD 850 Rev: 1B6Q

HVM: Active
I/O MMU: Active
TPM: Device not found

Clark Venable

Sep 21, 2016, 5:52:45 PM9/21/16
to qubes-users
Problem solved!

After a night's sleep and some more reading I found a thread which suggested removing the offending PCI device from the "Selected" panel in sys-net-->VM Settings-->Devices, leaving only my Intel Wireless controller available.

After a restart, when I selected the Networking icon from the system tray I was able to see wireless networks and successfully joined one. I next launchd disposable VM and was able to load the fedoraproject.org page and now have network access in all vm's.

petyr....@gmail.com

Jul 29, 2019, 10:10:51 AM7/29/19
to qubes-users
I had identical problem with Qubes 4.0.1 - and the solution was the same.

Many thanks ;)