Single USB device passthrough to a HVM?

Mike Freemon

Oct 26, 2017, 6:31:25 PM10/26/17
to qubes-users
How best to pass a single USB device through to a HVM?

The scenario is: Laptop with a single USB controller. My mouse is USB,
and I have a standard sys-usb VM running to handle that. The USB
controller is of course assigned to the sys-usb VM.

I also have a USB wifi adapter. I want to attach that to a (different) HVM.

The qubes-usb-proxy _seems_ to be the right solution, but I am unable to
figure out how to install the necessary software in the HVM. The HVM is
linux, but not a standard debian or fedora distro, so I suspect that I
will need to build some components from source.

I do see these:

but I'm not fully understanding the current state of things, nor how to
proceed.

Can a single USB device be assigned to an HVM?

Is there a better/different approach I should be using?

Qubes R3.2

Thank you.