[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules

Douglas Harding

Nov 3, 2016, 4:15:08 PM11/3/16
to qubes-users
I have reinstalled 4 times. Every time it was from a fresh install.

A red "FAILED" pops up stating `[FAILED] Failed to start Load Kernel Modules`

Then I get failed messages at the bottom:

`nouveau 0000:01:00.0: gr: failed to load fecs_inst`
`nouveau 0000:01:00.0: DRM: Pointer to flat panel table invalid`

then it freezes so I have to do a hard reset.

The only issue I could think of (because nouveau) is that it's my graphics card, as nVidia has issues. However, when attempting to use the guide on the official Qubes website -- I do not have the ability to click `“failsafe” boot menu`as the only thing that shows up is:

`Qubes, with Xen hypervisor`
`Advanced Options for Qubes (with Xen hypervisor)`

When I follow "Advanced" I don't have options... However, [FAILED] is no longer red, it's just grey.

----------
What I have tried:

* reinstall several times
* make sure VT-D is enabled
* I hit "e" to do a temp edit the grub, added "failsafe" after "quiet boot"
* I'm unable to access any logs, command sends me to the grub command prompt.
* unplugging all but 1 monitor

-------------
Specs:

CPU: i5-4570k
GPU: GTX 970
RAM: 24GB (well over the min. requirements)
SSD: 240GB (plenty of space)

Can anyone offer assistance on this? Qubes has been my favorite distro to use out of the several I had been testing over the last few months.

Thank you for your time,
Douglas Harding
Message has been deleted

Douglas Harding

Nov 3, 2016, 4:38:17 PM11/3/16
to qubes-users
attempting to try R3.1 instead of R3.2 to see if it's possibly just faulty for some reason. (I did checksums, but maybe my specific configuration just won't work with 3.2). I will update after the installation is finished.

Douglas Harding

Nov 3, 2016, 4:48:01 PM11/3/16
to qubes-users
On Thursday, November 3, 2016 at 3:38:17 PM UTC-5, Douglas Harding wrote:
> attempting to try R3.1 instead of R3.2 to see if it's possibly just faulty for some reason. (I did checksums, but maybe my specific configuration just won't work with 3.2). I will update after the installation is finished.

This appears to have worked. :) I hope this helps someone else in the future.

raah...@gmail.com

Nov 3, 2016, 5:25:03 PM11/3/16
to qubes-users

I've always gotten the failed to load kernel modules, on multiple diff machines and I've just always ignored it. What worked or what did you do? Do you no longer get the message?

Douglas Harding

Nov 3, 2016, 6:40:50 PM11/3/16
to qubes-users, raah...@gmail.com

The message never let me pass it. My machine would freeze indefinitely.
To fix it, I just installed the previous version.

Patrick Bouldin

Dec 27, 2016, 6:12:57 PM12/27/16
to qubes-users
Hi,

I've been getting this message ever since loading 3.2 from scratch. It doesn't appear to have any effect though.

Does anyone know the implication of this? Should I fix?

Thanks,
Patrick
Dallas

raah...@gmail.com